Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Rogue Short Shift First Impression

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It did loosen up but the 2/3 shift is "awkward" when in a rush.
My opinion may change when I reinstall the stock shifter though.
The buzzing noise was fixed but then the stock shifter was quiet too

Old 01-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by AussieV35
It did loosen up but the 2/3 shift is "awkward" when in a rush.
My opinion may change when I reinstall the stock shifter though.
The buzzing noise was fixed but then the stock shifter was quiet too
Well, here's my opinion regarding the 2-3 shift. It may feel a little bit awkard with the RE shifter because it takes all the slop out of the shift gate. You may not have noticed this feel with the stock shifter because it has so much slop/free play in it. Therefore, you're now noticing it with the RE shifter. I don't think re-installing the stock shifter will solve that 2-3 shift. It'll only get masked by the slop of the stock shifter, but it'll still be there only a bit less noticable. I think it's something inherent in our tranny's. IMO. Good luck with this.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:37 AM
The RE short shifter definitely has a "break in" period. It was VERY stiff when I first had it installed but it feels great now. I don't really notice how much shorter it is from stock, but there are less vibrations. After installing it, I would say it was a so-so mod. Not sure if given the oppertunity I would do it again.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:58 AM
I'm confused now
My stock shift could never be termed sloppy. It was neat and precise but with slightly longer throws.
There was absolutely no noise or vibrations from it.
My car was on the wharf in Japan (all I'd seen were photos of it)when I bought the shifter after all I read about how bad the stock shifter was combined with the fact that the RE shifter was going out of production.
When I first drove the car expecting the worst I was pleasantly suprised how good it was. I fitted the RE then 'cause if this is a poor shift the RE unit must be even better still....right ...wrong.
Had I driven the car first I wouldn't have bothered as I never missed any shifts.
This impression may change when I refit the stock shift after having the RE one in a while who knows.
Could there be a difference between V35 and G35 gearboxes? (doubt it)

Old 01-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Well, to be honest with you my last several cars were BMW's and compared to the shifting action of the BMW's the G's felt a bit sloppy. Actually, it felt more vague than sloppy, IMO. If the stock action works for you, you should stick with it.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:35 PM
RE Short Shift Kit Impressions

If you are experiencing unconfident shifts, try readusting the guideplate and follow the instructions to properly align and tighten the plate to ensure smooth confident shifts. The rattles can be fixed by tightening the shift **** as it will turn further than you would think with just hand tightening. Also make sure the rubber boot on the bottom is put back on properly and secure so road debris doesn't make it inside and cause issues. It took awhile for me to get this done with some creative screwdriver and hand manipulations of the boot. I got a finger cut out of the ordeal.

As for impressions, I've had it since last August. The shorter shifts are noticeable when you first drive the car after the mod, but it feels normal to me now. Then again it only reduces the throws by 20%, so it's not significant and the shifter is slightly longer than OEM so stick height remains almost the same. I get more confident shifts (especially when I'm downshifting). Overall a positive experience and a great mod for people wanting to get their feet wet with a simple mod exercise.

Enjoy!

Old 01-14-2006, 05:52 AM
I thought adjustment of the guide plate only affected the 5/6 gates?

Old 01-14-2006, 04:06 PM
I thought adjustment of the guide plate only affected the 5/6 gates?
That's true but if that plate is loose it can cause vibration and a sloppy shift action.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm confused now
My stock shift could never be termed sloppy. It was neat and precise but with slightly longer throws.
There was absolutely no noise or vibrations from it.
+1

My car was on the wharf in Japan (all I'd seen were photos of it)when I bought the shifter after all I read about how bad the stock shifter was combined with the fact that the RE shifter was going out of production.
When I first drove the car expecting the worst I was pleasantly suprised how good it was... ...Had I driven the car first I wouldn't have bothered as I never missed any shifts

Ditto, again. Do you have an '05? I remember reading that the '05 6MT shifter felt a lot better. Because of this, the RE wasn'tas much of an improvement as was felt in the '03-'04 6MT. Replacing the 2005's OEM shifter with the RE mainly changed the feel of the shifts, as some of the other problems it resolved prior to '05 had simply been better addressed by Nissan for the '05 models.

I was also pleased with my '05 shifter, feeling only that it's a little soft. I've never missed a shift-gate. I may still install my RE to change the feel, but it's no longer the necessity that I thought it would be when I purchased it (prior to taking delivery of my G), so it's no longer a big priority. I bought it when RE was down to their last 20 or so with no plans to make another batch, so I felt I had to get one at that time.

The OEM clutch, on the other hand, is going to have to be replaced with something better.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:50 PM
I don't think just replacing the clutch will solve the issues with it. I think what everyone is experiencing with the clutch is just inherent with our hydraulic trannies. But let us know if you find any improvements when you do go with an aftermarket clutch.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the clutch, it's a matter of it already feeling weak with less than 2K miles on it that makes me think an aftermarket replacement will be needed at some point. I'm fine with the other characteristics that it has, just seems like I'm feeling the wear very early.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:56 PM
My car is an '04
Clutch seems OK to me too but am taking it to the track tonight so that will be interesting. Yes the short shifter is still fitted as do not have the time as I will be fitting my new swaybars today

Old 08-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Love my Rogue - 13,000 miles no problem

I love my Rogue shifter for the last 13,000 miles on my 2005 G35 6mt. I had mine professionally installed by Rob at ZcarGarage - no problems, no rattels, solid, a bit heavier, great throw - reminds me of my 1990 Twin Turbo Z... This should have been the factory set up. Awesome.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I installed my RE shifter a few weeks ago and so far I am very happy with it!

Great mod for the $.