Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Hood Flew up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing happened to me man. Sucks! Goodluck with everything and best of luck.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Wow...that sucks what happened. Glad no one hurt. I'm PMing a friend who has this hood and no pins.....yet.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Sorry guys been out of town ill take pics of it tomorow..It was actually intense who i called and was told i shouldnt need them for my hood because it was from a good company (after hearing problem after problem with seibon now a days i doubt it) and you only really need it for cheap hoods or if your going past 100 mph

I was calling them to order the hood pins after reading about some of these cases. I knew i should have gone with my gut feeling on this but i definatly learned a very valuable lesson thats for sure.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
glad your alright..this is good to know..so if you do purchase the hoodpins where do they connect to?

Old 05-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by O HELLA JDM
glad ur okay....

oohh yea VIS IS FTW

SEIBON IS FTW SOMETIMES
apparently a little less than sometimes

Old 05-11-2008, 11:58 AM
ON
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pghG35
glad your alright..this is good to know..so if you do purchase the hoodpins where do they connect to?
you have to drill holes to mount the pins on your radiator support.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Banned
I dont understand how you can put the blame on Seibon for this. It CLEARLY states in their terms and conditions that it's intended for off-road use only and that hood pins are REQUIRED. This goes for any aftermarket hood, if you are willing to run your hood without pins, then you are willing to assume all liability if it flys open. Sure, there are hundreds of G's running an aftermarket hood with no pins, but thats the risk THEY are willing to take. I don't care if you buy a $4000 gold plated hood from Japan, if you ask that manufacture they will tell you hood pins are required !

Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jim@Showstoppers
I dont understand how you can put the blame on Seibon for this. It CLEARLY states in their terms and conditions that it's intended for off-road use only and that hood pins are REQUIRED. This goes for any aftermarket hood, if you are willing to run your hood without pins, then you are willing to assume all liability if it flys open. Sure, there are hundreds of G's running an aftermarket hood with no pins, but thats the risk THEY are willing to take. I don't care if you buy a $4000 gold plated hood from Japan, if you ask that manufacture they will tell you hood pins are required !
I am not blaming seibon for this anywhere in this thread...i am well aware of their terms and conditions. But the hood i did have was a very poor fitting item that i was not pleased over from the very beginning. I learned my mistake and am now going to be running hood pins with any after market hoods i decide to buy in the future.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by DG-Coupe-
I am not blaming seibon for this anywhere in this thread...i am well aware of their terms and conditions. But the hood i did have was a very poor fitting item that i was not pleased over from the very beginning. I learned my mistake and am now going to be running hood pins with any after market hoods i decide to buy in the future.
I wasn't referring to you, but to those who gave the "oh not seibon again" remark.

So, the hood wasn't "very good" fitting and you still didn't use hood pins?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Most aftermarket parts dont fit perfectly at all. Some batches you willg et okay to perfect fitment and some you don't. Did you install it yourself or did a shop install it? Hood pins is a must for any carbon fiber/ fiberglass, light weight hood. Poor fitment would not be to blame for the hood flying up. I have had no problems with my Seibon JS hood and have had for a while. I'm glad that you weren't hurt in the incident but next round make sure you have the hood pins installed. Good luck with your repairs.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:00 PM
i've read numerous threads about flying hoods over the years... our after market hoods don't weight 500lbs like domestics and pins are a must for CF.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This happened to me last august.... destroyed my seibon hood...fenders,,, and sunroof... was excellerating from a stoplight and BAM it was like an explosion and my interior was full of sunroof glass. windshield was unharmed.

HOODPINS....... or chance it... my damage totaled close to 5k

Old 05-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Jon I think it is important to note that your OEM hood latch is what failed you, not the hood. We looked at it, and the latch is def broken.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:59 AM
yeah i realize that haha problem is it wouldnt have happened in the first place if the hood had fit on the hood latch when i got it....plus i love driving the g with no hood now lol i get the weirdest looks from people it great

Old 05-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah i realize that haha problem is it wouldnt have happened in the first place if the hood had fit on the hood latch when i got it....plus i love driving the g with no hood now lol i get the weirdest looks from people it great
No hood = rice. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! What's been the reaction on the new curled fender mod?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hood Flew up