Technosquare is no longer offering ECU reflashes.. Read (no options for doggy doors!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
One thing I've always found interesting is that many on this site and my350z claim you must tune for all the mods to work on these cars. While I do agree to a degree for the 04+ cars, it sure appears that the early 03 ECUs don't have much trouble adapting to mods. VQ35 Maximas and Altimas have no trouble making big gains with absolutely no tuning and sometimes all it does take is a SAFC to get the things perfect. I've never seen evidence of the ECU fighting with the mods and actually killing power. The Maxima crew is one hell of a crafty bunch. Far more crafty and experimental than the G and Z crowds. I guess that's why there are so many NA VQ35 Maximas running deep 12s compared to Gs and Zs. Intakes always seem to be the one mod that can jack things up on the Maximas and Altimas, just like the G. I guess that's why most of the quickest/fastest Maximas run slightly modded OEM airboxes.

I totally agree, this is definitely the best route. However, it's costly, time consuming, and a bit risky unless you exactly what you're doing. If you can develop a patch plug/play harness for the 03 G and Maxima/Altimas, you'll be a rich man. For most of us 03 early sedan owners, it's simply too costly to buy a used ECU, buy a patch harness, get the 04 ECU flashed by a Consult, then by the tuning software, then tune. You could be taking $1,500+. I'd rather just move on to a different car.

Lets see,
Hopefully I dont burn any MAF's in the process of this test and tune

Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Good luck. You might be running into CAN BUS problems like this maxima guy did. Although the cars are different, the issues you'd run into would probably be the same:

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...-ecu-swap.html

Well i've been working on this for a longggg time. Im finally making this thread ive been meaning to for a while I really should of from the start. This is a big deal for us 5.5 genners. I need help tho, id really like to see this fully working. So I KNOW there are some great people on here, lets see if we can make Maxima History!

Background, UpRev is the company that makes Osiris, Osiris is a program that is flashed onto a Engine Computer (ECU). Then with Osiris on a ECU you can Tune the ecu to do many different things that are not possible before. This is done through their software, and a obd2 to usb cable.

I have the Full version of Osiris, the Tuner version. That includes one flash license and all features and my own obd2 to usb cable.

Osiris Features:

Up to 5 maps on cruise control
Speed Limiter control
Rev Limiter
AFR Targets
Ignition Timing Advance
MAF transfer function
Injector Latency
Intake Temp
Minimum effective injector pulse with
idle rpm
Electronic Throttle Control to acheive WOT at all speeds
DTC Disable
Fuel Compensation
Cam Phasing
Cranking Enrichment and Ignition Advance
K Fuel Multiplier
Calculated Load vs RPM
And NATS disable IMPORTANT for ECU swapping!!!

So all in all Osiris is really like a piggyback tuner system that uses the stock ECU. Sweeeeet Right?

So how do you get osiris into the 5.5 gen max??? WELLLL the stock 5.5 gen ECU does not support osiris. ahhhh failllllllll. My plan was to completely swap out the 5.5 gen ecu and run a Newer style ecu that osiris works with.

What ECUs does Osiris work with? That would be for the most part the ecus that have the BLACK connector YES YES that infamous BLACK ECU connector that totally SHUTS THE 5.5 gen out of all tuning options. 2004 + Maxima, 2005 + Altima, All 350Z, Most G35's thats the main ones.

Here is something important. 5.5 gen maximas have Factory NARROWBAND o2 sensors, only the 2003-2004.5 350z and G35 have this also. SO these ECUs can work with factory maxima o2 sensors, IF you get a ECU that came from a car with FACTORY WIDE BAND o2 sensors which are a huge advantage when tuning with osiris. YOU WILL NEED A AFR to TUNE WITH. I'm still experimenting with Narrowband vs Wideband ECUs and which to really use. Right now i do NOT have a answer as to which is the best to use.

OK moving along. Ive got a ECU now, Now ive made a Harness that adapted my maxima ecu harness to the NEW BLACK ECU i have. Wow i wish it was that simple plug in this harness and use the new ecu and bam your tuning! Well its FAR FAR FAR FAR FROM that easy!

Differences between 5.5 ecu and Black connector ecu: The numbers is the pin location in the harness.

18 Sends Coolant Temp to gauge cluster as 0-12 volts
21 Controls the AC Relay
24 and 24 are for Cruise control LAMPS CRUISE AND SET
30 AC Cut signal
33 MIL (check engine light)
34 Tachometer output to gauge cluster
35 Cooling fan low
36 Cooling fan high
45 AC Swith signal
64 APP sensor 2 power supply 2.5v
68 Vehicle speed sensor

These are things that the Black ecu does NOT support. The Black ecu does things a little different

It sends coolant temp , cruise control, MIL, Tach, and speed sensor over CAN lines, that’s CAN High and CAN LOW.

It also does not control the AC at all. This Is done through the BCM.

The Maxima APP sensor 2 uses 2.5 volts as power supply rather than 5 volts. Why I have no idea, but the black ecu does not supply 2.5 volts to app 2. just 5 volts to app1 and app2.

So the question is using the max ecu to control those few functions and black ecu to run the motor. Is that insane? Is that too much trouble? Is it possible? It is kind of crazy to use 2 ecu’s in one car. But someone’s gotta try it!!!!

So what I done to start with was. Made a harness that used the 5.5 ecu to control only those few functions that where needed. I used the Black connector ecu to run the motor basically at that time I was using a 03 350z ecu. It worked pretty good. One main issue was Coolant temp. If I had the coolant temp sensor hooked to the maxima ecu the rad fans would work fine, and the 5.5 temp gauge would work right. BUT the car would run badly due to the black ecu not knowing engine temp. So if I hooked to the black ecu it ran good but not fans and no gauge worked. AND if I hooked to both it changed the resistance of the coolant temp sensor and it made the gauge read wrong so the fans never came on and the car ran like crap. I believe if I added a second coolant temp sensor that would be solved. One sensor for each ecu.

Well after that there was another problem, if was driving and came to a stop the car would cut off every time. Just die out, I realized it was because the black ecu did not know how fast I was going. No speed input. BAD NEWS the black ecu only receives speed input from CAN Lines from the gauge cluster. Well 5.5 max cluster does not touch CAN at all. So I got a gauge cluster that uses CAN. The one that actually fits in 5.5 max is from a SENTRA. But it’s a 4 cyl, so I don’t think the TACH will be correct but I haven’t even tested it yet. IT SHOULD work just fine from the research. Then I though maybe I can ditch the 5.5 ecu if im going to swap clusters!

So Currently this is where im at:

Sentra gauge cluster, working on a speed sensor to give speed to the gauge cluster.

Ive got a 04 maxima ECU that has factory widebands, haven’t fully hooked them up yet.

I’ll need to find a aftermarket cooling fan controller, I don’t that that will be too bad.

I need to supply APP 2 2.5 volts OR SWAP to a different Pedal Position sensor.

Need to figure out AC functions and how to do them without the 5.5 ecu.

Conclusion, ive about gave up on this, due to it’s a LOT LOT of work. Meanwhile I could of got a Haltech, made a patch harness and had it working easy. And haltech is top of the line. Thing about it is the pricetag. BUT im figuring out that for the 5.5 gen a ECU swap that allows Osiris is really not feasible, it might be worth it to just buy a haltech. I haven’t gave up yet tho! Ultimately id like to get this working without using the 5.5 ecu. I need HELP. I know this post is probably confusing and not clear. Im much better at just talking rather than getting my thoughts down on “paper”. I do believe this type of swap would be IDEAL for swapping a VQ35 into a car it didn’t come stock in. like a 4th gen 3rd gen. Then you would have full tuning , AND could disable NATS so you could use your original ignition key

Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just to note here, the early g sedan ECU does not control the same functions as the maxima one. so while the ecus are both grey connectors they really aret the same.

You early G sedan owners are actually more lucky than the 02 03 maxima owners.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I wonder if just swapping the engine wiring harness and the ECU for a early 2003 with a 2004 G35 would work?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
I wonder if just swapping the engine wiring harness and the ECU for a early 2003 with a 2004 G35 would work?
no, their are a few other things that need to be done, the most cost effective would be to buy a adapter harness that allows the existing engine harness to be used. And makes the newer ecu plug right up to it. Im currently working on a said harness.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by SurraTT
no, their are a few other things that need to be done, the most cost effective would be to buy a adapter harness that allows the existing engine harness to be used. And makes the newer ecu plug right up to it. Im currently working on a said harness.
I'll see if I can find you the pin outs...

Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
I'll see if I can find you the pin outs...
Here is a COMPLETE run down of all the pinouts images etc...

http://www.tcgmiami.com/G35/G35Drive...FF FOR G35.zip

Old 01-17-2011, 07:04 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Good luck. You might be running into CAN BUS problems like this maxima guy did. Although the cars are different, the issues you'd run into would probably be the same:

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...-ecu-swap.html
Looks like the G might run a lot of that stuff on the CAN like the newer ones though.
Also, I looked through the G's FSM and didn't see any A/C control there, so I'm guessing that's probably BCM like the newer ones.

That is a really cool thread though, I subscribed to it for updates.

I think it's pretty funny that one of the Maxima guys has a car already running off the newer ECU and is working out the kinks, meanwhile the G35 crowd can't even agree on if it's possible

Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Ok, so. After doing some digging in the FSM. It looks like the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor is a 5v system on the newer ECM and a 2.5v on the older one.
So that sensor will need to be swapped.
Hopefully, that's fairly easy.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
Ok, so. After doing some digging in the FSM. It looks like the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor is a 5v system on the newer ECM and a 2.5v on the older one.
So that sensor will need to be swapped.
Hopefully, that's fairly easy.
Precisely what I have weight against just going full standalone.

The more you dig, the more you have to buy or swap out just to get it to potentially work.

All that cash, just go with a proven route.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
? = 2B || !2B

^I just did a search of the numbers off the back of both units. Nissan uses both of them on a ton of different vehicles.
A few junkyard calls and one could likely be had pretty cheap.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help!
Do anyone have the OBD2 connector colour pin-out for a 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe?
Is Can High BLUE(pin6) and Can Low PINK(pin14)?
Are Can High and Can Low continuously transmitting data?

+""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""+
", 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ,"
",9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ,"
"================="

Old 05-26-2014, 01:38 PM
? = 2B || !2B

What exactly is it that you're trying to do???

Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD2 Data Issue

Originally Posted by NFSP G35
What exactly is it that you're trying to do???
I recently bought a Kenwood DDX8901HD and a ADS Maestro Rr
The Maestro RR suppose to do steering wheel, gauges, vehicle info and read/reset engine code
My steering wheel controls worked, but when I choose gauges they are question marks below my gauges, and above the gauges it said OBD2 DISCONTED

I call ADS tech support and they told me my CanH and CanL not sending no data and they don't think my year car(2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe MT) sends data over the CanH and CanL
mine must be using some K data stuff, but the newer ones does from 2008 up.

But a dude told me that he installed one in a G35 before and it worked.

I will get it to work