Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Is it illegal to put your front license plate in your windshield in CA?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And about the plate in the windshield... It has to be mounted in the front, if its not, then whatever you do with it makes no difference. You can use it as a frisbee, or wear it around your neck as some 'bling'...

A friend told me he was worried when I had it in my windshield... he said "if your in a crazy accident, it could fly out and cut my head off!!!"

Old 09-01-2006, 04:32 PM
rarejdm.com

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Don't drive down by LAX on the weekends... they have cops just waiting to pull you over for no front plate.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought CA Law read that they can give you a fix-it ticket for no front license plate only as a secondary offense... so you can only get ticketed for it if you have done something else.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by nghiars
I thought CA Law read that they can give you a fix-it ticket for no front license plate only as a secondary offense... so you can only get ticketed for it if you have done something else.
That may be true, but I doubt it since I was pulled over on Venice by a cycle cop for no other reason than my front plate wasn't mounted....

Old 10-14-2006, 08:55 PM
yeah, why would u but in on ur windshield. if u get rear ended,,,, bam, licence plate right in the face.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
It's just a matter of time.............

Originally Posted by synaptik_1
That may be true, but I doubt it since I was pulled over on Venice by a cycle cop for no other reason than my front plate wasn't mounted....
I drove my 300ZXT for 12 years with no front plate and didn't get cited........just luck....When I purchased my G I told them to throw it in the trunk
guess my luck is still holding......I hope!

Old 10-31-2006, 12:49 AM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Got stopped for speeding (year ago)which I wasn't and he let me go but he gave the car a once over look and gave me a fix it ticket for no front license. Next day I put it on the bumper and took it in for sign off, the cop tells me to take it off and put it in the window as it makes the car look ugly... Paid my $10 fine and put it back in the window, he said if I ever get stopped again tell them I told you to put it there. Got stopped last week for going 5mph over the limit, again they let me go and then said no front plate, I said the Sonoma PD told me to put it there...he smiled and said go ahead.

Moral is that it is where you live and how nice the cops are in your area.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Brian
^^That's a good story right there!! Lucky you!

Old 10-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by urban
Got stopped for speeding (year ago)which I wasn't and he let me go but he gave the car a once over look and gave me a fix it ticket for no front license. Next day I put it on the bumper and took it in for sign off, the cop tells me to take it off and put it in the window as it makes the car look ugly... Paid my $10 fine and put it back in the window, he said if I ever get stopped again tell them I told you to put it there. Got stopped last week for going 5mph over the limit, again they let me go and then said no front plate, I said the Sonoma PD told me to put it there...he smiled and said go ahead.

Moral is that it is where you live and how nice the cops are in your area.
Lucky you. So you keep the plate on your dash now?

Old 10-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Been there since the day I got the car which would be 2 years this October. I also do the same to my VR4 which is now going on 10 years, never been stopped once in that.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spinn
It's illegal to have anything on your front windshield which would impair your field of vision. Last time I got a ticket for not having it mounted on the bumper, they said that the plate had to be located a certain height above the ground; placing it in the windshield was too high.
Yes, I think it has to be no more than 36" from the ground. (Or 24, I forget which).

When I lived in LA, I just mangled my front plate and threw it in the trunk, along with a mounting bracket that I broke apart. The one time a cop hassled me, (while I was parked in J-Town), I showed her the plate in the trunk, and said I was in an accident recently and the mounting hardware broke, but the part hasn't arrived yet. She let me go.

Tho that only works if you are there when it happens. Another time, (also in J-Town), I just came back to my car to find a ticket on my windshield for no front plate.

Maybe the lesson from all this, is to not go to J-Town anymore

Old 11-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
i was goign to put my front lic on but i got lazy....and then i was goin to put it on the front window but what ever..its in the trunk right now...

Old 11-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
Years ago I used to have it on my windshield and I got a ticket for it. The cop says that it's supposed to be mounted on the furthest front part of your car, which would be the front bumper.

And yes you can get a ticket for no front plates while parked. I have know people who have gotten them.
+1 on both counts.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Well if you plan on going out this holiday season to parties and having a few drinks I suggest you put on that front plate in California at least. 5200 CVC gives an officer just cause to pull you over and if you've been drinking then it jackpot for them. Don't be caught riding dirty just because you want to look cool without a front plate. Just my $.02

Old 12-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SFG356MT
Don't be caught riding dirty just because you want to look cool without a front plate. Just my $.02
I don't think looking cool has anything to do with it. Front plates just look ugly, period. Why would someone think that another person looks cool just b/c they don't have a front plate?

But again, it is the law to have one and we shouldn't complain about getting a ticket for not having one, whether it looks ugly or not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it illegal to put your front license plate in your windshield in CA?