Connecting an ipod...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2008 | 07:29 PM
|
Connecting an ipod...

Hi

I got a 07 g35x, and i really did not think when i bought the car that having an ipod connecter is the smartest thing to get... Anyway i wanted to connect my ipod. I read online and people said the the Itrip (connecting it through FM) is horrible and the "studio on wheels" would be a waste of money. Then the Aux cable. My boy found one in the house and it work OK, i bought one of ebay and its crap. I know i wont find the perfect solution but anything will help. Oh and by the way the installing of the Nissan ipod connecter is not for me. I got 1 yr left on the lease and i don't want to spend 200 bucks on it.

thanks.

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:11 PM
Moderation-free
Staff Alumni
I've been using the RCA jacks, the Belkin dock connector / charger (sounds better than headphone jack) and a ground loop isolator. Works great.

However, will be attaching the Nissan harness this weekend, it just arrived

Old 03-29-2008 | 12:54 AM
|
Cool, but can you see the playlists on the screen of the car, or do you have to switch songs from the ipod?
thanks man

Old 03-29-2008 | 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by ygtk09
Cool, but can you see the playlists on the screen of the car, or do you have to switch songs from the ipod?
thanks man
I just installed the Nissan iPod module a few days ago (the one from EverythingG35). It took about a half hour to install in the trunk (after finding the satellite harness). It's a pretty good setup. It provides great clear digital sound with absolutely no whining feedback sounds. You can select playlists, artists, genres, songs, setup etc. using the car radio controls and see everything you need on the car screen. When a song is playing you always see the artist, song title and a sequential song number in the playlist for example. The steering wheel volume button still works as well.
I can appreciate you not wanting to spend $185 for one more year having the car but if you get it you could easy remove it later and sell it on here. I think someone would buy it pretty quick used at a good price to you.
Monster makes a cable/charger that plugs into the 30pin port of the iPod and it has a place in the connector to plug in your RCA AV cable to it at the 3.5mm end. It works nice to because it charges and turns off/on the iPod with the ignition. You will probably need a ground loop isolator with it if you use it to play while it’s plugged into charger at the same time. It’s called a Monster Cable Ultra-Low Profile iPod iCharger (AICHG2 IP)
I bought one for $10 at a surplus store near my home. I use it in my wife’s van now.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 03-29-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2008 | 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
I've been using the RCA jacks, the Belkin dock connector / charger (sounds better than headphone jack) and a ground loop isolator. Works great.

However, will be attaching the Nissan harness this weekend, it just arrived
If you happen to be looking for a good explanation of the radio/iPod controls later, check out the last post here: https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...46#post2844246
g35fromAZ helped me out alot with this install and control info.

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:36 AM
Moderation-free
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
If you happen to be looking for a good explanation of the radio/iPod controls later, check out the last post here: https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...46#post2844246
g35fromAZ helped me out alot with this install and control info.
Hey thanks, that's different than I expected

Oh hey, was reading that other thread, and looks like we have the same setup for the SAT cable. Where did you finally find the cable, was it the one circled in yellow in your thread?

Last edited by G35Now!; 03-29-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2008 | 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Hey thanks, that's different than I expected

Oh hey, was reading that other thread, and looks like we have the same setup for the SAT cable. Where did you finally find the cable, was it the one circled in yellow in your thread?
The one circled yellow will work. I disconnected it and connected it to the iPod module and it worked great but then I noticed something else. If you trace that harness wire (in yellow) it travels left along the trunk openings front edge to a 'free' unused connector that you can use instead. I reconnected the one in the yellow circle and used the new one I found (its really the same harness).

You can disconnect the plug circled yellow and use it, or follow the blue arrow left...

...where you will find the unused Satellite plug. Mine was just hanging there as you can see in the green circle.

This is what it looked like after I installed the iPod kit. Sorry, I took the picture before I connected the iPod cable and ran it to the pass-through but that's pretty easy. 'A' is where I 'stuck' the iPod module, 'B' is where I grounded it using self tapping metal screw and washer, 'C' is the satellite connection and the blue line represents where I ran the iPod cable to the outside off the pass-through moulding and into the rear armrest cubby.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 03-29-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2008 | 01:45 PM
Moderation-free
Staff Alumni
^^^^ Outstanding directions, thanks!

Old 03-29-2008 | 02:47 PM
Glad you figured out where the cable went to rpm&my_g35. In your original pictures it looked like it was going up into the hole in the rear deck. It would make sense that it goes over to the left side of the trunk, as that's where the CD changer is mounted in the G's with Nav.

Old 03-29-2008 | 08:08 PM
|
cool, so all i do is instal that nissan part, and automatically it will work once i hook up my ipod... i can keep the ipod in the truck or can i put it through inside the car?
thanks

Old 03-30-2008 | 09:17 AM
Yep, it's that easy. Just remember that its not really meant for our system so don't expect too much as far as the radio controls go. The link to the iPod radio feature/controls is above in post #5 (by g35fromAZ.)

Old 03-31-2008 | 01:54 PM
|
What about RCA cables? will i see whats going on the radio screen?
thnx

Old 03-31-2008 | 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by ygtk09
What about RCA cables? will i see whats going on the radio screen?
thnx
Nope. Anything connected to the RCA inputs (Ipod, Sat radio, etc.) will not show up on the screen.

Old 03-31-2008 | 02:14 PM
^Dido bfranks...that would be considered a video feed using RCA via AUX. Even if it could show you iPod info on the screen it would only be while in park with the e-brake on...that is pretty useless

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 03-31-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2008 | 05:21 PM
|
If im going to use the RCA cable, what is the best one?
thank

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Connecting an ipod...