No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-11-2007 | 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by ON_6MT
but the car does - when the phone rings it still goes to the in call menu and the stereo switches to speakerphone

unless there is another use you were thinking of
for people with base model.

Old 09-11-2007 | 09:57 AM
Looks good, I installed mine in the trunk about six months ago. I posted here and started a war about bypassing lockouts. Anyway, I'm really impressed with the mapping on the Garmin as it shows just about every dirt road here in New Mexico when the factory Nav can't even find my house.
Just as an FYI, I placed the antenna under the rear deck (stick it up through one of the holes and put it alongside the brake light under the deck) so it is totally hidden. Works great and you don't have to use the metal plate.

Old 09-11-2007 | 02:24 PM
|
Originally Posted by NewMexicoG
Looks good, I installed mine in the trunk about six months ago. I posted here and started a war about bypassing lockouts. Anyway, I'm really impressed with the mapping on the Garmin as it shows just about every dirt road here in New Mexico when the factory Nav can't even find my house.
Just as an FYI, I placed the antenna under the rear deck (stick it up through one of the holes and put it alongside the brake light under the deck) so it is totally hidden. Works great and you don't have to use the metal plate.
I actually saw your post a while back, and it was the one that confirmed that the method would work. I didnt want to get this post banned hence why I wont post the bypass technique. I support the staff in that they're covering their end and it's their forum so thats that.

Thanks for the tip, that was the one thing i was actually unhappy about, so next weekend i will definetly revise the antenna location

I agree with you, I drove the car to work this morning and was absolutely thrilled with the interface and the quality of detail in the system, A1

Old 09-11-2007 | 02:49 PM
Very impressive. Not sure if you answered this, but can you use the touch screen or **** to select items?

Old 09-11-2007 | 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by CarFreak
Very impressive. Not sure if you answered this, but can you use the touch screen or **** to select items?
Non-navi screens are NOT touchscreen. As for use of the ****, somehow I doubt it. But my guess is that it's probably just as easy to use the remote.

Old 09-11-2007 | 06:41 PM
G35driver Addict
is this unit compatible with a touchscreen?

Old 09-11-2007 | 07:01 PM
My man, very good idea. I'm in the same boat as you and when I get the coin may end up doing exactly what you did.

Thank you!

I sent you a PM with a particular question.

Old 09-11-2007 | 08:40 PM
dude, great job on the setup.. i was thinking about just fabricating something or to get a portable gps system.. but now since i see your post.. i will take this for consideration.. thanks..

Old 09-11-2007 | 09:17 PM
That's not a PM krazzyguju and I can still see it.

Old 09-12-2007 | 08:15 AM
|
Originally Posted by izmir41500
is this unit compatible with a touchscreen?
The current unit runs by the remote control that comes with it. Initially I wasn't too happy about it but the unit is extremely intuitive to use and being an rf remote (radio freq as oppossed to an IR) it works anywhere in the car and is really convenient just to have in your hand and manipulate. Even easier than going for the stock rotary wheel/buttons, especially in a MT car.

My initial idea was to buy as second remote and the controls from a gps unit (just the rotary wheel and buttons) and hot wire the gps buttons to the second remote that would live under the dash. But after using the stock remote for a couple days I am most happy with it.

I have also seen mention that the unit is compatible with a touchscreen, but have no idea how that would work as it doesn't come with connections nor the possibility of buying a generic touchscreen overlay from garmin. Maybe it works only with certain aftermarket 7" touchscreens i.e. kenwood/pioneer, if anyone finds out please let me know as well

Old 09-24-2007 | 04:55 AM
that is sooo cool. i love it! i too, have a garmin GPS.. but i hate one thing about it is that it doesn't speak the street names.. it only tells you to turn left or right.. does yours do that too? but yea.. very nice set up!

Old 09-24-2007 | 09:15 AM
Completely jealous. I think that is probably way better than our factory Nav, it even looks good on the factory display. Very well done!

Old 09-24-2007 | 04:31 PM
wow it seems kool man ..
where u live in CAD ???
I wanna make one for my car too

Old 09-24-2007 | 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by hokiesean24
Completely jealous. I think that is probably way better than our factory Nav, it even looks good on the factory display. Very well done!
I think a lot of the aftermarket nav stuff is better than OEM... you can hack a lot of it and add features, change colors, and map upgrades are cheaper and/or more frequent.

But with that said, you can't beat the integration of an OEM setup. Touchscreen, voice commands, etc.

And remember, any car that doesn't have these jacks in the console for audio/video input requires additional money to be spent on the interface. It just so happens that this car was built mod-friendly for this particular mod...

Old 09-24-2007 | 05:26 PM
Great write up!! I'm looking into getting one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative