Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Just installed Stillen Valve body!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed Stillen Valve body!!

just picked up my car from stillen where they installed or i guess, upgraded my valve body. IMO, works good. car shift so much better, faster and smoother throughout the powerband. i think its worth the $$$, esp when your going FI. and the good thing is, it only took few hours dropped it @8, pick up @ 5pm. not bad.

Thanks 2 Frank @ Superior Nissan, u the chit mang!

Old 06-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Did you have your headers installed when you dynoed at stillen day? I was the DP coupe who dynoed before you. I have the valve body also it works real good in MM mode IMO. Did you install your vortech yet?

Old 06-15-2005, 11:36 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how much for the parts (is there only 1 kind of stillen valve body upgrade?) and labor?

back in the "old" days i had an auto with mechanical shifting linkage that would chirp the tires when shifting into second gear .........does the valve body upgrade give that kind of slamming, head jerking, tire chirping feel?

anyone in Houston with this mod? love to go for a ride..........

Old 06-16-2005, 01:10 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
So did you drop the car off at Stillen or a Nissan dealership? How much was the total?

Old 06-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by E_K
So did you drop the car off at Stillen or a Nissan dealership? How much was the total?
You just drop your car off at stillen. The valve body only takes less than 1hr to remove (by stillen). The time comes in to modify your valve body which takes 4-6 hrs or longer, but it will be done the same day depending on what time you drop it off. I dropped my car off at 10am and got it back at 4pm. I can't remember the exact total but it was in between $900-$1000 (parts and installation). Albert if I can make the upcoming dyno day I'll let you take it for a spin if you like.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:32 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds good Derek. I was going to ask you for a spin in your car, but I didn't want to put pressure on you to say yes.

They'll have to change the transmission fluid, right? I'm thinking that since I should get it changed anyway, this would be a good time to do it.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:26 PM
hey sup Dskyline, yeah man! its sooo much better on MM . and nah i havent installed my vortech. gots to buy wife a ring first =).
actually trying to get everything else installed like guages, valve body wat ever i need for the vortech. looking at two weeks.

shooter: they upgrade your valves and re programm it. its not as good as manual trans but its way better than stock.

i got it installed at stillen 8-5pm, they were booked, so took a liltle longer. i paid cheaper but it cost around 930.00 installed w. two quarts of trans oil.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by E_K
Sounds good Derek. I was going to ask you for a spin in your car, but I didn't want to put pressure on you to say yes.

They'll have to change the transmission fluid, right? I'm thinking that since I should get it changed anyway, this would be a good time to do it.
Yes, they change the fluid and I don't mind letting you take my ride for a spin. Stillen upgrades your valve body somewhere else they only remove and install in the main building. I remember them leaving in a truck and driving somewhere with it. $930 sounds about right I know it was 900 something. The only thing I don't like but I don't do often(maybe once or twice) is shift from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st while coming to a stop. The tranny downshifts so hard I thought I broke something. The fun is downshifting then flooring it I can't wait to get FI with this upgrade!!

Old 06-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NISMOCP! i remember you G - very nice!!! does that have anything to do with HardOCP, btw? (www.hardocp.com)

would you say it improved your 0-60 or 1/4 mile at all? also, do you still notice hesitation when, say, going in 2nd in MM, then flooring it and tapping it to switch to 1st? - i get about full second delay before it shifts...

i've been considering this upgrade for a couple of days, and really torn about it... any more details on your driving experience with the valve body upgrade would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Hey djreinx,

Congrats on your VB upgrade. I'm getting mine done next week. I have a question about shifting in MM mode. I know that the 04s MM is better than the 03. Besides that, I notice that when I am pushing my car hard from say the 1st to 2nd shift, I have to time the upshift about 700RPMS before hitting redline for it to shift into 2nd without hitting the rev limiter. How does it behave now? does it shift instantaneously in MM mode or is there still some delay?

Old 06-16-2005, 04:13 PM
sukhi, there's still "lil lag" on shifting but not as bad as the factory. i havent really taken for a drive coz i got a "hUge" nail stuck to my tires but im going to test drive it today. let u know.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by codeflux
NISMOCP! i remember you G - very nice!!! does that have anything to do with HardOCP, btw? (www.hardocp.com)

would you say it improved your 0-60 or 1/4 mile at all? also, do you still notice hesitation when, say, going in 2nd in MM, then flooring it and tapping it to switch to 1st? - i get about full second delay before it shifts...

i've been considering this upgrade for a couple of days, and really torn about it... any more details on your driving experience with the valve body upgrade would be greatly appreciated.
Well as far as times G-tech times before the upgrade I was running 1/8th of a mile at 9.3 and 9.4. The day I got the upgrade I ran a 8.9 with a 0-60 of 5.1, but this is with the G-tech. I took it to the track a couple of times and the best I got was 9.1 from my consistent 9.4-9.5's at the track(slippery). I'm going again next week since I have DRs' now I'll keep everyone posted and try to make a vid. Yes there is a little hesitation but the shifts are much firmer now. Hey djreinx try to let off the gas a little when you shift as you do a manual. I gave a friend a ride who has a RX-7 and he said it felt like a stick to him when I was shifting like that in MM. Hey can the sedans downshift and hold gears like the coupe (no automatic upshifts in MM)?

Old 06-16-2005, 05:40 PM
wow, that's impressive... yes, sedans' MM is just like the coupes' MM.

another question, then. when driving lazily, as in, just cruizing, not in a hurry, are the shifts harsh/slappy too, or does it shift smoothly and without whiplash-central - ior does it just yank you around the seat?

Old 06-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by codeflux
wow, that's impressive... yes, sedans' MM is just like the coupes' MM.

another question, then. when driving lazily, as in, just cruizing, not in a hurry, are the shifts harsh/slappy too, or does it shift smoothly and without whiplash-central - ior does it just yank you around the seat?
No, you can't really tell when cruising in D. The upgrade comes alive in MM the upshifts are firm and smooth with little delay. The only time you are really pushed into the seat is the 3-2 or 2-1 downshifts at wot it just takes off almost instantly!! The 4-3 is not that bad, but the previous 2 are killer with the upgrade.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
No, you can't really tell when cruising in D. The upgrade comes alive in MM the upshifts are firm and smooth with little delay. The only time you are really pushed into the seat is the 3-2 or 2-1 downshifts at wot it just takes off almost instantly!! The 4-3 is not that bad, but the previous 2 are killer with the upgrade.
just as i thought. stillen does say that shifts 1-2 and 2-3 are vastly improved.

so, let me get this straight - you only see affects of this mod when in MM? - i'd think even when in D (auto), shifting would be improved at WOT. please clarify, if you don't mind.

i am only asking all these questions because this is the first thread on this forum where people actually go in depth about stillen valve body upgrade. i looked and looked, but like i said, this is the first. almost deserves a sticky!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just installed Stillen Valve body!!