Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

LA Lakers Draft - Andrew Bynum (17 Yrs. 8 Mo. Old)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA Lakers Draft - Andrew Bynum (17 Yrs. 8 Mo. Old)

What do you guys think of the Lakers #10 pick? Andrew Bynum is 7'0", 285lbs., 17 years 8 months old, a 3.6 GPA in high school (Honors Student) and a high enough SAT score to get into U Con. I think they need to make additional moves to solidify the power forward and point guard positions.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Sorry - this thread should probably be in the "Off Topic" section.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so its a 17 year old Shaquille?

Old 06-29-2005, 09:13 PM
can't tell at this point.but a lot of Potential

Old 06-29-2005, 09:40 PM
yea its going to take a while, and you know Phil, he doesnt play rookies very often so only time could tell. Ill tell you this, he wont be starting of course and he probably will be 2nd string

But from wat i have seen this guy will probably gain some more wieght. And probably will try do be a dominant player like shaq.

But along Kobe who knows. Only time can tell

Old 06-29-2005, 09:47 PM
LA needs a Championship NOW, not 5-7 years down the line.....

Old 06-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Let's see - Kobe (SG), Odom (SF/PF), Mihm (C), Butler (SF/SG), Vlade(C). Who's the Power Forward? Point Guard? I hope there is a big trade and some free agents in the near future. No more lottery picks!!!

Old 06-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The boy can play and he can shoot from the free throw line, just need to put some meat on. He is a giant!!!! Lakers are starting to look better, just need to do some trading.

Look out Shaq, here comes BYNUM & BRYANT.....

Old 06-30-2005, 12:49 AM
OK thats enough of this guy is the next Shaq. If anyone is even thinkin that, STOP! @ the point where he is in HS and when Shaq was there, Shaq still hammered his stats across the board. Yea he is tall and big but seriously, hes played with HS kids and pickup basketball games. He hasnt stepped up to the Shaqs, Ben Wallaces, Yao Mings, Tim Duncans and Garnetts and Rasheed Wallaces that will chew him up alive. HE IS A KID still. I heard his interview and he said, "Im the new shaq in town and I can make freethrows" ????? How the F*** are you gonna try to get on shaq status:

Career Highlights
-Was named the 2004 All-Star Game MVP
-Selected in 1996 as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History
-Three-time NBA Finals MVP after leading the Lakers to back-to-back-to-back NBA Finals victories (2000, 2001, 2002)
-Four-time All-NBA First Team selection (1997-98, 1999-2000, 2000-01, 2001-02), -
-Two-time NBA All-Defensive Second Team selection (1999-2000, 2000-01)
-Nine-time All-Star selection (1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002)
-Co-MVP of the 2000 NBA All-Star Game after tallying 22 points and nine rebounds
-Two-time regular season scoring champion after posting 29.3 ppg (1994-95) and 29.7 ppg (1999-2000)
-Led the league in field-goal percentage five times (1993-94, 1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-01)
-Won the 1999-2000 IBM Award, determined by a computerized rating that measures a player's overall contribution to a team
****-Named 1992-93 NBA Rookie of the Year, and to the NBA All-Rookie First Team, after averaging 23.4 ppg, 13.9 rpg and 3.53 bpg
-Member of gold-medal winning U.S. Olympic team in Atlanta (1996) and World Championship team in Toronto (1994)

After reading that, you think this kid is gonna be another Shaq?

Mark is right about needing a championship NOW but it takes time for any rebuilding team.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Considering that May and McCants were ahead of this Bynum guy, I think the Lakers did a horrible job of picking this guy up. But on the other hand Ronny Turiaf I think will be a force in the league.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Shaq is still the man, I'm a Laker for life but I still cheer for O'NEAL he is the man. I would love to see Shaq back in the purple/gold, but the truth is this is what we have to work with so for now the boy looks promising and with Phil at the head of the pack he can only get better.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kamal,

That was quite impressive.
Probably took you a while to type that stuff off the back of the KAZAAM Limited Edition DVD that you bought, huh? :P j/k
Looks like you're a great fan of Shaq.
He's definitely performed greatly in the past. Still does. Your list of his achievements show it.
He's very consistent (yes, even his horrendous free throw percentage is consistent) and one of the most dominating forces in the NBA.

BUT... as much a Lakers fan i am, and his contributions to the team for the previous years... he is overweight and overrated. Take the weight and height away from him? He's got nothing. Without his STRENGTH and HEIGHT, he'd honestly be a bench-warmer.

Great centers were Hakeem, Abdul Jabbar, Chamberlain... they played with skill. Not brute strength. Don't get me wrong, i love Shaq. But he's where he is because of his God given strength/size. Not skills.

Making a blanket statement like "a HS kid can't measure up to the pros of today! they'll get eaten alive"
There have been plenty of "out of HS" NBA draft picks.
LaBron, Kobe, you mentioned Kevin Garnett. They all came from HS right into the NBA.
They're doing pretty well. I'd say.

Let's give this new guy a chance.
No one's seen him up against the Pros. So you can't really say he'll get eaten alive.
Only time will tell.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:18 AM
hahaha yeaaa the back of a kazaam DVD. look bro, truth of the matter is, take height and weight/muscle off all basketball and you got the average person like you and I. I understand Shaq is "overweight" I dunno how you can be over weight when he measured at 13% body fat beginning of this season. ANyway im not a DIE HARD fan of Shaq but maan hes won 3 championships for the Lakers. Im not no laker fan but YOU HAVE TO tip your hate to him for everything he did. Honestly, answer this... were teams scared of the lakers when Shaq was playing? Are teams scared of the lakers now when kobes leading? This whole shaq and kobe thing is getting wateverz but maan you read my list of his achievments and you say hes overrated????? Comeon, hes a future hall of famer just like the other 3 great centers you mentioned. How does an over weight guy that cant make free throws get an MVP award and 3 championships? Height youll say? Ok then what about this kid? Whats the difference between him and shaq if you wanna compare that way. Take height and weight from this new kid and what is he?

Truth is though, the lakers may be an over.500 team next season and the reason isnt Bynum but it will be b/c the Zen master. The interesting to see next season is how will kobe be? If Shaq was still on the Lakers, they wouldnt have a problem with getting more help. Look what he did b4 he left. He drew Malone and Payton to play here for what, PEANUTS! that time is gone gentlemen. Mark is right, were not gonna go no where for the next 5-7 years here in LA. GO MIAMI! watch what kinda guys Shaq is gonna lure there during this offseason...

Old 06-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Jerry Buss & the Lakers made a business decision based on Shaq not willing to resign for an additional two years at $44 million. He's making $30 million this year, and we'll see if Miami signs him. If someone is going to pay me $27.5 million for 6 months, I would be in great shape, work on improving my game and focus only on basketball (like Tim Ducan). I enjoyed Shaq wahen he was with the Lakers. The issue I have is that he never improved his skills. He was out of shape and lazy. He has never been a great rebounder or shot blocker. He can't play the pick and roll. He wasn't a "true" leader like Magic or Jerry West.

Plus, the "Most Dominate Player Ever" isn't Shaq, it was clearly Wilt.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Ok so you say it was a business decision. Hey bro, tell me how much kobe renewed his contract for? Do you know cause it came out to over $130 million bucks. What the hell kinda business deal is that? Ok kobe is younger and has "most potential and hasnt reached his peak" yet is watever but look what they both do for the chemistries of their teams. Shaq on one end made the Heat really close nit and play with their hearts. They went to the movies, and dinners TOGETHER. Than you have kobe on the other end who is getting dissed by every player on the team and EVEN PHIL! Omg that guy has patience like no other and hes all about karma. When you get bashed by your own coach, that means its true. Truth is, laker fans are allllll bitter now that shaq is gone. Like I said in my previous post, Give him some respect for winning you guys 3 championships! I cant believe everyone is saying he is outta shape and lazy. For a guy that is a monster like him and to play 38 minutes average night in and night out, HOW THE HELL IS THAT LAZY!?!?!? watever it is, laker fans DONT BE BITTER. Now that you have Bynum, the trophy is coming back home! HAHAHAHA peace

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LA Lakers Draft - Andrew Bynum (17 Yrs. 8 Mo. Old)