South Serving AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

Austin: Rally Saturday July 30th

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Austin: Rally Saturday July 30th

The rally/drive/meet will be this Saturday, July 30th. We will be meeting at 8:00 am at a location to be disclosed through PM. Please reply to this post if you plan on attending the rally tomorrow, so I can update you on the details. We have some fun roads on the route and we can even add a few of the other favorites if we just can't get enough driving. Feel free to PM me for a list of some of the roads we will go on. Sorry about the short term notice and the lack of planning compared to the first one. (Liv was in charge of most of the planning this time, so that should explain it all) I hope everyone can make it. I am sure we will have a great time.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:32 PM
slackers RULE!!!!

Old 07-29-2005, 10:26 PM
in case anyone doens't get the messages in time, everyone interested should meet us at HEB at the intersection of 2222 and 620 at 8am, 30 Jul. the forcast says it should be clear after today which is good because our route depends on dry roads and no flooding over low water crossings.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Blah. Looks like some ****** nice weather this morning (as I sit here typing this from my hotel room in Tyler).

I hate p!ssing away weekends. \:

Have fun and be safe, guys.

Old 07-30-2005, 03:15 PM
I knew I should have checked the site on Friday to see what was going on. Oh well, guess there's always another rally down the road.

Old 07-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by spill
Blah. Looks like some ****** nice weather this morning (as I sit here typing this from my hotel room in Tyler).

I hate p!ssing away weekends. \:

Have fun and be safe, guys.
We missed you, Spill. Sorry you had to be elsewhere (the things we do for our wives...). I think you would've enjoyed this totally different run. Hope to see you at the next one.

Old 07-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks to Liv and FAST for organizing another great drive. It included some totally new roads that were simply amazing. We added a few roads later to extend the fun. The drive was mostly LEO-free (they appeared at just the right moments). FAST and I had only one "exciting" moment which would've looked good if there was someone behind us taping it. We had so much fun, it should be illegal.

FYI: Liv is becoming a high-maintenance G enthusiast:
- He did not fill up his tank BEFORE the drive (he claims his car drives better with less weight)
- The batteries in BOTH of his radios died 10 minutes into the drive (forgetting to recharge the batteries is typical SLACKER behavior)
- We had to wait on him as he got more gas (because he was running out)
- He buys gas only from certain name brand gas stations (Mobil was acceptable to him today)
- The fumes coming from his direction are becoming intolerable (he claims its his car; we think otherwise)
- He demands there be a Starbucks near the starting point of every drive.
- He nearly killed a jack-rabbit
- He frequently yells "SLACKERS RULE!" as an excuse for everything

Other than those, it was an awesome drive!

Last edited by youngturk; 07-30-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Turnout for the drive was low. I must admit that I am at a total loss why more people do not enjoy driving their cars the way they were meant to be driven (excepting those with legitimate reasons for not being there).

Come on folks: Come out to enjoy the fun and fellowship. Don't let your car's condition be an excuse to stay away from the fun. Both FAST's and my car are nearly totally stock. Liv's is just a little more modified. Your G in stock condition has everything needed to have fun with it. I enjoy these drives because I get to have some fun with my car and I get to have a great time chatting with fellow G enthusiasts.

I hope more people will come out to drive next time.

Last edited by youngturk; 07-30-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:07 PM
yea, this rally was very interesting. we left at like 8.45 and didn't get back until around noonish. then had lunch at a really great small Chinese place courtesy of turk (though he got us lost getting there). I was the first one there, at 8am. clear skys, hot pavement. great driving weather. we met talked, had a good run out 2769 and Lime Creek then came around a corner and found a Sheriff going our way leaving Lime Creek. so we had to wait for him to leave, the a motorcycle cop was shooting radar on 1431. a little change of direction to throw off the cop, borrowing a radio from KK since mine are defective and both died on me, and we were on our way to the road I'd found. other than the scouting drive before, none of us had driving it before. ok so the road's a bit rough in places, there's a couple mean cattle guards, a cow beside the road, a suicidal rabbit and the roads narrow but it's worth it. the views while you drive the road are incredible. it's not a high speed road and there's frequent braking but it was a good drive. luckily the rain water had dispersed as we went over several low water crossings. we stopped for a break at 1174 and turk had a couple suggestions for alternative routes home. so he took the lead an led us to a gas station so that I could hinder my car's performance with a full tank of gas. we did a bit of spirited driving through some roads turk knew about, back to 1431 and we ran Lime Creek II (that's Lime Creek in reserve for those not familiar with Gran Turismo tracks). stop at HEB and decide where to eat. then follow turk to this little Chinese place on Braker....oops I mean Burnett....oops I mean Lamar. after sightseeing on the 183 strip we found it. I've never heard of the place. small authentic Chinese place near the big Target but the food was incredible. the wonton soup and orange chicken I'd highly recommend. I think we were among the only English speaking people there.

I agree with turk in that I don't understand why people do not come out and drive. several people had other plans, no big deal, but some people had even stated they wanted to join in. so doesn't anyone not doing anything else come out? we're not racing, we're not trying to make anyone stock look bad. turk has only a brake upgrade, KK has an intake and I've only got a couple minor mods. we're not out driving forced induction built monsters. we're just out driving some roads, checking out some nice scenery. daily driving in a G is waste of a car.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Okay...other than Homie, no other responses. Either everyone in Austin is ignoring us or Liv and I have ticked them off. Or both.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:11 AM
it wasn't an insult, more of a sort of challenge. and the rest from me was just defending the honor of the slackers.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:24 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LivyathanZero
it wasn't an insult, more of a sort of challenge. and the rest from me was just defending the honor of the slackers.
If I lived closer to Austin, I would have definitly come. But as it is, with 66K miles, I gotta start thinking about driving less.......

Old 08-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by cato
If I lived closer to Austin, I would have definitly come. But as it is, with 66K miles, I gotta start thinking about driving less.......
Cato, I understand your situation very well. Coming from Houston is totally different than driving from somewhere in Austin. My comments were directed primarily to those G enthusiasts who live in Austin.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah Go Liv...Holding it down for the slackers down in ATX!!! Woo hoo!!!!