TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

**FIXED ** Re: Rattles, Creaking in G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to let everyone who has been experience the 'rattling' door problem know that it is a pretty easy fix. It only took me (a mechanically inept person) about 30 minutes to do all four doors.

Using Poindexter54's advice from this thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...&part=all&vc=1

Basically, I had rattling/creaking noises in both front doors and one rear door. I took it to the dealer service department twice, and both times they failed to fix the rattles, finally telling me it was "normal road noise, recommend customer drive as-is".

The fix is simple. For each door do the following:

1 - Pop off the wood panel trim on the door, assuming you have the wood option, if not it is silver trim on the door. You can pop it off by hand by pulling it gently from the underside, or you can use a small flat-head screwdriver to pry it gently.

2 - Remove the 2 screws in the door handle hidden behind the wood panel you just removed.

3 - Remove the small 'square' near the door handle with a flat-head screwdriver, and remove the screw now exposed that was hidden behind the square.

4 - Pop off the door panel on the front bottom edges gently. Then lift the entire door panel off as one piece, and gently rest it on the door frame or let it hang. It will not come completely off without unhooknig some wiring harnesses, but we dont need it all the way off for what we are doing anyway.

5 - Use "Foam Tape" or "adhesive weather stripping" that can be found at any Home Depot type of place. Attach the foam strips along the top of the door near the very top edge of the metal, where the top of the door panel rest when it is placed back on the door. This is where the majority of rattles are coming from, from the plastic ratling against the metal door frame. I had some extra foam strips, so I put some down around the speaker area, and along the bottom and side of the door as well just for safety's sake.

6 - Put the door panel back on, put all screws back in and re-attach your wood panel. All done.

Please note, this may take some fine tuning. The first time I applied the foam, the rattle persisted. I took the door panel back off and added some foam and adjusted the placement, and the rattle went away. I recommend doing this for all four doors.

I am going to call my dealer on Monday and tell them what I did to fix the rattles. I'll probably drive it down there and show them exactly what I did so they can keep someone else from the same annoying rattle in the future.

If it weren't for this website and the other owners posting, I never would have gotten my rattles fixed. Thanks guys!

Old 10-07-2002, 11:10 AM

I'm glad I could be of service. There's nothing quite like fixing it yourself, especially when it's under warranty!!

Old 10-07-2002, 08:27 PM

cool,

now i don't have to drive mine off a cliff.
I'll give it a shot.

What size tape did you use?
Was it really that easy?

did you just place it all over or in certain place's??
I have rattles back passenger and driver side door.

thanks

Mark

Old 10-08-2002, 02:32 PM

There is a factory fix for the door rattles, ITB 02-021 dated April 3 2002 from Infiniti.....ck with your dealer

Old 10-08-2002, 03:17 PM

Mudbog, here's a link to the tape I got from Home Depot..

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...herstrip&DRC=4

The most important place to get is the upper edge fo the door, where the panel rests against the metal. Other than that, I put quite a bit down around the speaker area, and some near the door handle. The tape is very cheap, so I didn't see any reason to skimp.

Also, in regards to the factory fix that Infintity has for the rattles, I had that done and it did not fix anything. I saw the "rattle insulators" they installed. All they install are 2 little pieces of gauze type foam down in the middle of the door. It did nothing to help my rattles.

Old 10-08-2002, 06:32 PM

XEcutioner, believe me, I am by no means mechanically inclined, and I understand your apprehension in servicing your new car yourself. However, this is really even easier than the instructions make it sound. It's literally just removing 3 screws, popping the door panel off, sticking some foam strips in, and then popping the panel back on and replacing the screws. The first door I took it very slow to make sure I didn't hurt anything, and it took me about 15 minutes from start to finish. After that, each door was done in 5 minutes or so. The only thing you need to be careful not to 'break' is the little plastic clips that hold your wood trim on. They have a 'prong' that slides down at the top edge and then you just clamp them into place. So, when you take them off, dont just jerk them off, make sure to gently remove them and pull the prong out before taking me completely off. Once you get the first door done, you'll know what I mean when I say is it very simple.

I installed dynamat in my old car, a 97 Ford F-150, and these is a piece of cake compared to that.

Old 10-10-2002, 09:32 PM

G35 - Thats the same sound I had in my doors. It's not THAT loud, but really irritating. Regarding the tape, I think pretty much any type/brand will work. Basically all you are doing is putting a soft, absorbant layer between the plastic door and the metal frame. I bought the thick kind, I think it was about 1/2 thick. The actual name of it was "Adhesive Foam Weatherstrip", but they had alot of different types that would probably work fine. I don't think it will ever come off.. during my first experiment with it, I tried to take a piece off after a day and it wouldnt budge without me using a putty knife to gently pry it off.

Old 02-07-2003, 11:02 PM

Hi, ncozby. Could you provide more details of how to remove the plastic/wood trim pieces? The pieces on my car will not budge. I can insert a small screwdriver in the slot and get some movement but that is all. TIA.

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue>

Old 02-09-2003, 02:42 AM
IQ9

My dealer says if I develop the problem to bring it in "they know the what and how". I hope I don't get any but who knows. I would think other dealers should be aware of this-may just lazy.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Premium/Winter/Aero
69 Chevelle BB/4.11's