Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Headers and grounding wires and sways and high flow cats oh my!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headers and grounding wires and sways and high flow cats oh my!

I finally got the rest of my **** installed - took 9hrs @rate of 80CDN/hr (~70USD/hr)

Results - VERY VERY Happy ^_^ ..... i'll try to do a mini reveiw:

sways - I don't drive my car overly hard and I'm not really into handling, but it did feel tighter in the turns. I'm certain if I was into auto-x'ing or whatever they'd be pretty great.

grounding wires - DEFINATE improvement in shifting ( 03 5a/t)..........it really feel likes it snaps into gear now on the up/down shifts instead of lagging. Can't comment on any difference in thorttle smoothness because of teh other mods, but definately improved on the shifting

headers/high flow cats - I decided to keep the stock cat-back setup - I had the injen SES but after hearing the headers/hfc, I decided to keep it stock - sounds like stock, but A LOT louder and deeper. On start-up first thing I noticed was that it's idle was quite noticeable louder and deeper........throw it into gear and it just screams. REgardless of RPM range it's pretty loud now (about as good as my old mustang w/ it's off-road setup with resonators, kinda like the Loudmouth SLP for LS1s)......although it hows like crazy above 4k RPM. Going WOT down the street, my dad could literally hear the car 10blocks away. Driving normally obviously you won't hear it from that distance, but it does scream when you get on it ^_^

Although it's pretty weird because in 1st gear from 4k to 7k RPM it sounds like my engine has a blow-off valve - under WOT it makes a REALLY loud TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS sound - I first thought this was a header leak, but it's only in 1st, only at that RPM range, and oddly enough, previously (from the spacer) in that range I was a whistling sound, so I guess headers + hfc + spacer = TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS instead of a whistling noise. In any case, the TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS is pretty cool ^_^

I definately agree with Mike - if you like the stock catback sound, leave it alone and pick up headers and hfc - a lot louder and deeper, plus you get weight savings (I swaer to god the stock cats must weigh abotu 20pds each......kinetix were light as a feather)

Oh yea, NO rasp at all on my setup (top-speed headers, kinetix hfc, stock catback, MD iso thermal plenum, z-tube, no power duct on air box)

Old 03-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrads!!! Sounds good. Wipe the smile off your face yet?

BTW What sways do you have??

Old 03-25-2006, 09:57 PM
sounds nice. mind telling us the brand of everything?

Old 03-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by aleok
++1

Old 03-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by RebelinRI
Congrads!!! Sounds good. Wipe the smile off your face yet?

BTW What sways do you have??
stillen

and hehe, not yet......i can hardly wait to start it up tomorrow - the sound on startup is so awesome now - it just has that feeling of more power, kinda like a V8

Originally Posted by aleok
no, it's a secret

topspeed pro-1 headers (my friend has seen a few nismo clones (inc. genuine nismo headers)....strupt, dc and he said the build quality on these was just as good if not better)

kinetix high flow cats (the new model that doesn't have a problem w/ cracking)

gordgee 10wire grounding kit

stillen sways

Old 03-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds great! Enjoy your new toys.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

MANY CONGRATS BUD!!!
ENJOY THOSE NEW TOYS!

I have one quick q:

I definately agree with Mike - if you like the stock catback sound, leave it alone and pick up headers and hfc
I'm one of the ones that wants to keep the STOCK sound, BUT..I want to switch out the muffler with a chrome one, like the fujitsubo (sp?) you can find on performance nissan or japan parts. Does anyone know if this will keep the STOCK sound, but give me that polished look? Just curious about that, and your post gave me the perfect opportunity to ask. Sorry if I am highjacking, but it's related to your post, so it shouldn't be ...?

Thanks Guys,

Trending Topics

Old 03-26-2006, 02:12 AM
THE BATMOBILE
good break down........glad to hear your happy with your results

Old 03-26-2006, 04:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice mini write

Old 03-26-2006, 02:01 PM
wait, how long have u had the headers on? I saw your sig awhile back ago with the headers and I assumed u had them on but if u just recently just installed them, u might have a leak after all and your ecu hasnt really adjusted yet until 500+ miles with the new setup. Wish u the best of luck.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Obsessive Owner
glad to hear your happy man. I STILL have the smile on my face. Your right, I love starting up my car now, especially in the garage. I find myself getting so much worse MPG because im always letting it get up to 4k before I shift, just so I can hear it go through the gears and watch alllll the heads turn and jaws drop

Old 03-27-2006, 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
wait, how long have u had the headers on? I saw your sig awhile back ago with the headers and I assumed u had them on but if u just recently just installed them, u might have a leak after all and your ecu hasnt really adjusted yet until 500+ miles with the new setup. Wish u the best of luck.
i reset the ECU right after i installed them; had a friend listen to it too today and he's pretty convinced it's not a leak, just the sound of more air coming in ^_^

They were in my 'to be installed' section of my sig before; now they're in my installed section fo the sig ^_^