Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

LA Folks Watch Your Ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 03:03 AM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
LA Folks Watch Your Ride

The LAPD are back from their two week vacation from stealing people's cars:
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1959.asp

Los Angeles Police Look to Resume Car Confiscation
Los Angeles, California police expected to resume car seizure police which has generated $14 million in revenue.

After two-week moratorium, the Los Angeles, California Police Department (LAPD) is set to resume confiscating cars from motorists who are not carrying a driver's license. Last year, car confiscation brought LAPD $14,157,344 in revenue from 175,285 seized vehicles. Of this amount, about 47,000 were taken over license issues.

Last month, Police Chief William J. Bratton put a halt to the practice after a legal challenge was filed based on a Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decision that found that just because a statute allows a car seizure, it does not automatically become a reasonable for the purposes of the Fourth Amendment. The court found that there was no reason for police to seize a legally parked car when a licensed driver was present.

Even though the decision was made nearly two years ago, City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo claimed that after "studying" the decision LAPD could resume seizures even when the vehicles could be claimed by other licensed drivers or safely parked.

"I anticipate that we'll be going back to what we were doing," Bratton told the Los Angeles Times newspaper. "Impoundments are necessary. It's the law in the state of California."

The city collects $101.50 per hour for towing and $945 for thirty days' storage, plus $31.50 for each additional day and a $48 release fee. All this is topped with a ten-percent tax.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you kidding me?? is this for not carrying a license or not HAVING a license?

Old 09-10-2007, 03:13 AM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
not carrying a license. at the end of the day, it probably all depends on how big of dick they want to be to you...

Old 09-10-2007, 11:42 AM
wow! thats a crock of shiet.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Think of how much better the traffic will be! Honestly, how hard is it to carry a little card with you? Oh, and FYI, it's perfectly legal (at least on a motorcycle, please double-check for cars) to carry a photocopy of your DL instead of the real thing. Just make a copy and throw it in every vehicle you own, mmmmkay?

I'm tired of all the ****** who drive around unlicensed and uninsured. Yea, this sucks, but it's really not hard to avoid getting your car confiscated.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by UnluckyCharms
Think of how much better the traffic will be! Honestly, how hard is it to carry a little card with you? Oh, and FYI, it's perfectly legal (at least on a motorcycle, please double-check for cars) to carry a photocopy of your DL instead of the real thing. Just make a copy and throw it in every vehicle you own, mmmmkay?

I'm tired of all the ****** who drive around unlicensed and uninsured. Yea, this sucks, but it's really not hard to avoid getting your car confiscated.
+1... quit crying. I know most people wont leave thier homes without their cellphone. how difficult is it to bring your license...

Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I have never driven without a licence on me but not carrying on u and getting ur car towed is overboard. I always thought as long as u had the DL number u are good.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:20 PM
What's a driver's license?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
its the easiest shiet to get in US.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:46 PM
****defected****

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
its the easiest shiet to get in US.
hell yeah just go to MacArthur Park and look for the guy on the bike...then go to the back of a bakery snap a photo, walk over to the liquor store buy a forty and pick up your new license too. ta-da

Old 09-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought this was one of those e-Rumors until i found it posted on latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...nes-california

After reading the article, it looks to be a hot topic for immigrant rights. Argument is that illegal immigrants have no way to get a drivers license so they can drive to work. This doesn't affect any of us (at least i hope not) since we all are licensed drivers. At least i believe this to be the case, but i haven't read into the law about having to carry a DL with you at all times.

I think this is a good thing. It's just one way to make it harder for illegal immigrants to work in the U.S. and rightly so. Why do we have to bend over backwards for illegals when there are plenty of immigrants who come over legally?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
its allll about the money

Old 09-10-2007, 03:00 PM
day177017

have you ever picked tomatoes or fruits on a hot summer day. I bet no, illegal immigrants do jobs that you or me would do. and all that bull **** about if employer would pay more then americans would do it, it could be said about any job.

Americans are lazy, and trust me would you pay more for food. I bet no. we are bitching about gas prices, wait till prices of food goes up when their are not cheap labor anymore

Old 09-10-2007, 03:11 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by mixturepinoy
+1... quit crying. I know most people wont leave thier homes without their cellphone. how difficult is it to bring your license...
what if you forget your wallet at home by accident and get pulled over? that's BS

Old 09-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by 617G
what if you forget your wallet at home by accident and get pulled over? that's BS
Once again, put a photocopy of it in your glove box, and you'll never forget it.

And sorry to change the subject a tiny bit, but did anyone drive in LA on the day of the Great American Boycott (the immigrant march thing)? Traffic was amazing all day.... I have absolutely nothing against people trying to make better lives for themselves and coming to America, but it suggested that maybe a lot of unlicensed (and bad) drivers were taken off the road that day...

Last edited by UnluckyCharms; 09-10-2007 at 03:58 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LA Folks Watch Your Ride