Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Z-Tube, 5/8 Plenum, RTS Cats, and BorlaTD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z-Tube, 5/8 Plenum, RTS Cats, and BorlaTD

Is a good setup with noticiable power gains, a conservative exhaust note, and no rasp i.e. farting when off the throttle.

Over the past year I have installed the following bits and pieces to my G35Coupe in this order.

1. Borla Cat Back True Dual Exhaust - 800$ ish Self installed
This added some more depth to the sound and a bit of HP and Torque in the higher rpm range. When under 4k ish the sound is quiet, over 4K things pick up. No Drone what so ever. I have had lots of "friends" say "Wow that sounds great, nothing like i expected, where is the fart sound?"

2. 350Z Intake Tube - 100$ Self Installed
This added a little whistle sound when throttling but not much else. I understand that there is a HP gain but I didn't notice anything.

3. 5/8 Motordyne Plenum Spacer - GB on this site. Self Installed
Best bang for the buck. This puppy really made me say wow. With most bolt ons using a butt dyno I can't really be positive they are making a difference but with this one I can. It added some depth to the Exhaust note as well.

At this point I am able to light up the VDC when getting on it in 1st gear almost at will which I was unable to do before bolting on these parts.

After lowing the car I ran over a rock that smashed my Passenger Side Cat shielding and poked a hole in the cat. This gave me some more exhaust note but not my taste. After lots of research and evaluation I took a chance and bought the Random Technology Cats.

5. Random Technology Cats - 600$ Installed by ZPI 100$
I was afraid to mess with the cats because of the fart can sound issue. I am a "proffesional" and still have to park next people who don't get the car thing. The installer as ZPI was joking about how load it was going to be, how he has hogged out Cats and the noise it will make, Blah, Blah, Blah, why not a straight pipe? Well the sound is only deeper. No ugly rasp, fart, or whatever you call it exists. It sounds like a race car to me. The Ky breed installer was very impressed. The only problem I have with it is the right side sits about 3/4" to 1" lower. It looks like the header is actually longer on that side and sits lower than the driver side. Not sure what to do about that because every inch counts under this car. Especially lowered.

My question is what next (why does it always come back to this stupid question)? Utech, Reflash, 3.9 LSD, JWT Clutch Flywheel, all 3? suggestions? opinions?

Old 04-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you trying to achieve?

Old 06-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review.
Question, MD does not make a 5/8" spacer, do you mean a 5/16 or do you have the Skunk2?
Also, I would be very weary of doing business with Z.P.I. Kenny, he has burned a lot of bridges of the years with customers. He made me pay a $300 restocking fee for a turbo kit that he never got in stock, after waiting several months for it.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
old thread...lol.

he probably meant the MD 3/8" spacer...