Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Looking for help from nice looking G's in the San Fernando Valley :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it takes more than just knowing how to photoshop to make a good picture, there's background setting, object placement, angle, lighting.. all of that come into play.. i prefer film over digital but film gets pretty expensive

Old 05-29-2007, 02:43 PM
wj4
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
you're off to a good start, i too started out by shooting friends cars as often as i could and learned alot just by doing that, now my photo's are going to be in a magazine at the end of july! If you're not already a part of www.photography-on-the.net, i'd suggest you join and read up, there's pages and pages of info that will help you progress in your hobby.

For the motion shots, i like to shoot in Tv mode with the shutter set at 80-125 (whatever you prefer, you'll find out after you shoot at different shutter speeds)

Here's a picture i took over the weekend, keep in mind i was driving 75mph with my knee while taking this picture.

just keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it. I try and use minimal PS (levels, contrast, highlights... no advanced stuff, i only take 2 mins per picture) Let your pictures speak for themselves, not your photoshop skills.
-GP-
Thank you for your help! I will join this site in a moment. I, too, try to keep the Photoshop to a minimal. I'm not a fan of photoshopped background with outlandish looking clouds.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Well, blurry pics are a part of photography. Large apertures (2.8) will always give you a focus at close range, and blur out everything in the distance.

But a smaller aperture (ie 22) can also be used to make everything crystal clear and sharp.

Both are important.

The reason many people use blur is to focus on the subject, while blurring out anything that interferes with the rythem of the image.

Correct, but i was speaking in terms of creating the effect through photoshop. I love macro pics... but when it's shot through the lense and not created through digital enhancements.

I guess you can say i'm a minimalist. Less is more, so the less photoshop you use, the better the picture comes out (to me).

Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Day177017
I think the test of a true photographer and his/her skill is the amount of photoshopping needed to get that great photo.
i thought that, too. but post processing is actually a very important part of getting the full potential out of your pictures.

wj4, do you have the original picture of that red acura? i'd like a shot at photoshopping it if you don't mind.

Last edited by Calvin; 05-29-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:20 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Also, another thing I learned in photography class is to avoid any unnecessary objects in the photo that will dis-attract the attention of the subject.

For example, on the photo I photoshopped of the red Acura, that garbage container is absolutely killing the photo. I find it way too distracting.

And in the image with the Evo/335i, there's just too much going on in the background.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Firedawg63nLA
I'm in Torrance but SFV is not far..
damn. im not really a red person, but the car looks sick!

Old 05-30-2007, 01:30 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Also, another thing I learned in photography class is to avoid any unnecessary objects in the photo that will dis-attract the attention of the subject.

For example, on the photo I photoshopped of the red Acura, that garbage container is absolutely killing the photo. I find it way too distracting.

And in the image with the Evo/335i, there's just too much going on in the background.

I hope this helps.

+1 the garbage container definitely takes away from the pictures, if there is an object in the picture that i cant crop out then i try to position the car around the object so that it's not protruding out of the car. Make the object work with you if they're in your way.
-GP-

Old 05-31-2007, 02:17 PM
wj4
wj4, do you have the original picture of that red acura? i'd like a shot at photoshopping it if you don't mind.
That is almost the original picture. I only contrast the picture by .1%. It was taken at around 6PM when the sun was setting.

And guys, I know about the garbage bin, I tried to push that thing out the way but it was too heavy. We tried to use the other wall on the right side, but the sun effect was not working the same way.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM
you can take pics of my car.. im in pasadena. my photo taking skills are horrible. and my camera sucks...

Old 05-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by wj4
That is almost the original picture. I only contrast the picture by .1%. It was taken at around 6PM when the sun was setting.

And guys, I know about the garbage bin, I tried to push that thing out the way but it was too heavy. We tried to use the other wall on the right side, but the sun effect was not working the same way.
i want a hi res pic

Old 06-02-2007, 01:05 AM
wj4
^Sorry, dude...I no longer have a hi res shot.

Another rolling shot of friend's newest daily driver.

Question for you guys..do you know how to adjust the white balance so the lighting would come out like this?..

Old 06-02-2007, 01:35 AM
That white BMW is HOT ...