Installed Hypertech Max Energy Sport Power Programmer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs up Keep it a secret

One thing I've learned from this site is, everybody has an opinion. Remember that old saying, opinions are like azz holes, everybody has one, and just like azz holes, some stink and some don't. I've been working on cars for over 20 years and I'm sure that's longer than some on this site.

When I find a mod that truly works I keep it to myself. Why, because, instead of people congratulating you on your findings everybody wants a dyno sheet but no body wants to pay or help pay for the dyno sheet (not that I need help but, if you're going to question my findings, you need pay for what ever info you want I.e. Dyno sheet). I've modded almost every car I've had my Porsche, 2 Acura Legends, 1984 Nissan Sentra (I miss that car), Honda accord and before I throw a mod on I research different products before I make my decision.

It takes me months and sometimes years to decide on my next mod. I'm not new to this, never have been, never will be and I make sure each mod will enhance my car in some way and not just for looks. One thing I don't do is buy a mod just because it cost thousands of dollars. Spending unnecessary money is not a smart thing to me.

I also find so many people on this site down so many companies but, they've never tried the product. What may not work for one person may work for another. Let's not talk about eBay. According to so many here eBay sells junk. Funny thing is every aftermarket company sells things on eBay and I guess all those Ferrari's, Lamborghini', Bentley's, Infiniti's and every other well know manufacturer are selling junk.

For example. I've had my coupe for over two years. So far I've installed an intake, exhaust, tanabe springs, and a set of 20 inch wheels and tires and every mod has enhanced my car in some way or another but, I keep my findings to myself. Why, because opinions are like azz holes and just like azz holes. Some opinions stink.

To all of those that appreciate the finds of others your info and input are appreciated. To those that don't. Well, opinions are like azz holes.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
One thing I've learned from this site is, everybody has an opinion. Remember that old saying, opinions are like azz holes, everybody has one, and just like azz holes, some stink and some don't. I've been working on cars for over 20 years and I'm sure that's longer than some on this site.

When I find a mod that truly works I keep it to myself. Why, because, instead of people congratulating you on your findings everybody wants a dyno sheet but no body wants to pay or help pay for the dyno sheet (not that I need help but, if you're going to question my findings, you need pay for what ever info you want I.e. Dyno sheet). I've modded almost every car I've had my Porsche, 2 Acura Legends, 1984 Nissan Sentra (I miss that car), Honda accord and before I throw a mod on I research different products before I make my decision.

It takes me months and sometimes years to decide on my next mod. I'm not new to this, never have been, never will be and I make sure each mod will enhance my car in some way and not just for looks. One thing I don't do is buy a mod just because it cost thousands of dollars. Spending unnecessary money is not a smart thing to me.

I also find so many people on this site down so many companies but, they've never tried the product. What may not work for one person may work for another. Let's not talk about eBay. According to so many here eBay sells junk. Funny thing is every aftermarket company sells things on eBay and I guess all those Ferrari's, Lamborghini', Bentley's, Infiniti's and every other well know manufacturer are selling junk.

For example. I've had my coupe for over two years. So far I've installed an intake, exhaust, tanabe springs, and a set of 20 inch wheels and tires and every mod has enhanced my car in some way or another but, I keep my findings to myself. Why, because opinions are like azz holes and just like azz holes. Some opinions stink.

To all of those that appreciate the finds of others your info and input are appreciated. To those that don't. Well, opinions are like azz holes.
There are no controls or inclusive data associated with most opinions, therefore the claims of such can be questionable. Those that want to see a dyno are looking for definitive information and want to see how it compares to other options available on the market. Example: Years ago I installed the UR under drive pulleys on my car and conducted a before and after dyno run on the same day, the results showed zero gains on any point of the power curve yet people on here "claim" their butt dynos noticed a difference with the same mod. My conclusion, an opinion isn't worth squat unless all the variables are given. I don't see anyone in here badmouthing Hypertech or the OP, there's just a few that are skeptical and want to see actual data vice someone's opinion.

And I agree that there's nothing wrong with Ebay when people know what they're looking for, HOWEVER, seeing crap like this in new threads doesn't help: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Race-...48ecba&vxp=mtr, http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PSI-ELECTRI...89557f&vxp=mtr.

Last edited by herrschaft; 11-30-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Thumbs up

I understand your point, but if I post a gain regarding a mod I put on my car. Unless you are going to install the same mod, what's the point. Plus you have to take in the account of where an individual lives, sea level yeah I know I'm being too technical but when you are adding mods all variables should be mentioned. For instance I live in Maryland. The air here is colder and denser at this time of year than in California so dyno results will vary.

I'm not trying to stir waters and yes eBay sells crap as well as quality products but, I know what things to stay away from. Any true modder should know that. What I'm getting at is, if you're not going to use the same mod on your car than why do you need a dyno sheet plus different countries and areas may have different climate so it's all subjective unless you were there during the dyno run and the findings affect your decision.

Example, I'm looking into buying a 6 and 4 pot brake set up. I found a D2 set up on eBay for the rear of my car for $1000. Everyone said D2 makes crap but, all those that raged on D2 , none of them used their products for themselves. Yet, when I go to D2 website I see racing porsche's and other drift cars they sponsor using their product as well as people oversees. How can you make a true assessment if you don't use or never used their product.

Me, I'm not one to rely on the word of others ESPECIALLY if you haven't used the product. That's like not voting but, you complain about the president. If you have no knowledge of the product your opinions don't count.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:33 PM
I understand your point, but if I post a gain regarding a mod I put on my car. Unless you are going to install the same mod, what's the point. Plus you have to take in the account of where an individual lives, sea level yeah I know I'm being too technical but when you are adding mods all variables should be mentioned. For instance I live in Maryland. The air here is colder and denser at this time of year than in California so dyno results will vary.

I'm not trying to stir waters and yes eBay sells crap as well as quality products but, I know what things to stay away from. Any true modder should know that. What I'm getting at is, if you're not going to use the same mod on your car than why do you need a dyno sheet plus different countries and areas may have different climate so it's all subjective unless you were there during the dyno run and the findings affect your decision.

Example, I'm looking into buying a 6 and 4 pot brake set up. I found a D2 set up on eBay for the rear of my car for $1000. Everyone said D2 makes crap but, all those that raged on D2 , none of them used their products for themselves. Yet, when I go to D2 website I see racing porsche's and other drift cars they sponsor using their product as well as people oversees. How can you make a true assessment if you don't use or never used their product.

Me, I'm not one to rely on the word of others ESPECIALLY if you haven't used the product. That's like not voting but, you complain about the president. If you have no knowledge of the product your opinions don't count.
I agree with just about everything you've said. And there's no such thing as being too technical. The more variables given the better chance people can make an educated decision, or a more logical argument.

Personally, I still feel its helpful if someone posts a dyno when available. Its a good tool for those that understand the atmospheric differences and the effects that other mods can have on the one being tested. Most dyno sheets have the type of dyno and the date and time they were conducted which is all useful information. The results will never be 100% comparable because of the reasons you mentioned but they can still be used as a reference regardless.

Speaking of locations, I definitely understand the difference between Maryland and California since I'm always comparing time slips. If we had the same DA and fuel you guys have I would probably be running mid 11's. Again, a comparison is never 100% but some people can still get an idea of what is done to a car just based on the information from a time slip.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Thumbs up

Again, I agree but, unless you are doing the same mods or something similar what good is a dyno sheet. Example, if you're building a twin turbo set up for your car and I plan to do the same, your findings are extremely valuable to me. If I plan on using a supercharger, your finding may not give me any insight to what I want to do and if I'm staying N/A findings from a TT set up are useless to me.

Dyno sheets contain valuable information but only if they apply to those running or those who plan on running similar set ups. What gets me is those people giving an opinion is only just to **** off others and their information is irrelevant to the topic or discussion.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Again, I agree but, unless you are doing the same mods or something similar what good is a dyno sheet.
Obviously comparing FI to N/A isn't going to work. Thats the beauty of N/A though, most bolt-ons react similarly. You don't have to have the same exact mods to see if something works. This thread is about a tuning option not widely used on this platform. If it truly works than it will show on a dyno, regardless of what is already done to the car. Agreed to disagree

There will always be naive people like the ones your referring to, but factual data takes care of them

Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ddpack
I installed the tune with the HyperTech with no issues other than having to find a friend with Windows XP in order to do the software update it required. Doesn't work with Windows 7 which I find curious because Windows 8 is already out. The car is definitely faster. As was said previously, the elimination of the 0-60 limiter seemed to be the most noticeable in seat of the pants driving. The car also definitely feels a little stronger overall. I power braked the car a minimal amount at a light and it snapped my head back, no small feat with a G35x. After driving one weekend, I'm pleased with my purchase. Will do a few 0-60 passes this weekend.
Running the program in xp compatability mode should work. You right click the program and go to properties. Should be a drop down menu for Windows modes

Old 11-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Dyno's mean nothing in and of themselves. They only have meaning when compared to runs made on the same dyno. What I mean is, you get a "base" run, then do the mods and run again and try to duplicate, as close as you can, the same contitions (temp, BP, RH etc) as the first run. Comparing a dyno in Colorado to one run on a different car in Florida is nonsense.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
...What I mean is, you get a "base" run, then do the mods and run again...
I figured a BEFORE and AFTER dyno run was common sense but I guess I should have spelled it out again after post #47...

Old 12-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
You did, I was just pointing out that, as you said, you can't compare runs in two cars in two different shops on two different dynos and get anything usable. You have to test both cars on the SAME dyno at the same time.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using the hypertech programmer in my 04 xsedan for the last 3 months or so and I can definitely feel an improved power difference over stock. The 0-60 restriction removal really throws you back in your seat. The only other performance mod I have is a takeda CAI intake. I've also seen a large improvement in mpg's. Stock I was getting around 17-18 mpg's combined, now I get 20-21. In my opinion this was a good investment.