Stay with Utec or go with the Osiris UpRev

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay with Utec or go with the Osiris UpRev

I currently have the Utec and I was tuned, but I ended up losing the tune on my car for some reason supposedly the stock ECU was bumping heads, so now I am running on the stock map. I have some more mods I plan on adding to my car and wondering if I should stick with the Utec and get it retuned or should I sell it and go with the Osiris UpRev.
I really just want to go with what will bring the mods together and get the most power out of it. I plan on staying N/A also.
Any suggestions???

Old 04-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Any1?

Old 04-21-2009, 01:43 AM
You know what I'll say. Your better option is to try asking on my350z.com as they are generally more a tech-forward forum.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the uprev flash and i need a utec for my FI build, I wish we could have just traded haha.

But seriously I think you'll do fine with the uprev, its a great system.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Why do you need utec for FI......Osiris supports it.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Why do you need utec for FI......Osiris supports it.
Because UMS tuning doesn't do Osiris tuning, and they are the only shop I want to tune my car, my friend Tim (ttrank) has nothing but praise for tony and his shop and he recommended them to me, Ive also met and Tony and hes a standup guy so I feel comfortable knowing my car will be in his very competent hands.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 PM
if your are NA, a reflash is the best option bc your wont have the stock ecu fighting the UTEC.

For FI, i like the UTEC well enough, but it really depends on the person tuning your car. get what they can use best.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by infinus
Because UMS tuning doesn't do Osiris tuning, and they are the only shop I want to tune my car, my friend Tim (ttrank) has nothing but praise for tony and his shop and he recommended them to me, Ive also met and Tony and hes a standup guy so I feel comfortable knowing my car will be in his very competent hands.
Xact Dyno is in AZ also and Tim can tune your car, you already have the Osiris license. Look at the complaints people have with the Utec, it doesn't matter what competent tuner you take it to you will have those same issues. The reason all (ie 100%) of our Pro Tuners have stopped selling the Utec once they have our product is because it is a better solution.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with UMS. There are issues with the Utec itself. UMS can become an Uprev Pro Tuner if they'd like.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by UpRev
Xact Dyno is in AZ also and Tim can tune your car, you already have the Osiris license. Look at the complaints people have with the Utec, it doesn't matter what competent tuner you take it to you will have those same issues. The reason all (ie 100%) of our Pro Tuners have stopped selling the Utec once they have our product is because it is a better solution.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with UMS. There are issues with the Utec itself. UMS can become an Uprev Pro Tuner if they'd like.
+1....the issues related to utec are well known and documented.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I switched from utec to uprev, huge difference! The uprev program is amazing in the hands of a good tuner.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Hmmm sounds interesting enough but I have a few reservations about going with the osiris.

Wont I need a new MAF sensor if my goal is 400 rwhp?

Has tim tuned any FI G's with osiris? All the fuel and everything has to be done from scratch right? I dont really feel like being a guinea pig.

Doesn't the stock ecu stop monitoring knock at 5000 RPM? knock control is a must for me Arizona gets very very hot (120 in the summer), and i drive my car aggressively I want to be as safe as possible.

What about overboost protection?

I can always sell the utec if I'm done, I cant sell an uprev reflash...

Also what if my local pro tuner goes out of business? then I'd have to drive out of state just to get a new tune, while there are plenty of utec tuners in az.

I can tinker with the utec if need be, I can't do that with osiris.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:46 PM
^ any updates or respones to the above?

I also live in an area where it gets very hot during the summer, so am interested in the question about knock monitoring...

right now i have a UTEC that i was planning on using for my TT build (~400rwhp) but i have been reading more about osiris and was hoping to get more info on how it handles FI apps

Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 AM
yes you need that HPX maf sensor
no idea
no knock control past 5k. tuned conservatively right it wont matter
no overboost protection and you are not reading pressure

the only FI upgrade from a UTEC is a haltech or fcon

Hmmm sounds interesting enough but I have a few reservations about going with the osiris.

Has tim tuned any FI G's with osiris? All the fuel and everything has to be done from scratch right? I dont really feel like being a guinea pig.

Doesn't the stock ecu stop monitoring knock at 5000 RPM? knock control is a must for me Arizona gets very very hot (120 in the summer), and i drive my car aggressively I want to be as safe as possible.

Also what if my local pro tuner goes out of business? then I'd have to drive out of state just to get a new tune, while there are plenty of utec tuners in az.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:57 PM

Sounds like you don't know that we have Osiris Tuner.

Osiris Tuner allows you to tinker with it. Customers remove it from their cars and sell it all the time. Overboost protection is negated because it's measuring air flow not boost. If you start running unsafe amounts of boost and don't have a boost controller, your stock ECU will do everything it can to save your car. Usually in FI we'll adjust the far end of the tune the tuner will adjust timing way down and add fuel as an "incase" situation.

Knock control is far more than just monitoring above 5000rpm. The way the stock ECU works there are other protections built in, and you're not often running constantly above 5000rpm.

You may need the HPX MAF at 400hp, but it's not rated on HP, it's rated on flow so it depends on how much flow your motor requires to hit 400hp. Above 400, we would recommend doing it anyway to be safe.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Personally, the best solution I have seen short of a haltech is a reflash with a utec on top of it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stay with Utec or go with the Osiris UpRev