SFL G CLUB South Florida G35's + G37's

Anyone in the Military?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone in the Military?

Thinking about joining. Air Force or Navy. Deal is they pay off my med school loans (almost 200k), and I make O3 pay-grade + BAH (which isn't bad at all, but its nowhere near what I can make as a civilian), etc by the end of my agreement if I join as a commissioned officer. I think the recruiter said I would probably start out as an O2 or O3 if I'm good. Its tempting, and I've been seriously contemplating it, but just unsure about military life, if I'll be able to handle basic, being out of contact from home, OTS etc. I do however, get a lot of post-grad training/residency hours, essentially for free.

I don't know, what do you guys think of the military.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I may,

Air Force Officer Training School for the Medical Corps is only 4.5 weeks, and hardly difficult by any "boot camp" standards. You can also list preferences as to where you would like to be stationed; called a "dream sheet". There are also yearly and retention bonuses and special pays for those in the medical fields, as well as those who hold a specialty. You can check the exact pay charts @ www.military.com

Best of luck with whatever decision you decide to make!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
I've been a U.S. Marine for over 8yrs now and i love military life, it's a lot better than you would think.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My best friend's daughter graduated from Duke. She enrolled in the Air Force ROTC and upon graduating went to a military medical school. Got her degree (medical doctor) and lastly went for her OBGYN specialty. She is 31 yrs old (a Major now) and I just met w/ her in Wa. DC where she is enrolled in a fellowship program regarding ovarian cancer. The military offers a great deal of training, great experiences, travel and the chance to further your education while you serve your country. I say, have all your questions answered from the recruiter, get some assurances and go for it. You wont regret it. Good luck..

Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just signed for the Air Force. I am scheduled to depart for boot camp in May. Honestly I really need the money for school so that is the only reason why Im going for it. I enrolled for the Reserve and signed a 6 year contract. The benefits are pretty enormous and played a huge part in my decision making. All in all I will be leaving for 4 1/2 months and im back in Miami. They do however require you to report to the base twice a month and send me someone for 2 weeks out of the year to do my job. Just make sure everything is in writing when you sign because recruiters do lie and just want you to sign. I have spoken to countless individuals and they said boot camp isnt bad at all. Push ups, running, courses, shooting, gas chamber, oh yea and waking up at 4:45am to someone screaming.

Good Luck to you.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been in the Army for 10 years now so if anyone is in the same boat and needs information I'm a recruting assistant so I can pretty much andswer any questions about the Army and the way it works. Anyone can reach me on mycell, call me at 772-240-8389.

Freddie

Old 02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no disrespect to anyone but fvck that!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i say go for it. i signed a 12 yr contract with the Air Force because I am a pilot and I can't afford to fly on my own - it's too damn expensive. I was in ROTC in high school all four years and got a good taste of military life and what to expect. I missed it in college to say the least. The money, opportunities, and overall experience are more than worth your time. Plus, if youre still pretty young, what do you have to lose? You'll meet tons of people and your network will grow exponentially with each place you travel.

Best of luck to you.