license plates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you've all had better luck than I, or just maybe the legal system and courts in San Antonio and Bexar county are just more corrupt than most.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by mt7rabbit
^^congrats on getting it dismissed.

I've been ticketed for being an idiot and having my front license plate in the trunk of my car, the old excuse of "I just got my frame yesterday" does not work. I took a pic of my car with the plate mounted on the bumper and got it dismissed. That was all before I knew about this Texas Administrative Code. Now I have my plate on my windshield and if I get pulled over again, I'm going to fight it in court.

If I get pulled over for having my license plate on my windshield and I get a ticket I won't fight the officer. (fighting with him will only make him behave like more of an A-hole) 9 times out of 10 the officer will just think I'm being a smart a$$ and give me a ticket anyway. So I'll be polite and take the ticket without a fuss.

I would prove myself in court where I have a much better chance of winning. Read this:

Texas Transportation Code section 502.404(a) requires that a motor vehicle "display two license plates, at the 'front' and rear of the vehicle." Tex. Transp. Code Ann. § 502.404(a). The code does not define the "front" of a vehicle.

In State v. Losoya, 128 S.W.3d 413 (Tex. App. - Austin 2004, pet. ref'd) the Court of Appeals decided an issue very similar to that of my callers. In Losoya, the police testified they had noticed a pickup did not have a license plate mounted on the front bumper. Instead, the plate was wedged between the dashboard and windshield. As a result, the police stopped the vehicle believing a traffic violation had occurred. At the suppression hearing the police officer added he could see the license plate in the truck's front window.

The court found the term "front" ambiguous and looked to other factors to determine the meaning of the code section. The court said:

"While a place to display the license plate is usually found on the front bumper, the statute does not expressly require the use of this location. The display of the plate in some other place or manner is not inconsistent with the language or purpose of the statute. The officers testified that they could see the license plate in the windshield. We conclude that Losoya's display of his front license plate in the manner shown here did not violate section 502.404(a) as to give the officers grounds to reasonably suspect a violation of that statute."

This link should clear things up pay close attention to section F

http://secure.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pu...=1&ch=15&rl=54
Thanks for that post, i had lost that info when my computer crashed

Old 05-22-2009, 05:02 AM
I would, but the whole flying metal projectile kind of throws me off

Maybe I'll try and figure out some sort of suction cup system to the window on the lower passenger side....

Old 05-22-2009, 09:22 PM
thats funny, i took my front license plate off and no more than 12hrs later a state trooper pulled me over and gave me a written warning...so now i just have it in the front windshield