TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

grinding noise when wheel turns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
grinding noise when wheel turns

I have a '03 g35 6 speed. To make a story short, I am now experiencing a grinding sound that's relative to the rotation of the wheel and tire. I can't replicate it through text however it's more of a 'shhhk shhhk shhhk' sound. so the pulses of the sound increase as the wheel rotates faster and slows down as the wheel rotates slower. Did that make any sense?

At first I thought it was the rear axle TSB because the sound is coming from the right rear wheel, but I wanted to make sure if anyone else is experiencing this problem as well. I have an appointment for next monday.

thank you in advance.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:23 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by panda007
I have a '03 g35 6 speed. To make a story short, I am now experiencing a grinding sound that's relative to the rotation of the wheel and tire. I can't replicate it through text however it's more of a 'shhhk shhhk shhhk' sound. so the pulses of the sound increase as the wheel rotates faster and slows down as the wheel rotates slower. Did that make any sense?

At first I thought it was the rear axle TSB because the sound is coming from the right rear wheel, but I wanted to make sure if anyone else is experiencing this problem as well. I have an appointment for next monday.

thank you in advance.
Sounds to me like something is binding as the steering wheel rotates, which should be an easy fix.
Let us know what the dealer finds.
G/L
C.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When was the last time you checked your brake pads?

Old 01-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Sounds to me like something is binding as the steering wheel rotates, which should be an easy fix.
Let us know what the dealer finds.
G/L
C.
not the steering wheel... the wheel and tire!

Originally Posted by andy2434
When was the last time you checked your brake pads?
the last time i checked my pads was when i was experiencing the sounds. i still have around 3/4th of a cm left which i feel pretty confident about. i use hawk hps pads by the way which i installed over a year and a half ago.

right now, i think it may be the axle bearings or maybe warped rotors. if the bearings are not the case, i'll have to upgrade my rotors.

thanks all!

Old 01-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How old are your tires? Sounds like a worn down tire more than anything. Time to get a new set if it passes the 20k mark sometimes even before that.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Yea, I agree with Andy, sounds like pads and rotors are not playing nicely together to me. It's pretty easy to tell,
jack up the offending side and spin the wheel. You can usually tell, sitting right there, where the noise is coming from.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Washington (10-23-2019)
Old 01-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
How old are your tires? Sounds like a worn down tire more than anything. Time to get a new set if it passes the 20k mark sometimes even before that.
tires are pretty damn new. i had them changed around september of 2005.

Originally Posted by binar
Yea, I agree with Andy, sounds like pads and rotors are not playing nicely together to me. It's pretty easy to tell,
jack up the offending side and spin the wheel. You can usually tell, sitting right there, where the noise is coming from.
yeah. i'll try that! seems like the sound is coming from the back, so i'll have to jack-stand both axles.

thanks for the replies, all!

Old 01-11-2006, 01:22 PM
sounds like it could be the bearings... u should really have it checked out at the dealer.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's scaring me, somehow it seems like Infiniti G35 is having lots of problems. And i just bought a new 06 coupe too. damn.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:53 AM
hey dood.. i just got the same problem.. on my 04 coupe.. this week!! im taking it to the dealer on the 20th.. to get it checked out.. wow.. how coincidental eh?? but like.. it went away tonight.. its weird.. i believe the dealer said its the axle.. but yeh.. we'll see..

Old 01-19-2006, 02:52 AM
can't believe this... my 05 is starting to grind 1st to 2nd... not everytime but about 85% or the time... when i raise my rpm up to 6000+ seems like my gears are grinding... i just put on RE short shifter and i don't think this is causing this problem.. and if i'm at 15-25mph and try to shift into 2nd i hear very quiet grinding as going into 2nd... pisses me off... i don't know if i should take my car to dealer with my RE short shifter or take em off... arrg... my car in modded with bolt-ons... do you guys think they will hassle me with this?

Old 01-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by davidchoi425
can't believe this... my 05 is starting to grind 1st to 2nd... not everytime but about 85% or the time... when i raise my rpm up to 6000+ seems like my gears are grinding... i just put on RE short shifter and i don't think this is causing this problem.. and if i'm at 15-25mph and try to shift into 2nd i hear very quiet grinding as going into 2nd... pisses me off... i don't know if i should take my car to dealer with my RE short shifter or take em off... arrg... my car in modded with bolt-ons... do you guys think they will hassle me with this?
most definitely they will hassle u... stealerships excel on stuff like that.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:32 AM
believe it or not.. i found out the source of the problem. it was due to the wheel bearing, associated with the rear axle clicks. basically, my passenger rear wheel bearing has gone loose and was grinding. a few more thousand miles and my wheel could have fallen out.

so... get your TSB's checked ASAP!

Old 03-24-2006, 12:51 AM
How did you find out? I have had this exact same problem for 6+ months, but the sound comes and goes randomly. At one point, it used to be almost constant, but for the last 3 months, it barely happens. I took it to the dealer 3 times and they couldn't recreate the problem so they wouldn't do the TSB.
How can I prove to them that it's the wheel bearings?

Old 03-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan_K
How did you find out? I have had this exact same problem for 6+ months, but the sound comes and goes randomly. At one point, it used to be almost constant, but for the last 3 months, it barely happens. I took it to the dealer 3 times and they couldn't recreate the problem so they wouldn't do the TSB.
How can I prove to them that it's the wheel bearings?

I don't think you should prove that to them. Let them properly diagnose the problem so you know what it really is. Sounds to me like you have a different issue if it is sporadic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: grinding noise when wheel turns