G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Could use some extra mechanical advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could use some extra mechanical advice.

Hey guys.

So it has finally happened. My clutch (what I presume my clutch) is shot.

I only say presume because I have been driving and started to feel the engagement point on my clutch pedal getting lower and lower and eventually I had to pump it to get into gear and then rev match shift to keep going. I checked my Slave Cylinder, It is new. I checked my Master Clutch Cylinder and it isn't leaking. Clutch Fluid is still full.

My clutch isn't slipping and still grabbing great.. I was wondering if this could be caused from any pressure plate fingers breaking or anything like that.

NOTES:
-I haven't taken anything apart yet.
-If it isn't the clutch I am still doing a full replacement of Clutch / Flywheel / Pressure Plate / Slave / Master / Clutch Lines / Rear Engine Seal (Cause why not) . It was on my to-do list anyways.
-I am no mechanic, just a son of a mechanic and have learned a little from being in the shop all the time.
-Transmission is being taken off this afternoon. And will post update tonight.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Inside the clutch cylinder there's like a rubber plunger, when they go bad the plunger lets fluid by, your clutch pedal gets weaker and will eventually end up on the floor. You may be able to pull the pedal back up a few times but eventually you're dead in the water. This sounds like what's going on with your clutch. I replaced two of them on my last Z.
Gary

Old 05-09-2017, 10:56 AM
An update:

Okay so I got the transmission pulled off yesterday and noticed that my throw out bearing was about to come through my pressure plate. I also noticed that my Flywheel/Clutch/Pressure Plate have been roasted inside; there were hot-spots everywhere.

I am about to replace the rear main seal here in a few days. Does anyone know if I have to drop the oil pan? Seems like the only logical choice at this point. I am already so far into it.

Side Note: I am actually pretty surprised on how easy the transmission was to remove.

The following users liked this post:
NemesisGee (05-12-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by 03G35C6MT
Hey guys.

So it has finally happened. My clutch (what I presume my clutch) is shot.

I only say presume because I have been driving and started to feel the engagement point on my clutch pedal getting lower and lower and eventually I had to pump it to get into gear and then rev match shift to keep going. I checked my Slave Cylinder, It is new. I checked my Master Clutch Cylinder and it isn't leaking. Clutch Fluid is still full. They don't leak if issues are internal!

My clutch isn't slipping and still grabbing great. Surprised with all the damage shown in the pic!

NOTES:
-I haven't taken anything apart yet.
-If it isn't the clutch I am still doing a full replacement of Clutch / Flywheel / Pressure Plate / Slave / Master / Clutch Lines / Rear Engine Seal (Cause why not) . It was on my to-do list anyways. This looks like your best idea, throwout bearing is a must replace!
-I am no mechanic, just a son of a mechanic and have learned a little from being in the shop all the time.
-Transmission is being taken off this afternoon. And will post update tonight.
Keep up the good work, keep us informed on your results when finished...Gary

The following users liked this post:
03G35C6MT (05-09-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Good work buddy. Are these the OEM original clutch/flywheel parts or aftermarkets? Just curios as to how much mileage you got on them until they finally gave out.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by NemesisGee
Good work buddy. Are these the OEM original clutch/flywheel parts or aftermarkets? Just curios as to how much mileage you got on them until they finally gave out.
I am not to sure. I seen the hundreds of hot spots and just sat it to the side and haven't looked at it. I will check when I get to my shop. But if it is OEM then I have 94,000 on the car. But it definitely looks aftermarket to me. And on top of that the top transmission bolts that connect the transmission to the motor weren't torqued down AT ALL. So that leaves me to believe they have been in there before and got lazy towards the end.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
Pressure plate and clutch disk appears to be aftermarket, the flywheel looks original nissan dual mass.

OP, go with zspeed csc or z1 csc elimination kit so you won't have to deal with failing csc in the future.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by deeliciousqueen
Pressure plate and clutch disk appears to be aftermarket, the flywheel looks original nissan dual mass.

OP, go with zspeed csc or z1 csc elimination kit so you won't have to deal with failing csc in the future.
Help a brother out on the abbreviations. Are you talking about Clutch Slave Cylinder.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
Old 06-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Update: I have completed the rear main seal and both moon seals (front and back). We couldn't find a solid place to put bolts into the engine to hoist it up so we wrapped chains around the motor mounts. That was a bad idea, it ripped them off and had to get new ones (they aren't cheap). I put them on last night along with putting the k-frame back into place.

The only problem we are still struggling with is my steering wheel's 'slip yoke' type thing doesn't move anymore. So It has become a PITA. ]

Hopefully will be done today.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.