G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   TSB- Technical Bulletins (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins-12/)
-   -   Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins/197305-infiniti-rev-up-oil-consumption-tsb.html)

V35 Skyline GT 03-01-2010 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by diitto (Post 4917081)
Hi... My engine consumes one quart about every 2700 miles.. bob...

My original VQ consumed 1qt/2300mi. 24mm = 1qt so yours qualifies too.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...08-002cpg7.jpg

Far as the 2010 G37's and OC...not a clue. They're still using the VQ37VHR to my knowledge. 370Z's use the same engine. Biggest issue I've heard on those VQ's is the oil temp soaring when playing real hard and throwing it into limp mode. Many 370's who track experience that and are going for aftermarket oil coolers on those.

V35 Skyline GT 03-01-2010 08:44 PM

Far as the 2010 G37's and OC...not a clue. They're still using the VQ37VHR to my knowledge. 370Z's use the same engine. Biggest issue I've heard on those VQ's is the oil temp soaring when playing real hard and throwing it into limp mode. Many 370's who track experience that and install aftermarket oil coolers to keep their oil temp under control.

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust 03-01-2010 08:45 PM

too bad we can't mix honda engineering with nissan sporting intentions

*flamesuit on*

V35 Skyline GT 03-01-2010 08:48 PM

Far as the 2010 G37's and OC...not a clue. They're still using the VQ37VHR to my knowledge for 2010. 370Z's use the same engine. Biggest issue I've heard on those VQ's is the oil temp soaring when playing real hard and throwing it into limp mode. Many 370's who track experience that and install aftermarket oil coolers to keep their oil temp under control.

diitto 03-01-2010 09:27 PM

but no... mine is not 1qt=24mm

Hi... Perhaps you will recall that I posted a couple years ago that my engine has a dip stick that is TWO quarts per 24 mm... We talked about this at some length back then... You guys told me you had heard of these same TWO quarts = 24 mm dip sticks over on the 350Z forums as well... And I have had a few others (not many but a few) folks confirm that they too have a TWO quarts = 24 mm dip stick...

Note that the TSB is written in terms of mm down on (any) dipstick, not on miles/quart... In fact, I've always thought they wrote the TSB based on TWO quart = 24 mm cars... Why??? Well, consider this... On a ONE quart = 24 mm, they call it bad if you're down 8 mm (1/3 of a quart for that dipstick) at 1000-1500 miles... Let's say you're down that 1/3 of a quart at the top end of that spec, 1500 miles... That means you're getting 4500 miles/quart... I have always found it amazing that anyone would call that a BAD engine... However, that same example, when applied to my TWO quarts = 24 mm dipstick, that same example would mean I am getting half of 4500 miles/quart or 2250 miles/quart... Now that sounds more like a BAD engine, thus my reason for thinking that they were really considering the TWO quart = 24 mm engine when they wrote that TSB... Bottom line is every time I start off right at full and drive, when I get to 1500 miles I am NEVER down a full 8 mm.. I am instead usually down about 6.5 - 7 mm which for my TWO quarts = 24 mm dipstick equates to a range of 2570 - 2770 miles per quart... That's why I say mine gets about 2700 miles/quart and that also my engine does NOT qualify for replacement according to the TSB... Again, I find it astounding that Nissan is willing to replace engines that are ONE quart = 24 mm which can equate to an engine getting 4500 miles per quart... Doesn't that amaze anyone else that such an engine would be considered BAD???? I decided they likely wrote the TSB that way to keep it simple and that folks with ONE quart = 24 mm get engines replaced even though they might be getting something as good as 4500 miles/quart... Sort of amazing... But anyway, bottom line is my engine oil has NEVER been down far enough to qualify for an engine replacement... Close (6.5-7mm down) but not all the way down to 8mm at 1500 miles... And that's the toughest spec if you look at all the TSB levels... Just to clarify why my engine has so far not qualified... thanks.. bob...

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust 03-01-2010 09:35 PM

so bob, you have a magical dipstick?

diitto 03-02-2010 12:18 AM

about magic dipstick...

Well, I don't know about magical but I do know that in my 2006 G35 6MT, the L to H marks (23.8 mm, carefully measured, but let's call it 24) represents TWO quarts... When my car was brand new, the first time the oil got down to oh say about 16 mm below full, I did the 16/24 * 32 =21.3 oz) to figure out how many oz of oil to add... I added that many oz, waited a very long time to make sure the oil had all settled and noticed that the level had only gone up half the amount anticipated... I asked the service manager at my local Infiniti what it was supposed to be and he told me he thought it was ONE QUART L-H... That started the mystery... I thought I must have made some silly mistake but no... Many more measurements confirmed the same findings... Then the kicker was when I changed oil the first time... I dropped all the oil and filter, replaced the filter and then added 3 quarts to the five quart system... I let it settle and sure enough the oil rose to the L mark... Then I added a 4th quart, let it sit, measured and it was half way between L and H... Then added the 5th quart and that brought it to the top... And somewhere in this same thread way back another G owner once told me he had the same thing... All stock, new car from a dealer here in N. California in 2006 and with a dipstick/oil pan design where L to H equals TWO QUARTS, no question about it...

Clearly the majority of engines have a ONE quart L-H system but not all, not mine... And again, doesn't it strike anyone but me as strange that the TSB allows cars that are down 8 mm (1/3 of a quart for a ONE quart L-H dipstick) at 1500 miles to be considered a BAD engine??? 1/3 of a quart in 1500 miles is 4500 miles/quart... Does that sound bad to anyone???? But if you divide that in half (2250 miles/quart) which is what 8 mm (1/3 of TWO quarts) would be in my car and now you're getting down to a miles/quart that most would consider to be a problem. Might it be that they wrote the TSB with the TWO quart (L-H) engine in mind??? Based on the example I gave above it sure is hard to believe they wrote it based on the ONE quart L-H engine because if so, it means they are willing to replace engines that get 4500 miles/quart... That's pretty amazing... But yes, my engine has a dipstick where you must add TWO quarts (not one) to take the oil level from L to H... Guaranteed... bob...

SxSkyLinexS 03-02-2010 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT (Post 4919308)

Far as the 2010 G37's and OC...not a clue. They're still using the VQ37VHR to my knowledge. 370Z's use the same engine. Biggest issue I've heard on those VQ's is the oil temp soaring when playing real hard and throwing it into limp mode. Many 370's who track experience that and are going for aftermarket oil coolers on those.

thanks for chart
really big thumbs up
:biggthumpup:

saved for future uses (knock on wood)

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust 03-02-2010 12:48 AM

maybe the dealer was wrong and we all have 2 qt dipsticks, because the industry rule is usaually that 1 qt per 1000 miles is acceptable but if its 2qts it makes much more sense

diitto 03-02-2010 12:48 AM

about magic dipstick...

Well, I don't know about magical but I do know that in my 2006 G35 6MT, the L to H marks (23.8 mm, carefully measured, but let's call it 24) represents TWO quarts... When my car was brand new, the first time the oil got down to oh say about 16 mm below full, I did the 16/24 * 32 =21.3 oz) to figure out how many oz of oil to add... I added that many oz, waited a very long time to make sure the oil had all settled and noticed that the level had only gone up half the amount anticipated... I asked the service manager at my local Infiniti what it was supposed to be and he told me he thought it was ONE QUART L-H... That started the mystery... I thought I must have made some silly mistake but no... Many more measurements confirmed the same findings... Then the kicker was when I changed oil the first time... I dropped all the oil and filter, replaced the filter and then added 3 quarts to the five quart system... I let it settle and sure enough the oil rose to the L mark... Then I added a 4th quart, let it sit, measured and it was half way between L and H... Then added the 5th quart and that brought it to the top... And somewhere in this same thread way back another G owner once told me he had the same thing... All stock, new car from a dealer here in N. California in 2006 and with a dipstick/oil pan design where L to H equals TWO QUARTS, no question about it...

Clearly the majority of engines have a ONE quart L-H system but not all, not mine... And again, doesn't it strike anyone but me as strange that the TSB allows cars that are down 8 mm (1/3 of a quart for a ONE quart L-H dipstick) at 1500 miles to be considered a BAD engine??? 1/3 of a quart in 1500 miles is 4500 miles/quart... Does that sound bad to anyone???? But if you divide that in half (2250 miles/quart) which is what 8 mm (1/3 of TWO quarts) would be in my car and now you're getting down to a miles/quart that most would consider to be a problem. Might it be that they wrote the TSB with the TWO quart (L-H) engine in mind??? Based on the example I gave above it sure is hard to believe they wrote it based on the ONE quart L-H engine because if so, it means they are willing to replace engines that get 4500 miles/quart... That's pretty amazing... But yes, my engine has a dipstick where you must add TWO quarts (not one) to take the oil level from L to H... Guaranteed... bob...

diitto 03-02-2010 01:24 AM

more about TWO QUARTS L-H

Originally Posted by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust (Post 4920020)
maybe the dealer was wrong and we all have 2 qt dipsticks, because the industry rule is usaually that 1 qt per 1000 miles is acceptable but if its 2qts it makes much more sense

Nah... I've talked to a lot of folks and clearly most people truly do have a ONE QUART L-H engine... Clearly mine isn't that way and I could go dig up a post where one other G35 owner confirmed he had done the same tests I did and he also had a TWO QUART L-H engine... But those are few in number... But it is a mystery to me as to why Nissan would be willing to replace engines that are getting right at 4500 miles/quart and that's what you have if you are just down 8mm at 1500 miles and you have a ONE QUART L-H system... I can't imagine that Nissan would consider that to be a bad motor...

I once made up a theory that perhaps at some point in time or maybe at some particular engine factory, Nissan chose to modify the engine/pan arrangement such that a car's oil would not fall below the L mark until it was down a full TWO QUARTS (like in my set up)... Maybe they decided the car was still ok to run on only three quarts and that by redesigning the dipstick/pan, this engine would at least appear (marketing and all) to be better on oil consumption... You know a lot of folks are comfortable as long as they see oil on the dipstick... That's why I was stunned the first time mine got below half way (half way between L and H) but still clearly on the dipstick and above L and I discovered it was OVER ONE QUART below FULL... I was shocked and that's why I got in touch with Infiniti... I never called them back to tell them they were wrong because I had already figured out there were TWO different designs out there in the world and that most of the cars were still of the ONE QUART L-H design... So the guy I talked with gave me the right answer as far as he knew... bob...

Jairen 03-02-2010 04:42 PM

Question for you guys.

I checked my oil after the car has been sitting for a day. I'm already at 11mm low at 285 miles.

Does matter how long it has been sitting? The dealer said the ideal time is around 30-60 minutes.

Should I do my checks when at 30 minutes vice 1 day? Which is more accurate?

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust 03-02-2010 05:03 PM

11mm low at 285 miles is either from the oil not being filled to the top, checking it on a surface which isn't flat or not waiting for it to all fall back into the pan. if you were consuming oil at that rate your car would be running like crap with black smoke pouring out of it

Milk Sheikh 03-02-2010 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by diitto (Post 4920151)
Nah... I've talked to a lot of folks and clearly most people truly do have a ONE QUART L-H engine... Clearly mine isn't that way and I could go dig up a post where one other G35 owner confirmed he had done the same tests I did and he also had a TWO QUART L-H engine... But those are few in number... But it is a mystery to me as to why Nissan would be willing to replace engines that are getting right at 4500 miles/quart and that's what you have if you are just down 8mm at 1500 miles and you have a ONE QUART L-H system... I can't imagine that Nissan would consider that to be a bad motor...

I once made up a theory that perhaps at some point in time or maybe at some particular engine factory, Nissan chose to modify the engine/pan arrangement such that a car's oil would not fall below the L mark until it was down a full TWO QUARTS (like in my set up)... Maybe they decided the car was still ok to run on only three quarts and that by redesigning the dipstick/pan, this engine would at least appear (marketing and all) to be better on oil consumption... You know a lot of folks are comfortable as long as they see oil on the dipstick... That's why I was stunned the first time mine got below half way (half way between L and H) but still clearly on the dipstick and above L and I discovered it was OVER ONE QUART below FULL... I was shocked and that's why I got in touch with Infiniti... I never called them back to tell them they were wrong because I had already figured out there were TWO different designs out there in the world and that most of the cars were still of the ONE QUART L-H design... So the guy I talked with gave me the right answer as far as he knew... bob...

maybe its based on the year of the car? i doubt its random with the g35s

SxSkyLinexS 03-02-2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jairen (Post 4921699)
Question for you guys.

I checked my oil after the car has been sitting for a day. I'm already at 11mm low at 285 miles.

Does matter how long it has been sitting? The dealer said the ideal time is around 30-60 minutes.

Should I do my checks when at 30 minutes vice 1 day? Which is more accurate?

that cant be right thats ALOT of oil