Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for the info ocg35

Old 08-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sagemark
I spoke with Pulstar about this and they argued that premature failure has been rare and most likely caused by mis-gapping. They say that any engine failures were almost certainly because of some other problems, which to me sounds pretty likely... I mean why would these plugs cause engine failure??? Bad predetonation or a lean burn situation can lead to piston failure but any lean burn would be a fueling problem, not down to plugs. From what I understand, predetonation is caused by early timing, low octane fuel, or engine lugging. I just can't see how or why these plugs could lead to piston or engine failure.

I expect that some engines will fail, whether they have these plugs or not. In those which have these plugs they will be pointed at as a potential cause.

Pulse plugs are far less tested than regular plugs, they are a new technology. They will likely have problems more often than old technology. They've sold tens of thousands of sets, versus millions of regular plugs. That means current users are effectively beta testers. Pulstar intend to prove the reliability of the plugs over time and hope to have the plugs made standard, but that will take time.

Personally, I kind of doubt these plugs will cause problems, at least the vast majority of the time. The risk reward relationship however is assymetrical, you get a small benefit for taking a risk of a big loss. The probability of that loss is small in my opinion, but is unknown in reality. If there were a lot of problems they'd probably be out of business, and maybe they will be down the road, who knows.

The engine failure story in this thread is an "I have a buddy" story, and involves an engine swap. That leaves plenty of room for other tuning or fueling issues to be an actual cause.

Still, I do worry now that somehow the plugs could cause an engine failure and that the warranty could be invalidated as well, leaving an owner well and truly up the creek without a paddle.
Dude, I've been working on cars for little over 10yrs now... And, I've never seen a piston burned off like my friends prelude in my life. He maintained his prelude very well. His internal was stock... He only had bolt ons... Headers, exhaust, intake, IM, TB, w/ stock ecu. He always used NGK for awhile.. I've told him not to get those spark plugs due to the fact that they are new to the market. It actually ran very well, but one morning he gave me a call and told me that he had white smoke coming out of this exhaust... And after that, thats all she wrote... One note here... Everybody has their own opinions and ways of learning... And if you would like to try or someone is interested... They should try and experiment on what this product is capable of providing... I'm just giving my information out to people so they have understanding on what happened to my friends car... I have no reason to make up stories about this company... Never did business with them and never will.... Best Regards...

Old 08-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ there are muliple reports of these plugs causing problems... I wouldnt sweat it bro - if someone doesnt want to learn from your friend's mistake (or the others being reported) - let 'em learn the hard way.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
great thread. thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called bull**** and warned of possible damage when pulse plugs started advertising.

To those that remain pulse plug nuthuggers, grab ur ankles; u r f@cked. Muwahaha.

I'll take good ol coppers or ngk iridiums for $7 a piece over these overpriced, overhyped, and apparently unsafe pulse plugs.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ why so mean? they tested it so everyone else wouldn't have to. they took the risk and now we reap the rewards of their knowledge. at least they went and told us about it.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Is this the final verdict? I've heard good things as well as an equal amount of terrible things about them. Was about an hour away from ordering these, but am glad I used that magical search button. Is this truly consistent failure, or possibly just particular engines? If so, what performance plugs do people recommend, mine are gunked up and gotta go asap. Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:12 PM
^^^ NGK iridiums... been mentioned several times... here and on many other forums.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
^^^ NGK iridiums... been mentioned several times... here and on many other forums.
+1 - tried and true. Excellent plugs. If/when I need new plugs for my G, NGK iridium will be my choice.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Mutedshark
On my way home tonight my car suddenly started running like sh*t. The check engine light was flashing. I limped home and pulled the Pulstar Plugs out of the engine. The number five plugs electrude was burned off. All the plugs had visable heat marks on the white ceramic. I phoned my master mechanic and he told me to get rid of them and not mess around with the spark. He told me I was lucky I didn't burn a hole in a piston. I put these in 5000 miles ago. A friend of mine got 6000 out of his before he was towed in because two Pulstar plugs went. I strongly recommend getting rid of these if you have them and would not advise anyone to buy them.
Hi, I am the CEO of Enerpulse, the maker of Pulstar. I came across your post with great concern. We have tens of thousands of pulse plugs in the market with no problems and suddenly you and your friend have had some problems. First of all if it is our fault I apologize and hope you have talked to our Customer Service department to make this right for you. We stand behind our product and want make sure you are taken care of.

Sorry for your inconvenience.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:35 PM
^^^ his isn’t the only report of problems...

As a CEO you better let your admin know that you will be busy for several weeks if you intend to create an account and post damage control on al the threads - because there are several reports on more forums than this one...

BTW, I would think you would have a marketing group to handle this type of thing…

Old 08-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
BTW, I would think you would have a marketing group to handle this type of thing…
+1...

Old 09-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by dparker
Hi, I am the CEO of Enerpulse, the maker of Pulstar. I came across your post with great concern. We have tens of thousands of pulse plugs in the market with no problems and suddenly you and your friend have had some problems. First of all if it is our fault I apologize and hope you have talked to our Customer Service department to make this right for you. We stand behind our product and want make sure you are taken care of.

Sorry for your inconvenience.

Sorry but the marketing of your product alone makes me very wary of your product. Simply put if your product did what you claim, every OEM on the planet would be using your product. If something as cheap as a spark plug could make the combustion process better, it would reduce pollution, increase efficiency and pigs would grow wings. They dont, and pigs are still land based mammals. Please lets us know when you figure out the wings.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by UpRev

Sorry but the marketing of your product alone makes me very wary of your product. Simply put if your product did what you claim, every OEM on the planet would be using your product. If something as cheap as a spark plug could make the combustion process better, it would reduce pollution, increase efficiency and pigs would grow wings. They dont, and pigs are still land based mammals. Please lets us know when you figure out the wings.
Actually several OEMs are testing Pulstar this very moment. As you might imagine they take a little time.

Our claims are based on extensive dyno testing and unlike everyone in the spark plug business claiming to improve fuel economy with no specifics, we give specifics...6% average. With all those spark plug claims making the combustion process better and selling 2 billion spark plugs a year in the process, pigs not only have wings, but they must have afterburners too!

Pulse plugs are different, but my fear as CEO is that we are not doing a great job in explaining that difference. At the risk of doing my market studies in public, I wonder if you or anyone from this forum can tell me what we could do better or stop doing.

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
^why is it that your pulstar pulse plugs are causing engine failure??

is it due to improper install? or something that the pulse plugs are doing? or is it just simply a bad batch was sent out?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulstar Plugs are Junk