G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   TSB- Technical Bulletins (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins-12/)
-   -   Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins/197305-infiniti-rev-up-oil-consumption-tsb.html)

PTownG 09-25-2008 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by gaskam
This question may have been asked before but what the hey....this thread is now 25 pages long. Was wondering if anyone decided to have their clutch replaced, and maybe flywheel, while the dealer had the motor out for the swap? Seems like a great time to have it done since they have the entire trans accessible.

Picked up my new V2 replaced G today. I did ask before they started to inspect the clutch and if it had significant wear to let me know and i would pay for the parts to replace it as long as they had it apart. They called after the engine was out and said I had at least 70% on it and didn't think it needed replacing. Sounds about right. car had only 24k on it and i've bought manual trans cars all my life. Out of 20 years of driving I think only 2 or 3 of that was on an AT. I am for more comfortable with an MT and I definately know how to drive one and not kill the clutch.

Dranom 09-25-2008 03:50 AM

does the dealer reset your ODO when you get a new engine?
also anyone here from So Cal that have their engine replaced? i think i need to get my oc test done:mad:

also whats are the steps you guys did before doing the testing?
call infiniti and then go to the dealer to do the test?

V35 Skyline GT 09-25-2008 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by dranom
does the dealer reset your ODO when you get a new engine?
also anyone here from So Cal that have their engine replaced? i think i need to get my oc test done:mad:

also whats are the steps you guys did before doing the testing?
call infiniti and then go to the dealer to do the test?

No they don't reset odo.

I called Infiniti first and filed complaint, but that was before TSB was released with their 1qt/1000mi or worse standard for OC warranty replacement.
Now you just go to dealer and report your OC and they'll start OC testing per TSB procedures.

V35 Skyline GT 09-25-2008 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by fbpem1
of the motors i have done a few people have asked me to put in aftermarket units and a few people have purchased new clutches and flywheels from us generally though people don't want it done they don't care. its not like we charge extra labor to do it everything is apart anyway why not haha.

Yes that motor comes BONE dry, i did one yesterday as a matter of fact, drove it home last night and everythings great there is a differance in how that motor runs comparred to how the old one ran everything does seem a lot smoother. Only thing that pisses me off about that motor is that since its a TSB motor they give you NOTHING on the motor haha, oh well part of the job i guess.

twofst4u, he probably mentioned ESTER OIL, i just did that TSB today on a G37 agian...it fixed it don't use it on a 05-07 coupe/sedan 6mt, not needed.

This new motor does fix the problem in every case i have put one in, i also have had a few customers worried that it wasn't fixed did an oil consumption test over the course of 3750 and everything was good, still used a little tiny bit but its going to. Of course i didn't read this whole thread but oh well. All motors that are that efficent are going to use oil i guess this was already discussed, but the new motor does work very well and uses minimal.

any questions you all have or pictures you want i'm more than happy to provide them for you all. heres one now actually as you can see the trans and engine easily drops out as one entire assembly with the cradle. sorry for the horrible quality it was taken with my blackberry by the guy who works next to me haha.

Ester Oil...Group V base oil. Right up there with PAO Group IV base oils. Interesting.
TSB on G37's with the VQ37VHR? OC issues on those too?
Seen any VQ35HR's with OC issues as well?

20mm (5/6qt) down in 3750mi on mine is a lot more than a tiny bit imo, but it seems to be getting better as it continues to break-in. Time and future UOA's will tell with mine. It's metallurgy build so far proves to be good with my last UOA. Rings have not seated/sealed 100% yet and fuel dilute in oil is still way too high on my re-manned replacement.

Perhaps a bit off topic here, but where is the EGR valve located on these VQ35DE's? Have a theory I need to investigate as to a non related OC condition my old VQ had and now my replacement is having. Don't think these replacements came with new EGR's. Original EGR swapped over as many other components are?

Thanks for you insight.

fbpem1 09-25-2008 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
TSB on G37's with the VQ37VHR? OC issues on those too?
Seen any VQ35HR's with OC issues as well?

there are not OC issues with the HR motor that i have seen at all they all run great. The G37 has a tsb for VVEL noise, since it dosn't have your typical camshaft it has a drive and a driven to infinatly alter the cam timing. And it makes a little bit of noise on B2.

Perhaps a bit off topic here, but where is the EGR valve located on these VQ35DE's? Have a theory I need to investigate as to a non related OC condition my old VQ had and now my replacement is having. Don't think these replacements came with new EGR's. Original EGR swapped over as many other components are?

they don't use EGR valves or a EGR system

Dranom 09-25-2008 02:36 PM

No they don't reset odo.

I called Infiniti first and filed complaint, but that was before TSB was released with their 1qt/1000mi or worse standard for OC warranty replacement.
Now you just go to dealer and report your OC and they'll start OC testing per TSB procedures.

ic. by the way did you put all your stock parts back on? coz i have a polished plenum and fujita intake and i wanna know if i need to put it to stock.

V35 Skyline GT 09-25-2008 06:32 PM

there are not OC issues with the HR motor that i have seen at all they all run great. The G37 has a tsb for VVEL noise, since it dosn't have your typical camshaft it has a drive and a driven to infinatly alter the cam timing. And it makes a little bit of noise on B2.

Okay understand now. Not OC related and reason of Ester base oils.

Okay...thanks again. Thought I saw something in my shop manual that listed EGR, EGR solenoid and related exhaust gas sensor. Was in an 06 manual.
Thanks for your clarification no such system used. On to my next theory about pre-detonation issues....lol.

V35 Skyline GT 09-25-2008 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by dranom
ic. by the way did you put all your stock parts back on? coz i have a polished plenum and fujita intake and i wanna know if i need to put it to stock.

It's been mentioned many times on OC threads that some dealers are mod friendly, some aren't. It's really your call on what you think your dealer is like or go back to stock or not. Polished plenum (if oem plenum) shouldn't be an issue at all imo.

Me personally...only things I left on were my Z-Tube and cat-back Injen exhaust, rest was OEM. Probably could've left my JWT intake on being it was CARB approved for California, but it was no biggie to put stock air box back on, so I did but that's just me.

twofst4u 09-25-2008 10:02 PM

Okay so if it's not the OC issues then the new G37's comes with Ester Oil from factory???

It's possible that Ester Oil is what he mentioned to me...I'm not familiar with this oil at all, can you give us some insights on what are the advantages/disadvantages of this oil for breaking-in a new engine vs. traditional engine oil? Is this a procedure that infiniti is using now for the replacement, because the TSB doesn't call for Ester Oil...Just wondering.

I'm assuming you work for the dealership???

btw, thanks for sharing.

trey99ek 10-11-2008 07:14 PM

Back to the dealer today. 25mm low confirmed by service manager in 2200 miles. They are going to call "headquarters" and get an engine on order Monday.

V35 Skyline GT 10-12-2008 09:20 AM

^ That's very close to what my OC was on my oem VQ.

twofst...I read that TSB for the G37 on that Ester oil recently. Think that's a safe assumption that's what your dealer mentioned. But any advantage for us to use in our VQ35DE's...that I don't know. First I've heard of this oil too. Heard of Ester based oils, but not literally named as such.

ckkone 10-17-2008 09:02 PM

Anyone know if this is covered if you bought the car used, the dealer has no oil change records and you don't have records either? I have an 05 6mt sedan with 45k and I'm worried it has this issue, but I have done all maintenance myself.

SiouxFallsG35 10-17-2008 10:41 PM

^I'm in the same boat. I'll be keeping my walmart receipts every time I buy oil/filter in case I need to do the revup TSB.

gaskam 10-18-2008 09:16 AM

No need to worry about records. The TSB specifically indicates that if records are not available the dealer can either top off the oil or change the oil at their expense to start the OC test. I had the same concern with mine, the dealer opted to top off the oil in my instance. If you do not have a copy of the TSB, I would suggest obtaining a copy at http://www.infinitihelp.com/
Good luck with your test.

V35 Skyline GT 10-18-2008 11:16 AM

Or go here where I posted the most recent TSB I know of....

https://g35driver.com/forums/3275606-post284.html