My morning at . GTM!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
My morning at . GTM!

This is a thread I didn’t think I would ever be starting. But yes, I’ve decided to join the Gamma Tau Mu fraternity. I’ve been following the GTM G37 project closely and talked to Sam a few times regarding the possibility of them doing a TT for the late model sedan. Here is the thread for the G37 project for those of you that are interested:

http://www.myg37.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178413

I originally decided against it at the time because I couldn’t justify the cost to myself so I thought I would wait and do a little more research and see what else comes up. During the wait, Injen released their intake for the late model sedan, so I actually ordered one up. Ironically, I got a call from GTM a day later to see if I was serious about boosting my car to which I eagerly answered “YES”! Sorry to cancel the Injen order Lou … thanks for understanding!

GTM is preparing to sell their kit for outside installation and they wanted to do some verification tests. GTM presented a quote that I sat on it for a few days while discussing it with my wife. I felt kinda guilty about spending that kinda dough on a hobby instead of paying down our mortgage. In the end, I decided to go for it when my wife said “you’ll only feel guilty for a little while … but the regret will be forever”.

I agreed to drop my car off at GTM for “only” a week or two (fingers crossed) this past Saturday. My wife was gonna give me a ride back but suggested I see if one of the forum guys wanted to go since they would get more out of it than she would. I gave our most famous PW (BLUESLATE) a call and we cruised out there together on Saturday morning. Being the first time out there for both of us, we were both very impressed with all the project and customer cars they were working on.

I already had a few lengthy discussions on the phone with Sam on what the process is so I was pretty comfortable going forward. I spoke with Sam again in person on the key selling point for me which is reliability. I’ve heard and read so many horror stories of owners breaking rods and putting holes in their blocks. Sam assured me that the HR block and bottom end is MUCH more robust than the VQ block and that I am not even close to pushing big HP numbers for a TT car. He showed us both the HR block and the DE block for comparison and I can say the crank journals and supporting structure of the HR block are visibly beefier. To make a stronger point, I was told the new GTR, the G37, and the G35 HR motors all share basically the same block with the displacements changed by stroke length. Having a car like this being unreliable is not acceptable to GTM either.

BTW … as we were finishing up, Alan got the mod bug REALLY bad while we were there. All I can say is … kids do not belong in the candy store! Who knows, maybe he’ll be leaving his car there when we go pick mine up!

This is the quote with the components that will be installed for those interested:

Sorry, I hope you guys understand I had to keep the price I paid for install confidential. If you are serious about going for this project, pricing is already on the GTM website. I think you guys will be impressed.

The last time I had my car on the dyno was when Fast Intentions added their exhaust which will stay on the car along with test pipes being added by GTM. Tony at FI is already aware of this project if there are problems due to exhaust restriction, but everyone thinks the goal of 400 RELIABLE Hp to the rear wheels should be no problem with the current set-up.

Here is the dyno plot after FI exhaust installation:

And here is the baseline dyno plot at GTM:

So now I have to sit back and force myself to NOT call GTM every hour to see how the install is going. We'll be adding to the story as they progress through the project.

EDIT to add thread shortcuts:
Photos can be found on posts 54, 88, 97, 102, 125, 259 and 417
Final Dyno can be found on post 370, page 25
Dyno video can be found on post 387, page 26

Last edited by terrycs; 12-05-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
congrats bro..keep us updated!!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
congrats man, as long as it's relieble i am sure it will be a blast to drive. Did i read this right, Alan is next?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck with the car.... As much as i love power... i'm getting too many speeding tickets with the car stock, i don't think i could do a TT setup. Post pics of the car's install if u can

Old 06-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Nice. Good luck with your project.
Your wife is a keeper.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Looks like you're in for a great journey! Definately keep us updated

PS. I'm assuming you meant to state an HR block in comparison to a DE block (you used "VQ", as if you didn't have one ).

Old 06-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Wow, terry. Good luck. Definitely keep us posted!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! GTM!!!!!! GL on the set up man! And best of all, HAVE FUN!!!

Also!!! ALLAN! (Blueslate) What did you get your self into now! hahaha

Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 PM

thx .. good catch.

Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Looks like you're in for a great journey! Definately keep us updated

PS. I'm assuming you meant to state an HR block in comparison to a DE block (you used "VQ", as if you didn't have one ).

Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 PM

No problem if Sam keeps his promise for reliability!

Originally Posted by leojang
Nice. Good luck with your project.
Your wife is a keeper.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
congrats and another happy camper coming out of GTM

Old 06-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
No problem if Sam keeps his promise for reliability!
You'll be fine!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At last! a REAL Turbo thread!!! Unlike that other one that just pissed ppl off...

Good luck! you'll end up with a MONSTER when your car is done

Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Congrats Terry, good luck and plz keep us posted and we need a lot of pics and VIDEOS... when done of course. Thanks

Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 PM
wow ur wife is badass..and good luck man..its gonna be sweeet

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My morning at . GTM!