G35x ECU vs. G35 RWD ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question G35x ECU vs. G35 RWD ECU

What's the difference between the AWD ECU vs, RWD ECU? We've touched upon this subject now and then but not adequately answered IMO. Technosquare cannot flash the X ECU (unless they send it to Japan) which made me to believe that the two are different. But are they? Does anyone know for sure?

Both cars have the same engine with different drivetrains. If anything wouldn't the TCUs be different? I've searched through my ESM and there's no mention of AWD ECU vs RWD ECU. The reason I ask is because I'd like to tune my ECU based on my performance mods (Crawford v5, Stillen Catback) and I'm looking to go FI. So far the only SC'd X that I know of has the Stillen Stage 3 out of the box which needs no tuning (?), but I'd like to think that us X drivers have other options. The Utech may be the answer if you want to tune your G35x. Not sure. Any thoughts/info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 11-29-2005, 10:22 PM
*cricket*

Old 11-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha. Made you look.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:41 AM
Lip
I asked a similar question before-Why does the ECU need to go to Japan?
That one still doesn't add up for me.

I'd ping Z-Car garage, Stillen, JWT, and others if I weren't so lazy.

Just thinking on paper here-
I don't think the intake and exhaust would require a reflash-With the DBW on these cars, it'll probably just jack it up anyway-Seems like it's tough to get the map's right.
Short of advancing/retarding the timing, I'd be sketched on messing with the Throttle mapping based on past experience with DBW-And even those changes will obviously effect the way the DBW actuation works(Postive or negative)

With Forced Induction, the question is how much fuel and timing are appropriate, relative to stock. If Stillen can get away with bigger injectors, FPR and Fuel Pump, then the Mass Air meter and ECU probably adapt pretty nicely.

Another question I have is with respect to the Tranny- Assuming you go with an Charger of any type, I'm wondering if it is possible to flash the tranny with a program that would make the shifts less abrupt- Maybe not as slow as Snow mode, but somewhere in between snow and regular mode(s), in the interest of tranny preservation. (sort of like a tip chip for Audi autotragics); Or is all the same ECU?

Old 11-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Well, I called Technosquare again. Now they're looking for a test vehicle so what I was told before smells of BS. So if there are any X's out near Torance CA, do your fellow X owners a huge favor voulnteer your car.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the same thing I was told nearly a year ago.

Don't get me started on all the things that need to be addressed on the tranny side-I can think of about 6 things our "X" cars could benefit from.

Hey, Paul.....you wanna go break in and steal their consult II?

Old 12-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i called up technosquare a couple weeks ago and asked them the same questions. the guy i spoke with said if he gave my car the reflash for the rwd g there is a chance that the awd system woudn't work.

they need a test car in cali, and ive made posts for this before and havent had any takers yet. xman sadly, we are on the wrong side of the country.

if you are really interested, maybe more interested than i am then check out this site. im not sure exactly what tuning with S-AFC means but its worth a phone call if you have the money. unfortunatly at the moment im short of cash or else i would take a ride down there.
goodluck
http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/tuning.asp

Old 12-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks. Another option to check. I'll keep you all informed of what I find.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Update - I just got off the phone with Vortech. The engineer was more concerned with fitment of the duct work than tuning the ECU. He thought that it was likely that the ECUs for RWD and AWD sedan are the same. Interesting....

Old 12-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the shop i go to supercharged a 325xi wagon and saw very little gains at the wheels. just keep that in mind if you plan is really to go FI.

i myself am also thinking of going FI but i am wating to get a used 05 6speed sedan. there are just too many limitations we have w/ the awd model, esp. w/the ecu.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Powerhousefan ran a 13.2 1/4 with a Stillen Stage 2.