Cobb Tuning Access Port..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Cobb Tuning Access Port..

Seems like Cobb has finally released it's AP for the G35's. Has anyone bought one yet?

I know a number of people who have bought a AP for their Subaru's and are happy with the product.

One thing I noticed is that on Cobb's map database for the G35 there isn't a map for a 2006 G35.

Does the Access Port work for the 2006 G35's?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought one. I also noticed there are no '06 maps on their website. But right now I'm just trying to get the thing talking to my car (software glitch).

I emailed Cobb yesterday and today. Their response time and method to resolve my issues will determine if I keep it or not. We'll see.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:37 PM
i'm kind of about getting it, let know how it turns out

Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 PM
had a subie version

I had one for my Subaru. Stage one felt like running your car on a cool crisp morning. I wasn't disapointed, but not blown away either. I had the early version accessport and it was a little cheaper. I think $800 is high. Keep in mind this was on a turbo car where the map makes a bigger difference. On a NA G, I wouldn't expect much for gains. Even Cobb's graph show minimal gains until 6K rpms.

I think the stage 2 would have been a more noticable improvement for the subie. Cobb's site doesn't seem to state what stage 2 is for a G. Headers and exhaust I'd imagine. Nice torque increase is displayed on their chart though.

I don't mean to bash Cobb or the Accessport BTW. I think they are a good company and the access port is a pretty neat device. It just doesn't seem to apply to the G as well IMO.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah i'm interested in this to, however i have a 2007 6MT and there's no map for it either.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:37 AM
G_XXXV - I was under the impression that the maps COBB has out right now are only for G's with stock intakes. Have you asked them about this also?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by hareezy
G_XXXV - I was under the impression that the maps COBB has out right now are only for G's with stock intakes. Have you asked them about this also?
Yeah, I was too, but then I read it somewhere in their documentation that aftermarket intakes were OK too. Don't quote me on that...I don't recall exactly where it was. Let me see if i can locate it.

They also say the AP is for 03 to 06 coupes, but if you go to their map download page it only has 03 to 05 maps listed. Go figure...

I have heard a lot of good things about Cobb in general, especially on the Subaru side. So, I was excited to hear when they introduced a product for the G. I did not expect to encounter as many difficulties just installing the darn thing. These type of issues are typically ironed out BEFORE a product is sent to market, not after.

Trending Topics

Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 PM
yeah my friend has an sti and raves about cobb. he even got our friend with an evo to buy it.
maps only for 03 to 05, that sux, i have an 07 coupe does that mean i can't use it at all? or do i have to wait longer for the ap?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im Using It For My Single Turbo Garrett Gt35r Kit....cobb All The Way...hehe

Old 05-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
It's still less than going with a piggy-back and custom tune. I think this is a good option for many of the mildly modded G's.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by G_XXXV
Yeah, I was too, but then I read it somewhere in their documentation that aftermarket intakes were OK too. Don't quote me on that...I don't recall exactly where it was. Let me see if i can locate it.

They also say the AP is for 03 to 06 coupes, but if you go to their map download page it only has 03 to 05 maps listed. Go figure...

I have heard a lot of good things about Cobb in general, especially on the Subaru side. So, I was excited to hear when they introduced a product for the G. I did not expect to encounter as many difficulties just installing the darn thing. These type of issues are typically ironed out BEFORE a product is sent to market, not after.
sick...I'll have to look into this more as well. I was looking at it earlier but was initially turned away by the no after market intake. I liked the features on there though. Like the MPG rating and the vallet setting, the videos made it seem easy to use...I guess it's harder to install...

Old 05-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
It's still less than going with a piggy-back and custom tune. I think this is a good option for many of the mildly modded G's.
You can also have it tuned at a later time, if you want. This is a big additional benefit.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Thumbs up

Follow up on Cobb >> so far their customer service has been responsive and easy to work with. They seem to know their stuff.

Once they had my error info, the problem was solved in an hour or two.

I now have it installed with their stage 2 map, idle adjusted + 250rpm, rev limiter + 500 rpm, and global timing + 2*. The car is running smooth and strong. There is a noticable difference throughout the power band.

The real time data feature is cool too. You can monitor a lot of things like: A/F, coolant temp, IAT, fuel tank temp, engine load, MAF, throttle/accelerator position, RPM, and bunch others that I have not had time to look at yet.

I like the convenience and functionality of this device. Once the correct software was installed it has worked like a charm.

I agree with ttrank that it's a good option for mildly modified G's. Once I eventually go FI (next spring) I will go with a fully programmable unit. On a sidenote, I previously owned two S2K's and AEM/Motec were the weapons of choice. Motec is a little too pricey for what I'm looking for. Has anyone with a FI'ed G had success with AEM?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks for the info, G_XXXV. So in your testing so far, have you tracked the A/F through the powerband? Does it run rich or lean?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 AM
so do they have an 06-07 map or is the 05 map good for 05-07

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning Access Port..