Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Changing Registration!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Talking Changing Registration!!!!

ok guys... Most of you know that i am from Illinois! I am currently debating if i should register my car in Illinois... The reason i would do this is so i can only pay $80 a year, My residence is far enough West so there isn't any Emissions testing, and my insurance rates would go down!

I really want to go full test pipes and i know there is no way in hell i would pass California Smog!

Anyone know if i would get nabbed for having Test pipes even though my registration will be from out-of-state??

Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotdawwgman
ok guys... Most of you know that i am from Illinois! I am currently debating if i should register my car in Illinois... The reason i would do this is so i can only pay $80 a year, My residence is far enough West so there isn't any Emissions testing, and my insurance rates would go down!

I really want to go full test pipes and i know there is no way in hell i would pass California Smog!

Anyone know if i would get nabbed for having Test pipes even though my registration will be from out-of-state??
As far as I know. they won't cite you because the car is out of state but do you also have an out of state DL..never tell a cop you live her. they can cite you and force you to register the car after 30 of residing in the state.

My friend has had his car with Mexican plates her for over 20years and has never been cited at all.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotdawwgman

I too am from Illinois (Quad Cities - School @ NIU-Dekalb) and did the same thing you did - UNTIL my job required me to have a CA license; the first time a cop stopped me it was all over. They can pop you for not registering the car (I think you have 10 days from the day you move here).

Old 03-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Smog isn't the real issue with test pipes. You can easily swap them out for the stock cats if you had to pass a smog test.

The real issue is getting caught with test pipes. It's a federal violation to modify or remove the stock cats. It doesn't matter what state you are in.

The last thing on my mind is a simple smog test.

Anyhow, I've never been really been that worried about getting caught with my test pipes. You just have to drive smart when you're around cops to avoid excessive fumes and loudness *knock on wood*

Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys!

Old 03-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
having the car registered in your name in another state with a CA license is gonna create problems for you... are you licensed in IL?

Old 03-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Yes... I still have my IL license... I havent changed it over yet!

Old 03-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Legally you're supposed to be license in the state in which you reside... your residing state is generally determined to be where you spend the most time... I'm more familiar with commercial license requirements and the things that can trigger a problem - but for a class c license, there's not much that can give you problems that I can think of - other than tax status - but that would take a lot of digging to determine (such as an at fault accident with a prosecuting attorney trying to dig up dirt or something)...

As far as getting pulled over by law enforcement having a license and registration both in IL - I guess you could say you are visiting or on long term (but not permanent) work assignment?

Doesn’t the place that you rent from require license? I'm surprised they wouldn’t have asked for a CA ID?.. Also, Insurance requires physical address where car is kept – I would think they would balk at CA addy with IL license?…

Just don’t get in a collision with another motorist – that can really open a can of worms regarding this subject…