Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

OMFG!! Becareful!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMFG!! Becareful!!

I had already posted this in the G35 Sedan Forum, but i also wanted to post it in the southern california section, so all the locals in Glendale area can view this situation.

okay. BECAREFUL when you are putting air in your tires or checking them. always double check it at a different gas station when you are done. DO NOT GET AIR FROM THE GAS STATION MOBIL ON GLENDALE/MONTEREY!! it doesn't work correctly. it's in the City of Glendale. Right next to the 134. Last week I filled my air over there. I always put it on 40psi because of the handling differences. Well today i'm driving on the freeway and my tire warning comes on. Well i pull over and guess that one of them is going flat, which shouldn't be so soon. So i pull over, nothings wrong. I shut the car off then back on and boom its back again. So I go to the nearest gas station and check it with their pump. Well, my freaking psi was at 60! on all of my tires! so i bring them all down to 40 according to their pump. then i drove my butt another 3 miles to another gas station just to be sure. and sure enough it was still at 40. then i went BACK to the original gas station where i got gas, which was on glendale/monterey and i put the pump in and it read 25psi. the guage has been reading the wrong psi which could have caused some serious damage. i'm sorry if this turned out pretty long, but i just wanted to let you locals know about this dangerous situation and to warn you not to go there. drive safely. see ya.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:12 AM
holy **** thats scary michael...thanks man ill remember not to go there...good thing ntn serious happened

Old 01-17-2006, 02:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is an unfortunate reality that the air pump gauges on many gas stations is incorrect. Though such a dramatic variance as you experienced is unusual, it is not at all unusual for there to be an error of up to 5psi. And that is unacceptable as well. SO the best thing to do is to purchase a simple, accurate tire pressure gauge and just keep it in the car where it is handy, and you won't ever have that problem again. The kind with a release trigger or button is nice, because you can get to just over your target pressure, and then slowly bleed air pressure down to where you want it. Always consider the outside air temperature and whether your tires are warm from driving when determining what pressures you are seeking, as well as the road conditions and performance you want from the tires.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:56 AM
yike..did you notify the gas station?????????????

Old 01-17-2006, 10:29 AM
i went inside and there was this younger guy working. i asked for his boss he said he wasn't there. so i told him that its not working properly and he kept acting like it was and that there is no problem. he kept shutting me out. w/e. dont go there.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Like Eagle1 said, bring your own gauge. They're very reasonable....
That was a very scary experience though...wonder if that would harm the tires to be exposed to such high pressure even though for only short time. Any tire expert out there?

Old 01-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's why I always have my own pressure gauge. It's something I started doing when I had my motorcycle, because you always have to double check the pressure on the bike. But deffinitely stay away from that place.

Later,

Ray

Old 01-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by g356spd06
i went inside and there was this younger guy working. i asked for his boss he said he wasn't there. so i told him that its not working properly and he kept acting like it was and that there is no problem. he kept shutting me out. w/e. dont go there.
plan B
take a knife go there cut the damn thing and throw it in the trash
if i live near there,i would do that.what about members that not reading this? what about other peoples that not a member here? somebody might get kill you know?

Old 01-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by TINMAN
plan B
take a knife go there cut the damn thing and throw it in the trash
if i live near there,i would do that.what about members that not reading this? what about other peoples that not a member here? somebody might get kill you know?
Yup, I'd do the same. Thats DANGEROUS!!!

Old 01-17-2006, 09:40 PM
i didn't think anyone actually relied upon those gas station gauges.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Some group must regulate those things, but who?

Old 01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by abcdang
i didn't think anyone actually relied upon those gas station gauges.
damn.. i use to.. LOL guess not anymore.. thanks for the post!

Old 01-18-2006, 12:10 AM
GP1
lawsuit? Why? It's a free service and those gas station guages are never accurate. Besides, you'd have to prove damages and since your tires didnt blowup, good luck proving damages. Then you'd have to worry about compartive negligence, and I'm sure they could argue that you didnt pay attention and must have read their guage wrong. Then I doubt you'd find an attorney to take your case so you'd have to go after them in small claims court, cus likely any damage you could claim is less than 5k. Geezus! It surely isnt worth my time.

Spend $25.00 and get a good quality guage. Better yet, go buy a $100 compressor and a $25 guage and put it in the garage. Then you never have to worry about accuracy of the guage and you'll always have air available without leaving the house.

Besides, using an air compressor to dry out the little crevices after you wash your car prevents streaks etc.

Last edited by GP1; 01-18-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GP1
lawsuit? Why? It's a free service ...
its not free in orange county... $0.50 if im not mistaken... even if something costs a penny, u can sue!

Old 01-18-2006, 01:17 AM
its 50 cents here too...unless you just go inside and ask the guy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OMFG!! Becareful!!