Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Sixteen Customs install problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sixteen Customs install problems

Took my 2003.5 Sedan over to get the aero side sills and the JDM Remote Entry Lights installed. The instructions for the LED entrance lights are in Japanese so I wanted a Japanese shop to install them. I read good things about ‘Sixteen Customs’ in Gardena here and over on my350z.com. So I took my G there to do the install. Guess what, they put them on wrong! They are suppose to go in the middle of the car (see pic)

Instead, they put them way up in the front next to the front wheel! The diagram in the instructions say to cut a slot into the side sills about 5 screw holes down from the front. They didn't do any of that stuff! I don't think they even looked at the instructions.

It was day time when I picked the car up, so I couldn’t see the light from the LEDs when I picked it up. And the floor was wet at the shop that's why I didn't get down and take a look.

Now I don't know what to do. If I have them move them to where they are supposed to go, I will have 3 empty holes in my floor pan. The reason I took it to Sixteen Customs is all the posts I've read say they are meticulous about their work. But not following the install instructions tells me otherwise.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod
hmmm.. i think they are well known to paint stuff and not really to install anything... but i may be wrong..

Ed Lin

Old 02-14-2006, 09:56 PM
My friend of a friend with a 350z had his aero kit installed and painted there. He raves about the place over on my350z.com.

I talked to some of my friends, I think the best thing to do is buy another set of Remote Entry Lights and install those in the middle. That way it will look like the front doors have an entrance light and the rear doors have an entrance light. Opinions?

Old 02-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slowsocalg35
My friend of a friend with a 350z had his aero kit installed and painted there. He raves about the place over on my350z.com.

I talked to some of my friends, I think the best thing to do is buy another set of Remote Entry Lights and install those in the middle. That way it will look like the front doors have an entrance light and the rear doors have an entrance light. Opinions?
hmm yeah i think thats a good idea. either way you should definetly tell hiro what happened. there might be some reason why he put them up front instead of the middle. i go to 16 for all of my body work (rear bumper repair and new impul front) and so far they have done a great job.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Called Hiro today. I asked him why he didn’t install the lights per the instructions. His first answer was he thought I wanted them installed in the front by the wheel. He said, believe it or not, installing them in the front is very popular in Japan right now. I reiterated the reason I went to his shop to get this installed was because the instructions were in Japanese, and I wanted to find a Japanese shop to install them per the instructions. Hiro said if I wanted them installed in the middle they could do it, and seal up the holes in the front. I told him I would think about it.

A little while later Hiro called me back and left a message on my machine. He said he talked to the person who did the install. The reason they were installed in the front is because the JDM wiring kit for the right handed Skyline isn’t long enough to reach to the middle of the left handed G35. So they just installed them where the wires left off. I don’t think they even looked at the instructions. They just installed it where the wires left off thinking that’s where they go. Live and learn I guess. I’m going to unplug the lights this weekend. They look idiotic lighting up the area behind my front wheel.