Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

CARB legal hi-flow cats??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
if your gonna be illegal, might as well go all the way
That was my exact thought

Old 05-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
haha! Yeah go all the way!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have test pipes too, FTW. I can tell cars driving by that aren't running cats now too, way deeper sound than most exhausts can produce.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
if your gonna be illegal, might as well go all the way
yeah, some people say that about tints too... until they get pulled over. point is, you could go limo tints up front too since since any tint up there is illegal in Cali BUT you have less of a chance of getting caught, if you go lighter. same w/HFC's vs test pipes. the sound and the smell of TP's are a lot easier to catch. also if they do get a chance to look then it's clear what ur runnin'. w/HFC's it's not that simple... a SMOG center cleared me, they said straight up there's no "real" way to tell the difference(from the eye). COP's don't carry around a book w/pics of every OEM cat in existence.

Last edited by SDGenius; 05-29-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by usmcmark
yeah, some people say that about tints too... until they get pulled over. point is, you could go limo tints up front too since since any tint up there is illegal in Cali BUT you have less of a chance of getting caught, if you go lighter. same w/HFC's vs test pipes. the sound and the smell of TP's are a lot easier to catch. also if they do get a chance to look then it's clear what ur runnin'. w/HFC's it's not that simple... a SMOG center cleared me, they said straight up there's no "real" way to tell the difference(from the eye). COP's don't carry around a book w/pics of every OEM cat in existence.
I run HFC... I was referencing Henry's application.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:09 PM
^^^it's all good, just used ur words to make a point.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a friend with a s2k that got pulled over (attention grabbing custom yellow paint job)

He has a Carb Legal turbo kit on it. Cop wasn't very happy about that, since he was pulled over for the turbo whine to begin with.

Cop went back to his car.

Checked the exhaust, also carb legal, intake, also carb legal.

Measured the headlights. Headlights were 21.4" off the ground. He went back to the car, got specs on the headlights, where are supposed to be 22" off of the ground.

Friend got ticketed for illegal headlights.

Moral of the story: Cops will find a way to give you a citation if they really really want to.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
I have a friend with a s2k that got pulled over (attention grabbing custom yellow paint job)

He has a Carb Legal turbo kit on it. Cop wasn't very happy about that, since he was pulled over for the turbo whine to begin with.

Cop went back to his car.

Checked the exhaust, also carb legal, intake, also carb legal.

Measured the headlights. Headlights were 21.4" off the ground. He went back to the car, got specs on the headlights, where are supposed to be 22" off of the ground.

Moral of the story: Cops will find a way to give you a citation if they really really want to.
ouch... sad but very true

Old 05-29-2008, 03:24 PM

That’s why I fight every ticket I receive - so far have won everything I contest... in your friends case it’s a slam dunk - the ground may not have been level - for instance, if his front tires were sitting in a slight rut or uneven surface it would cause the headlights to be lower to the ground than on level surface... It’s highly doubtful that the cop noted the slope (or lack thereof) of the surface.

I would advise your friend to adjust suspension on level surface prior to going to court to contest and state what I mentioned. I almost guarantee it will be dismissed. In fact there is a high likelihood that the cop won’t even show up to that one (since it’s so frivolous).

Moral to this: fight every ticket - because you are correct, they will try to find anything to cite you for - even if it’s a ****-ant retarded violation. F them, fight it.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
pictures were taken of everything... under the hood, gauges inside the car, exhaust, everything.

His car is lowered, and yes, his headlights are at an illegal level. Pictures were also taken with a measure next to the car with a level. This cop knew what he was doing when he wrote the ticket.

It's like getting a ticket for not having a front plate.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:38 PM
pictures were taken of everything... under the hood, gauges inside the car, exhaust, everything.

His car is lowered, and yes, his headlights are at an illegal level. Pictures were also taken with a measure next to the car with a level. This cop knew what he was doing when he wrote the ticket.

It's like getting a ticket for not having a front plate.
no matter how much the cop "knew what he was doing"... if the defendant knows what he is doing, just about any citation can be contested and dismissed.

Just my experience... I'm not saying everyone should do what I do - but why pay for a BS ticket? I've contested tickets against very arrogant cops when they though I didn’t have a leg to stand on and they've walked out the courtroom looking like fools.

But - again, maybe not everyone thinks the way I do.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so how many people here has HFC and pass the smog with the regular legal process?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by bobshuai
so how many people here has HFC and pass the smog with the regular legal process?
I doubt many (if any) have had to smog yet...

Old 06-20-2008, 03:43 PM
i passed SMOG, but i didn't need a test. i got mine installed at a SMOG place and was interested to see if they'd pass.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by SDGenius
i passed SMOG, but i didn't need a test. i got mine installed at a SMOG place and was interested to see if they'd pass.
it wouldn’t pass visual (or I should say “may” not pass visual) - so unless its an actual needed smog for DMV/registration, its not a good indicator.

If someone passes a DMV required smog test - that would be interesting...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CARB legal hi-flow cats??