Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Please help...16 year old...Got ticket for 94mph in a 65.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OCGsedan
I find it funny that the kid has admitted that he was speeding- and everyone is encouraging him not to be accountable.. wtf? What ever happened to taking ur licks?

Strtsk8r321 - u seem like a good kid. i didn't hear you make any bs excuses or get pissed at the cop doing his job/ good 4 u. Not sure if ur in the OC or not/ but will tell u that OC judges don't like to hear stories. So, if u decide to go to court, here's what u can do:

go to court to plead 'no contest'. Ask the judge (since this is ur 1st offense) if he'd be willing to reduce ur fine and/or let u go to traffic school since ur a good kid, do well in school, 1st offense.. blah. If the cop doesn't show, you're golden. If he shows, ur only there to ask for lenience - NOT to say that u didn't do anything wrong. (and u might even say that). The judge may see that ur not trying to squirm out and avoid accountability- and may give u a break.

U should go in believing that the cop will indeed be there (CA has a deficit remember) and so prepare for that scenario.

Also, i hear what ur saying about passing the car. Seems reasonable to me. In time u will learn to scan for cops before making that move (assuming the move was safe, btw).. otherwise- miss the exit, get off and get back on and make it next time. Look at it this way, u get to drive ur G for an extra 2 min.!!

Best of luck.
Thanks for the good advice...ya I am not trying to make excuses I know what I did and Im paying for it. If it was unsafe I wouldve definately just gone to the next exit but this was easily makable. I am in OC by the way.

So you definately say to plead 'no contest' rather than "guilty' huh?

Old 05-21-2006, 04:01 PM
yup - it's essentially the same/ "no contest" means your are not contesting the accusation... it used to be termed as "guilty w/ explanation".. which they don't allow anymore (speaking only of OC here)..

u can say that I've had my fair share of time in traffic court in the past. OC judges are notoriously ill tempered (my opinion) so I wouldn't expect much-- but maybe you'll catch them on a good day or make a good enough impression for the judge to actually stop and think for a moment.

Its funny, if you end up getting called late in the day- take a moment and listen to the BS that these judges have to listen to day in and day out- it's no wonder they're all bent. <personally i still think it's wrong- but at least its somewhat understanable>

anyway - best you can hope for <besides cop not showing> is to get traffic school

good luck

Old 05-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sorry, this post may not help too much.

I have gotten pulled over twice in my life.

Once in Pennsylvania while coming home from college at 17. I got caught in a Speed trap and was clocked at 83 in a 65. I spoke to the officer, told him it was a long drive and I was just going with traffic and I did not notice the steep decline Luckily I was in the right lane...so that may have made me seem more innocent (I wasnt passing anyone, but going with traffic) The officer came back to my vehicle and lowered it to 75 in a 65 - - no points cause it was out of state. So maybe you should mention that you were going with traffic in a relitively empty highway and maybe you can mention that there was a sudden step decline that you did not notice... maybe the person infront of you slammed on the breaks and you moved out in the left lane to pass him. I am sure there will be away to explain this (so they can lower it)

Second was when I was 18. A cop was speeding down the street behind me. I check my spedometer and saw that I was doing 40 in a 40, so I try to give room for the cop to pass...because I wasnt doing anything illegal. anyways, after tailgating me for 5 or 6 seconds, he puts on his sirens (is it my tints?!). Tells me that I was speeding big time and must be in a rush... I tell him that I do not believe I was speeding and I am not in a rush. I actually told him my Pennsylvania story and that ever since then I stay in the right lane and let all the other people speeding pass him (Bull**** ) I ask him how fast...he says "very fast". Obviously he did not have a gun. I would have taken this one to court...but he gets a call on the radio about an accident so he leaves me alone (I guess just a warning)

anyways no tickets since than. cops and courts here in NY are pretty chill. When I am outside of NY I try my best to remain the limit.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Just another piece of advice for if you are trying to get the fine reduced...
Do not go into the courtroom dressed like a baller (ie: suit or even a nice dress shirt)...

Old 05-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dofu
Do not go into the courtroom dressed like a baller (ie: suit or even a nice dress shirt)...
really?!?! lol. I am usually wearing my better shirts when I go out.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dofu
However, def. look presentable.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Premier Member

I got speeding ticket awhile back. Going 124 on the I-5 but he clocked me at 104. It was a lesson well learned. For those who don't know the I-5. I was going from LA to San Jose so it's a long strech of freeway. Before anyone bags on me for driving that fast just to let you guys know i took the penalty and learned from it big time. I had to appear in court that was in the middle of a work week in town where the cop tagged me. So that was a 3 hour drive just to go to court. Judge suspended my license for a month. The fine was 480 but that wasn't too bad. It was the month suspension and the 2 points that made my insurance go up to 2500 for 6months. Couldn't go to traffic school because it was wreckless driving. My friend had to drive me to work and back home. That whole month i had to walk to get food or do anything. It sucked big time. I was only 19 at the time and my parents were helping on the paying for the insurance. It was so overwhelming that we had to get liability only. A month after i got my insurance changed i get into an accident and it was a total loss. Stuck with no car. But now it's been awhile since all that happened to me. Now, i'm 28 with Good driver discount on my insurance and slowed down a lot. Main reason why i am able to buy a G35. I don't have the recklessness anymore. Lesson well learned. So slow down. My advice

Old 05-22-2006, 02:30 AM
Ok thanks for all the good advice...I really appreciate it. And up there were you saying to wear a suit or not wear a suit, I didnt really understand it (im guessing wear a suit.)

Another thing...I am really pissed off right now . Its turns out that this cop is real an a-hole. He sent me a ticket in the mail for my damn tints and didnt even tell me about it. I mean come on...he already gave a pretty bad ticket, but now a fix it ticket too? At least have the decency to tell me about it. I guess he was trying to screw my Dad for my actions so that in the end I will get punished (The car is in my dads name so I just told him the car was my dads). This really sucks a$$ cuz first of all the tints make the car look soo much better and I park outside to the interior gets very hot and the tints help cool it down (i think right?).

Ok so a cop lives next door to me. He is a nice guy and Im sure he would sign it off. However he is not CHP; does he have the authority to do this? And if he does sign it off and I get pulled over for tints in the future then what happens to me? I heard its a lot bigger deal for failure to comply.

Lastly, what happens if my neighbor cant sign it off and I put the tints back on afterwards? What can happen? Thankyou all in advance!

Old 05-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Bump...any answers to that^^^

Old 05-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Bad judgment..............

Ok, you made a mistake. You'll probably have your
Dad with you in court, just admit you made a bad
judgment call. We all make them, it's a learning
process. It just takes some of us a little longer or
not at all! Good Luck, use your head while driving.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:45 PM
lazy a$$
I didn't bother going to court or driving school. I just paid the bail for speeding and no insurance haha! It was like $800 and my insurance went up like $7 more a month.
I had no insurance at that time because I've only had my car for 4 days...but should have gotten one earlier! My mistake!

Old 05-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Strtsk8r321
Well if I go to traffic school will my insurance still go up?

i don't think you can go to traffic school because you were ticketed at 94mph in a 65mph zone. I think(at least there used to be) if you go over 25mph the speed limit, you can't go to traffic school unless the judge says so.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the help but can anyone answer the question on tints? Its up like 2-3 posts^^