UTEC vs. Osiris vs. Other FI Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UTEC vs. Osiris vs. Other FI Tuning

I'm looking to go turbo on my G in the very near future and I'm looking at my engine management options. I already have my car dyno tuned on Osiris, and would be OK with sticking to that, but I haven't heard of anyone that's using it with FI.

I would love to not have to fork out $600-$1000 for a UTEC system, then pay for tuning on top of that. I'm looking to get a relatively conservative tune (a little less than 350whp) until I upgrade my transmission.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:53 PM
What? You think you will save a lot of $$ by going Osiris and also avoid tuning with it? Even with Osiris you will need a full tune, as a matter of fact there is no base map for Osiris and FI so your tuner will tune your fuel table from scratch. Depend on the turbo you are using then you will need an upgraded MAF with FI so that is another added cost. Trust me you are not saving $$ by going Osiris..

Now you have to ask yourself what is important to you, if you want perfect drivability then Osiris is your best bet but if you want extra protection for your motor and easier tuning (especially for FI and self tuner) then utec is still the man.

I have many discussion with Osiris and there are many threads in MY350Z-Tuning forum that I have posted my concern, I was also offered a great deal to try Osiris but Utec just fit my need very well so not much advantage for me if I switch, as a matter of fact I will be loosing more if I switch.

here is one thread about FI and Osiris http://my350z.com/forum/tuning/40776...ddy-404hp.html

Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
lol nonono, I don't mean to say I plan on using my current N/A maps. I mean to say, since Osiris is just a ECU flash, I don't need to buy any extra equipment. So basically, I'm just paying for tuning. With UTEC I would need to buy the equipment PLUS the tuning. That's where I'm saving money right?

As far as safety features, how will I benefit from getting UTEC over Osiris? And as far as self-tuning, I don't think I'll be stepping into that area at all.

[edit]Just read some of your posts over on the thread you linked me to. I don't plan on using meth or nitrous, but I do see some advantages of the UTEC. I don't see however, how UTEC is cheaper? Osiris Standard is $700, and includes tuning for 5 maps. UTEC is about that much, without tuning.[/edit]

Last edited by coup de grace; 03-02-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
/\ You forgot the MAF upgrade so that is about another $250 so you are down $950. For self tuner you can get utec for 500-600 and you are dont have to keep coming back to your tuner for minor re-tuning. Like I said, what is important to you, if you want extra protection then Utec will give you that but if you are not a self tuner and want to save $100-$200 but loose some of the protection I just mentioned on the thread I linked then by all means go with Osiris.

The way I see it, we want the best EMS we can afford to protect our motor right? So why go with an EMS that dont offer much protection? Like I said for some drivability is more important than extra protection.. just my .02

Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HaltechHaltechHaltechHaltechHaltechHaltechHaltechHaltechHaltechHaltechHaltechHaltech

Hope you don't stall your car out in a busy intersection with Utec.. **** doesn't start with large injectors hahahaha

Old 03-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Well in my case, I don't need to buy the Osiris Standard, I just need to pay for the retune. So I'm looking at the cost of the MAF upgrade + tuning.

I definitely see what you're getting at, I'm hoping Osiris will release some new safety features within the next few months that'll help me make my decision.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 PM
lol the OP is already trying to save money on the tuning cost and you think he can afforded a full standalone? tuning a full standalone cost more.. In pefrect world and money is no object then why not go with MOTEC then...

Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by coup de grace
Well in my case, I don't need to buy the Osiris Standard, I just need to pay for the retune. So I'm looking at the cost of the MAF upgrade + tuning.

I definitely see what you're getting at, I'm hoping Osiris will release some new safety features within the next few months that'll help me make my decision.
You still need to buy the the Osiris + Maf + tune, how can you tune your car without Osiris? Osiris is the one flashing your ECU so you need that else your tuner will just roll his thumb on the dyno... lol

Old 03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I took it to an UpRev Pro Tuner last time, they told me I just need to pay for tuning cost if I ever take the car back for a retune.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
If you alreay have the Osiris then yes you only pay for the retune. You want to ask how much is a retune coz there is more work done because your tuner will have to tune the fuel table from scratch.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Your Osiris tuner should have the capability to tune for FI. I've talked to Jared @ Uprev about tuning for a Vortech and he says they can do it no problem, and have done it. You would have to take it to your tuner though, no "mail in reflash" for FI....and for VERY good reason.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Long story short, osiris sux compared to pretty much anything but a reflash (the osiris is just a reflash).

Frankly I wouldn't trust it for FI at all, and I really wouldn't trust it for NA tuning either, but that's my take on it.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Osiris is a reasonable option for FI, if you are on a budget AND if you are located near a pro-tuner (preferably that has done it before for FI). Stock driveability using a reworked MAF! You will need an upgraded MAF and possibly a boost controller depending on your set up. The folks at UpRev, the creators of Osiris, are absolute wizards and provide great end user customer support and great support for their pro tuners.

If you can afford it, the Haltech is a great upgrade that leaves you room to grow and is much easier for most tuners to just pick up and use even if they've never tuned with it before. When it comes down to it, it's not that much more $$$ - just a drop in the bucket in the world of FI.

Good luck.

EDIT: I was going to refrain, but what the heck - the UTEC is a nice unit with solid knock control. The fact that TurboXS has abandoned the platform with no updates planned, ever, and some features never released, leaves me with a poor impression of them. I ran the UTEC for a short time. The first unit ran all my injectors on my driver's side bank wide open on start up. Nice! TXS was good about replacing it right away. Others have had issues at higher boost with the coil drivers. Nope, cannot recommend the UTEC despite its good points. Not without TXS putting any effort into it anymore...

Last edited by rcdash; 03-02-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Out of the hundreds if not thousands of Utec being sold, there are not a big % of bad unit. This go the same with injectors and fuel pump, you will have a bad batch/unit, that is why you have warranty, heck TN sold a great # of their kit with overboost problem because of the wastegate location and quality.

There is a reason why many reputable shop here still recommend them and bad unit or reliability is not the reason some shop dont recommend the Utec. There are countless of used Utec sold and if they are garbage then you should've seen influx of complain about utec going bad... Regarding Utec on high boost, Utec is not meant for high boost application because of its resolution limitation, using utec on high boost application is pushing the unit to its limit, same as pushing a small injector at 100% IDC.. not good, that is why we have standalone for high powered car... Even Nissan sell bad parts, heck, if a very small # of bad unit getting out of the market and people will stay away from those company just because of that small that small # then Nissan, BMW, Sonny, Microsoft..etc should've been out of business..

You are right about Turboxs stop all upgrade and research on the unit though, but it still work

Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Just want to point out that Osiris comes with Cipher, which is a fantastic diagnostic tool. And I hear you FI'ed G about the UTEC - don't disagree with you. I was impressed with TXS phone support. Nice folks. I had high hopes at one point for the UTEC. Even bought the UTI software. I wonder if I can gift that to someone? TXS should hire Jeff of UTI fame.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UTEC vs. Osiris vs. Other FI Tuning