G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   TSB- Technical Bulletins (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins-12/)
-   -   Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins/197305-infiniti-rev-up-oil-consumption-tsb.html)

Glex25 01-11-2008 11:45 PM

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

5 Attachment(s)
Well It looks like Infiniti has finally decided to release their own TSB on the oil consumption issue.

Here it is.

Glex25 01-11-2008 11:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Cont'd

MIA BlazinVQ 01-11-2008 11:53 PM

finally good news for the plagued VQ's. Luckily mine has not shown signs, but I'll continue to monitor the oil just in case.

G-Ticket 01-12-2008 12:15 AM

Its about damn time! I guess I'll start the dreaded consumption testing, at least the weathers nice for my 100 mile drive to the dealership. Thanks for posting this.
Lisa

Glex25 01-12-2008 12:24 AM

It's messed up that they are now saying that records from Infiniti dealership about oil change.

They won't accept any oil change receipts from anyone but Infiniti dealerships

TIAN 01-12-2008 12:50 AM

Finally! Its about time they own up to the issue. Thanks for the good news.

xjonmo 01-12-2008 12:53 AM

it's about time, but what if you don't change your oil at infiniti?

markiev37 01-12-2008 02:35 AM

I just read the TSB and do not see that written anywhere...Can you specify where this is written please..:confused2:

Originally Posted by Glex25
It's messed up that they are now saying that records from Infiniti dealership about oil change.

V35 Skyline GT 01-12-2008 11:40 AM

^ pg 6, #14.

It says the same thing on the 350Z TSB, except it says Nissan.

shdowflare 01-12-2008 12:28 PM

Hmmm...I see that. I still don't see how they could hold out if we got oil changes done elsewhere. Does it say specifically in the owner's manual that all oil changes must take place at Infiniti dealerships? If not, I doubt they have a case to use that to deny these warranty repairs.

GeezNuts 01-12-2008 12:37 PM

If i were to take my car to the dealer - would they check for that on their own, or would i have to explicitly ask for them to do this?

I just bought my 06 Coupe last week - haven't had to change the oil or anything yet --- normally i would change it myself, but if i need to have them change it initially in order to have them confirm that my engine is either fine/bad then i guess that's what I'll do.

Ruhnie 01-12-2008 01:00 PM

The way it's worded though, makes me think that they're just saying the OC test itself has to be done between oil changes done at an Infiniti shop. I can't imagine that they'd want to see all of your service records since you've owned the car, that's just insane.

Dumb question - does the car still have to be under warranty to use a TSB?

shdowflare 01-12-2008 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ruhnie
The way it's worded though, makes me think that they're just saying the OC test itself has to be done between oil changes done at an Infiniti shop. I can't imagine that they'd want to see all of your service records since you've owned the car, that's just insane.

I think I agree with your interpretation. Also, for the dealer to use the TSB (and repair accordingly) without cost to you I believe the car must be under warranty. Only recalls are covered without a valid warranty.

markiev37 01-12-2008 04:28 PM

this is my interpretation also.....

Originally Posted by Ruhnie

EarlyG35 01-12-2008 05:23 PM

Thanks Glex25!! You are my hero!!

Where did you get the bulletin from?

treacherous 01-12-2008 05:41 PM

It could probably be downloaded with paid subscription from here:

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infi...RefNo=ITB08002

EarlyG35 01-12-2008 05:45 PM

Thanks for the info treaceous! I just want to make sure the bulletin is legit. Is there any other place I can get the bulletins for free? I don't want to pay for subscription.

Gle25, do you have an annual subscription?

Glex25 01-12-2008 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by EarlyG35
Thanks for the info treaceous! I just want to make sure the bulletin is legit. Is there any other place I can get the bulletins for free? I don't want to pay for subscription.

Gle25, do you have an annual subscription?

www.infinitihelp.com

Just need to register

V35 Skyline GT 01-12-2008 05:54 PM

www.infinitihelp.com

Just need to register

^ Yup ;)

V35 Skyline GT 01-13-2008 09:17 AM

So did anyone notice the two differences between our TSB and the 350Z TSB?

Our TSB stresses the break-in proceedures and there's a cut-off date/VIN #.
Did they stop building 07 6mt coupes after May 29, 2007? Or did they use a different rev-up VQ afterward? Anyone know?

Greasy 01-13-2008 11:37 AM

Wow, I never realized this car burned oil like that. Mine wasn't even registered on the dip stick. It's way over 24mm from the high point.

The engine has 9,500 miles on it, and I've never missed an oil change. I'm all over this tomorrow!

If they replace the engine what does that do to the value of my car?

giorgio_g 01-13-2008 10:11 PM

now does this aplies only to MT only or does it applies to AT also can someone elaborate for me please? thanx!

V35 Skyline GT 01-14-2008 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by giorgio_g
now does this aplies only to MT only or does it applies to AT also can someone elaborate for me please? thanx!

Applied Vehicles:

2005 - 2006 G35 Sedan (V35) with M/T
2005 - 2007 G35 Coupe (CV35) with M/T

^First page of TSB.

350Z TSB also states 'with M/T'
These TSB's pertain only to the rev-up VQ's that are found in 2005 and newer 6mt's only.

shdowflare 01-14-2008 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Applied Vehicles:

^First page of TSB.

These TSB's pertain only to the rev-up VQ's that are found in 2005 and newer 6mt's only.

Good luck to all you guys with the models above. I've got a non-revup VQ with this problem too...so the TSB doesn't help me. But I'm still going for a new engine.

Vblick 01-14-2008 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Greasy
If they replace the engine what does that do to the value of my car?

I am wondering the same thing. Also, they DO NOT reset your odometer when they put a new engine in, right?

Yv12345vY 01-14-2008 02:15 PM

Here's another thing, I'm over 15k and switched to synthetic. The stealerships in my area aren't very responsive to synthetic oils. What happens if they just pour regular dyno back in at the TSB??

Vblick 01-14-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Yv12345vY
Here's another thing, I'm over 15k and switched to synthetic. The stealerships in my area aren't very responsive to synthetic oils. What happens if they just pour regular dyno back in at the TSB??

Here's my experience with synthetic so far:

My car has 9k miles on it. After the first oil change at 3.5k miles, I had them replace dyno with synthetic. At 6.5k miles I noticed the oil burning. I discussed it with them and they thought the engine might just burn synthetic since the molecules are smaller etc.. The service manager said it's not a big deal to go back to dyno, so they drained the synthetic and put in dyno and started the oil consumption testing. Well now @ 9k miles, my car has burnt 1.2 qts of dyno oil (over 2k miles, 2 oil tests) After the 2nd test, the infiniti mechanic said "because you had synthetic the damage is already done." I told him "uhh..you guys put it in an never mentioned this being a problem." Seriously, what kind of car can't use synthetic? Anyway, after that I talked with the service manager and she said there isn't a problem. I wouldn't be in jeopardy of not getting a new engine simply because I had synthetic in before. She then told me that they had 1 other 2007 6MT coupe have the engine replaced and that coupe had synthetic in it before they started the consumption tests. After running the consumption tests on his car, with dyno, they gave him a new engine.

If you're that worried about it, just swap out the oil and then take it in. I'm not sure if they can tell if you had synthetic in to begin with unless you had them put it in.

V35 Skyline GT 01-14-2008 04:50 PM

My Dealer endorses Synth. They told me to wait until 15K on VQ before switching, which I did. They've done all my oil services including Synth.
I'm currently in consumption testing with Synth that the Dealer uses (Syntec 5w-30)
Depends on the Dealer I hear. Some will only use Dino during testing.
The other Dealer near me will only use Dino, while my local Dealer says it doesn't matter as long as it's 5w-30.

Notice on our TSB and 350Z TSB too, it says nothing about Dino or Synth. Only states it must be 5w-30 ;)

My VQ has had OC since new while using Dino oil. When switched to Synth at 15K, my OC only worsened a very slight amount.
Don't let any Dealer or tech tell you Synth is the cause of this OC.

Greasy 01-14-2008 07:47 PM

They started my OC test today, and they used synth, as I've always used.

why they even bother is beyond me considering all my oil changes have been at the dealership I bought the car at. Jesus, why would I drain the oil out of my car that has less than 10k on it?

I don't trust them, so when it goes back, I'm parking it in the parking lot for the recommended 30 min, then asking them to come out with me present to test the levels. They seemed determined to tell me that it was okay today. Since when is not having ANY oil on the dip stick okay after 2900 miles? :eek3:

Yv12345vY 01-15-2008 08:59 AM

That's good to know. I was thinking of just having them put dyno back in for the consumption test and then resume with synthetic. I checked my dip stick last night and my oil is a little over half after 2,750k since last change.

da mayor 01-15-2008 10:52 AM

we're slowly getting more and more appointments... PM me if you want to maek an appointment

HARLEY G35 01-16-2008 12:19 AM

has anyone spoken with infiniti directly to find out what this new engine is that they r putting in? is it the exact same engine with the oil consumption issue resolved or what any one know

rob40wilson03 01-16-2008 02:30 AM

+1... i was wondering the saaame thing..... do they just give us the same engine again in HOPES that this one wont burn oil?

that would seem completely ridiculous to me.... but you never know

HenryLee 01-16-2008 03:11 AM

thats good..

Og_Dave 01-16-2008 03:47 AM

what is this Noise that your supposed to hear? i hear a slight "tick tick" sound but my oil is fine, is that normal?

V35 Skyline GT 01-16-2008 10:42 AM

The VQ that they're using (listed on TSB as 10102-AC7M9) is the one built in Japan. From what I've heard for over 6mo, hand built too.
Those been used since June 07 with ppl who's OC was 1qt/1000mi or worse with pre TSB replacement standard.

It's not just another factory VQ. That one was part number 10102-AC7M1 which had many failures on resolving OC and no longer is used for replacements.
The current one they're using has had very good success so far, tho I've read some of these have had OC issues as well over on my350Z's OC thread, but more successes than failures. Initial break-in may be a factor with that, but not sure. Purely my opinion about that.

Not sure on the unusual noise they mention. Mine has ticking noise too, but not all the time. Think mine starts ticking when I'm getting close to a qt low.
I've read some VQ's that are very low on oil, like only 1 or 2qts in engine, start sounding like a lawn mower in a sense.

I'll assume that the noise I just mentioned and if still there after oil level filled to F, those VQ's are thrashed and they order replacement on the spot rather than have you come back in 1000mi for level check.

lasmtang94 01-16-2008 02:11 PM

Waiting on Dealership

I went through the whole oil consumoption process last summer and burned .5 quarts of oil the first time I was back at 1000 miles. I returned 1700 miles later and was down .75 quarts. As you know back then you had to burn more than 1 qt every 1000 miles. I called Infinit consumer affairs about the TSB and told her that i had gone through the consumoption process and it was documented. I asked if i would have to go through it again and she was like no. She then called my local dealer service rep who I had been dealing with. I went to talk to him and he said he is dealing with my problem right now and I might have to go throug the process again since the measurement was not done in mm's. Give me a break if he pulls this crap im having a meeting with the manager and local rep. As i looked at it 12mm is half a quart. I burned that much at 1000 miles and the limit at 1000 is 5mm. It's not hard to just convert the quarts to mm. 12mm to 5mm is a big difference. Even again when i came back at another 1700 miles i was down .75 quarts which is still way to high. So now i play the waiting game. UGHHHHHHHHH

culi 01-16-2008 03:41 PM

Would the engine replacement be cover under powertrain warranty, which is 70K miles?

G_XXXV 01-16-2008 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by culi
Would the engine replacement be cover under powertrain warranty, which is 70K miles?

Yes, but more specifically, the TSB takes precedence for this issue.

I was just wondering whether anyone has asked their dealer for the 3.7 as the replacement engine and offered to pay the difference? Or will this mechanically not work?

V35 Skyline GT 01-16-2008 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by lasmtang94
I went through the whole oil consumoption process last summer and burned .5 quarts of oil the first time I was back at 1000 miles. I returned 1700 miles later and was down .75 quarts. As you know back then you had to burn more than 1 qt every 1000 miles. I called Infinit consumer affairs about the TSB and told her that i had gone through the consumoption process and it was documented. I asked if i would have to go through it again and she was like no. She then called my local dealer service rep who I had been dealing with. I went to talk to him and he said he is dealing with my problem right now and I might have to go throug the process again since the measurement was not done in mm's. Give me a break if he pulls this crap im having a meeting with the manager and local rep. As i looked at it 12mm is half a quart. I burned that much at 1000 miles and the limit at 1000 is 5mm. It's not hard to just convert the quarts to mm. 12mm to 5mm is a big difference. Even again when i came back at another 1700 miles i was down .75 quarts which is still way to high. So now i play the waiting game. UGHHHHHHHHH

Wow that blows. It's not like you were borderline in qualifying for replacement with the current TSB replacement standards.
G/L with that, but then again what's another 1000mi to then qualify. But I def hear what you're saying around that
+ Infiniti said not required to doing anymore testing for you, so WTH.

I just dropped off my G for some other warranty issues and ask if they would take over another dealers testing that started on mine, being it's all in writing, in their database and they viewed this morning. I'll find out today if they'll take over my OC testing where my other incompetent dealer started, due to 4 visits about my window that they couldn't fix, in fact made worse :rolleyes: If they can't fix a simple window regulator issue, then I don't want them replacing my VQ or touching my G any further.

This current dealer where my G is said it must be Dino oil for testing. I said other dealer started testing with Synth that they've used before on my previous services.
Also said the TSB states nowhere it must be Dino, only states it has to be 5w-30 and that's what's in there.
And told them I've had OC since new and that's stated as well in their database not to long after buying and shows dealer did those services back then with Dino 5w-30 so having Synth in there now shouldn't be an issue. We'll see what they say when I pick her up later today.

Originally Posted by G_XXXV

I was just wondering whether anyone has asked their dealer for the 3.7 as the replacement engine and offered to pay the difference? Or will this mechanically not work?

Think I read on the 350Z forum someone asking that, but for the VQ35HR.
It was a no, being different ECU, electronics, sensors, dual air boxes, etc. The 3.7 I'd bet be the same answer for the the same reason. That'd be nice tho, I'd pay the diff.

V35 Skyline GT 01-16-2008 09:01 PM

Synth or Dino with current TSB

Dealer who only tested with Dino on OC testing prior to our TSB just said the 5w-30 Synth I have in there is fine and no problem with TSB guidelines.
Plus they'll take over my OC monitoring where my other dealer had started it. :)

So...don't let any dealer say b/c you run Synth, you don't qualify under TSB guidelines and must use Dino to monitor consumption.
Whatever you use, just make sure it's 5w-30 ;)

sik350z 01-16-2008 09:32 PM

Bs, my car is tmu, or true milage unknown,and they will nor touch my car , even though i am burning about a qt every 500 miles. Infiniti sux, and i will never buy another nissan vehicle, And i have owned over 20 nissans.

sik350z 01-16-2008 09:34 PM

Bs, my car is tmu, or true milage unknown,and they will not touch my car , even though i am burning about a qt every 500 miles. Infiniti sux, and i will never buy another nissan vehicle, And i have owned over 20 nissans.

gspotter 01-16-2008 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Applied Vehicles:

^First page of TSB.

Why would a different transmission affect oil consumption? Seems odd to me that only M/T's are included.

Anyway, glad I have an '04. It is on H every time I check the oil.

HARLEY G35 01-17-2008 12:23 AM

i have had the transmission changed on this car ( 05 6mt sedan )
and now the engine might need replacing. Wow and i tell everybody who will listen how great my car is.
Next time i buy a a beater like my dad told me then atleast theres no expectations

V35 Skyline GT 01-17-2008 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by gspotter
Why would a different transmission affect oil consumption? Seems odd to me that only M/T's are included.

Anyway, glad I have an '04. It is on H every time I check the oil.

b/c starting in 2005 on up, only 6mt's have the 298hp rev-up VQ's while in same year on up, 5at's still only have the 280hp non rev-up VQ's.
Just like all 2003-2004 6mt and 5at's have the 280hp non rev-up's.

boknows 01-17-2008 01:50 PM

Glex25, great information you provided, thanks a lot!!

SR20DET510 01-18-2008 12:35 AM

I have had low oil on numerous occasions since buying the car new w/ 14 miles : (

First instance was at about 800 miles!

Afterwards on two or three more occasions I was told my oil was low but nothing was done. Finally at about 21000 my car was severely low on oil and sounding like a lawn mower, I was informed I was not getting oil to a part (rockers?) in my engine, thus the horrible sound and check engine light.

I have been on the oil consumption test for two thousand miles now, and on both 1000 check ups low one quart! I am about 500-600 miles away from my oil change/consumption test update, should I just ask for a replacement now?

Do you receive a new powertrain warranty on the new engine?

G35 Mass 01-18-2008 02:33 AM

I have an 03 w/ 100k that is consuming more than 1q/1000. Think they'll talk to me?

lasmtang94 01-18-2008 06:52 AM

update

So it looks like I will have to go through the oil consumption process again. My dealer says that since we didnt measure in mm's before and in quarts its not valid per the TSB. I told him that we measured how much oil we put in everytime and for 3361 we put in over a quart which is more than the limit should be. For now I am waiting on the final decision. But im driving my car all around to get to the next 1000 mile oil check and take my little ruler out and show them whats up. GIVE ME MY NEW ENGINE!!!