Visiting Houston on Labor Day weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Arrow Visiting Houston on Labor Day weekend

My wife and I will be doing a road trip (from Orlando, FL) to Houston starting Friday evening to Saturday afternoon on Labor Day weekend (8/29 - 9/1). We'll be staying in Houston at our relatives' place until Monday morning (9/1) then drive back home to Orlando. I was wondering if anyone offers any suggestions for places to see, visit, do, eat, drink, etc. We have a 11-month old son with us, so any suggestions for kid-friendly places are welcome as well. We've heard some nice things about the Yao Ming restaurant and the Galleria..

Also, I know it's a holiday weekend and all but if any of you happen to be around town and might be available for a mini-meet, let me know. This is what we'll be rolling to TX with:

Old 08-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on guys lets show some Southern hospitality!

Well first which side of down will you be in? Since you mentioned Yao's (Yao's is ok but ehh...) I'm going to assume the Westheimer/Galleria area.

Here are some suggestions:

1)The Aquarium in downtown Houston

2)The Keemah Boardwalk

3)Space Center Houston

4)Schlitterbahn in Galveston

5)First Colony Town Center - nice place to stroll, shop, eatery's

Places to eat:
As far as places to eat there are several different places there. BBQ and Tex-Mex is some of the best you'll find around here. If you have specific tastes let me know i can give you names.

Have fun and Welcome to Texas!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestions bro. Yes we'll be staying near the Westheimer/Galleria area but only for 2 days, and then we go back to Florida. The Aquarium idea sounds like a good one, we'll consider doing that (surely there will be something for the kids there too). As far as food tastes go, Chinese is pretty much our main taste since that's in our blood (and I am one) So if you can think of good authentic Chinese / Vietnamese places to eat while we're in Houston, I'd like to hear them.

Finally, do any of you know performance/tuner shops that sell G and Z parts in Houston? I may need to buy some stuff while I'm there. Thanks

Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 PM
For chinese food you should hit up china town. A bunch of good places up and down bellaire.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 AM
I only been in Houston for a year but personally
I like a place called Mai's...Stays open on the weekend till 3 in the morning.
Its a Viet/Chinese food place.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by lexusk8
Thanks for the suggestions bro. Yes we'll be staying near the Westheimer/Galleria area but only for 2 days, and then we go back to Florida. The Aquarium idea sounds like a good one, we'll consider doing that (surely there will be something for the kids there too). As far as food tastes go, Chinese is pretty much our main taste since that's in our blood (and I am one) So if you can think of good authentic Chinese / Vietnamese places to eat while we're in Houston, I'd like to hear them.

Finally, do any of you know performance/tuner shops that sell G and Z parts in Houston? I may need to buy some stuff while I'm there. Thanks
You're welcome! Oh yeah you're going to like the aquarium. Apart from being a restaurant, aquarium, they have a mini carnival for the kiddies to enjoy.

As far as Chinese/Vietnamese food. Then entire street of Bellaire is Chinatown. Since you're going to be in the Westheimer/Galleria area I would take West on Westheimer towards beltway 8(Sam Houston Tollway) and then go South on Beltway 8 till you reach Bellaire. Once you are there my friend you are in like flynn. There are several good restaurants it just depends on your taste. (I'll be biased and say Tan Tan b/c i'm friends with the owner haahh)

In regards to G and Z parts. I would suggest SGP Racing on the NorthSide of town. I'm going to assume that they have parts in stock.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:11 PM
i want your rims... =]

Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Well I returned from my somewhat too short of a weekend in Houston. It was short because of Gustav and the forecast that it could force closure of parts of I-10 in Louisiana and Mississippi. Most of the New Orleans residents evac'ed to TX late Saturday which unfortunately we got caught up in, so we were bumper-to-bumper for a good 1-2 hours till things started moving to Houston. We only stayed one night and got to check out the Chinatown in Bellaire. Bought loads of groceries and other things we can't find in Florida, and had lunch in Yao's restaurant (had the best Peking duck I've tasted!).

All in all, it was a short and somewhat bittersweet weekend. Next time we go back to Houston, we'll fly there instead