who in Texas actually has front license plate mounted on front bumper?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who in Texas actually has front license plate mounted on front bumper?

hey guys, I have been in Austin for about 3 years now, moved from Tenn, they dont require a front license plate.

in Texas they do, who actually has one on their front bumper?

if you have one in ur window, how do u have it set?

Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM
most cops aren't gonna bother with the license plate unless they are looking to pull you over for something else and will use the plate as an excuse. i just put it where the glass and dash meet you can wedge it in there nice. remember in tx it just needs to be displayed in the front area not mounted.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^Many cops are misinformed about this law and believe that it needs to be drilled on the front bumper or you are braking the law.

I've been pulled over 2 times for this license plate issue, the first time I did not have a front license plate on my car at all. I got a fix it ticket for being stupid.

The second time I had my plate wedged between my windshield and dashboard and held in place by suction cups. The cop gave me a lecture on how I needed to mount it on the bumper instead of on the windshield. I respectfully asked for permission and reached into my glove box to hand him some paper work on Texas Transportation Code section 502.404 and State v. Losoya. 5 minutes later he let me go without any further issues.

My front license plate is mounted high enough for all the numbers to be clearly visible from outside of the car just above the windshield wiper.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by mt7rabbit
^^^Many cops are misinformed about this law and believe that it needs to be drilled on the front bumper or you are braking the law.

I've been pulled over 2 times for this license plate issue, the first time I did not have a front license plate on my car at all. I got a fix it ticket for being stupid.

The second time I had my plate wedged between my windshield and dashboard and held in place by suction cups. The cop gave me a lecture on how I needed to mount it on the bumper instead of on the windshield. I respectfully asked for permission and reached into my glove box to hand him some paper work on Texas Transportation Code section 502.404 and State v. Losoya. 5 minutes later he let me go without any further issues.

My front license plate is mounted high enough for all the numbers to be clearly visible from outside of the car just above the windshield wiper.

OH man thats great, im going to print that out and keep wit with me, so when, or if I do get stopped, I will have to mention that this is the law..

haha

I think our G's look like crap with the license plate on the bumper

Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
TEXAS TRANSPORTATION CODE

TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC

SUBTITLE A. CERTIFICATES OF TITLE AND REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES

CHAPTER 502. REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES

SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Sec. 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
anyone have the link i can print out?

5 years and cops have still never said anything about no front plate even when i have been pulled over. hell same goes for the tint

Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beebo
anyone have the link i can print out?

5 years and cops have still never said anything about no front plate even when i have been pulled over. hell same goes for the tint
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.502.htm

Old 04-05-2010, 01:01 AM
hhaha since we are on the subject....my buddy and i got pulled over on our way to import reactor..no front plates...warning only...whew...i wasnt even supposed to leave dallas county....

Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 AM
not mwah but i got it on my left corner windshield...

Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never been pulled even when facing a police officer while waiting at a traffic light, but my girlfriend got ticketed in her Mini Cooper for not having a front plate. My brother has also been ticketed before and the judge told him to put it on the bumper. I'm guessing it's open to law enforcement interpretation until it becomes a big deal.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 AM
I've lived in TX 4 years now and never had a front plate on any of my cars. I've never been pulled over for it. In fact, when I have gotten pulled over for other things, they've never even mentioned it. I drive past numerous cops every day since I park in one of the State Trooper parking lots by the capital. I've always passed inspection without it also.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:27 PM
I got pulled over 4 or five times in my Camaro's in High School/college so when I got the G I just left up front...just a reason to pull you over and check if you're doing something you shouldn't be...plus I cannot find a plate front bumper cover for my Nismo package anyway

Old 04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
i got pulled over when i came out here with my rsx but i didnt have a front plate at all he let me go just tell them your from outta state haha but i just put mine in the center of my windshield that way they just look to the right and see my stickers

Old 04-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Ive been her a year and got pulled over once - he was looking to see if i was drunk (which i wasn't) since it was like 1:30 AM...

I just mounted the hide away plate - i shouldn't have any more plate issues...

Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 PM
DTM
I have been pulled over one time for specifically not having a front license,but that was in Victoria. Every time I have been pulled over besides that time the cop mentions it but just gives me verbal warning. . .while he is writing me a speeding ticket.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: who in Texas actually has front license plate mounted on front bumper?