New ipod solution for my G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New ipod solution for my G35 Sedan

I looked FAR and wide for a solution to integrate my ipod into my 2007 G35 sedan (I have not yet taken delivery of the car, should be this thursday).

So far, there is NO solution that seems to work for me. As i also want to be able to have a media jukebox which includes movies.

I was going to use a Vantec AVOX portable harddrive to play my divx/xvid videos and then swap the cables to play my ipod. I was thinking aobut even buying the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play 2 but no matter what, it seems silly.

Coming from my crashed 300C on 22's (Crashed October 30, 2007) i had a Pioneer D3 setup which had IPOD (as well as navi, reverse cam and bluetooth), but you cannot install a deck into a g35. I sold everything this saturday.

NOW ON TO THE GOOD STUFF.

I am going to use my xbox as my media juke box as i did in my 2003 Nissan Maxima. ONly this time i am not going to use an INVERTER (DC/AC invertors suck) because it causes video and audio interference in teh car.

PARTS LIST:
1. XBOX Version 1.3 (Version 1.6 is a bitch) (modded with modchip)
2. M2-ATX DC DC converter with intelligent on/off
3. ATX PSU convertor for xbox
4. DVD Remote and dongle
5. 2 x logitech wireless controllers

SOFTWARE:
1. XBOX Media Center => the greatest media center on this planet!

I have the parts, or ordered the parts (should be here within 8 days), so i will get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

DOCUMENTATION:
1. Xbox will hook up through the vehicles auxillary input and play out of the SOW.
2. The M2-ATX powersupply will automatically do the following:
a. Upon starting the vehicle, it will power up the xbox automatically.
b. When turning off the vehicle, it will leave the xbox running for 30 seconds then automatically shutdown the xbox, and then shut down the powersupply. This is critical!!! If you pull up to the gas station and turn off the car, this allow the xbox to remain on, until you turn the ignition to accessory, which will allow the xbox to continue on.
3. The M2-ATX powersupply will remain powering the xbox EVEN when the engine is running, so the xbox is uninterrupted.
4. When the xbox is powered on, a script under the xbox media center will allow the xbox to AUTOMATICALLY play the last song/movie playing.
5. The xbox will be located on the rear floor behind the console (i may even move it to the trunk, depending on my install).
6. The DVD remote IR eye will be mounted on the front dash, and ALL xbox functions will be accessible through the dvd remote.

WHAT CAN THE XBOX DO THAT ALL OTHER SOLUTIONS CANNOT!!
1. Play mp3s while showing a slide show of photos
2. Plays ALL video formats including divx and xvid
3. Plays DVD's via DVD ROM
4. Plays xbox games (stored on the harddrive!!!)
5. Plays emulators (including super nintendo, NES, sega genesis, etc)
6. LARGE storage capacity, i have a 160gig harddrive, but you can use up to 500gigs.

I will keep you guys posted. This setup is not new to me as i had it on my 2003 Nissan Maxima as shown here

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/568958/9

THERE is a way to control the xbox via the steeering wheel, as i have the PAC SWI-X controller from my maxima, but i think using the xbox remote for now should suffice.

EVENTUALLY, if the xbox solution will not suit my needs, i am going with a full blown in car pc setup.

For the PC setup, i will move the factory screen to where the roof sunglass holder is at, and then install a 7" VGA touch screen in the factory LCD location. I have seen it on MP3car.com in an FX35, and it doesnt look too difficult to do. This will provide me the additional features over the xbox:

1. In car navigation using a USB gps dongle
2. Tap into my 3g/hspda cellphone ( have a 1gig data plan) so i can surf the net, msn, or anything on the internet
3. Allow for wireless sync option with my home network

Old 11-12-2007, 08:04 AM
isn't there a few nissan parts you can buy that will allow you to integrate your ipod to an 07 G35, I saw a thread a while back. It was a little know fact.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by KDG35
isn't there a few nissan parts you can buy that will allow you to integrate your ipod to an 07 G35, I saw a thread a while back. It was a little know fact.
I saw this, but it seems like a serious band aid fix. There is no control through steering wheel, and navigation for the ipod is somewhat limited.

And plus for $300-400, the xbox solution comes in much cheaper and does so much more!!

Plus i can sell my ipod and get back another $200.!!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
Xbox 360? or Just 1st gen Xbox?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
NUCLEI-G
probably the regular xbox. I have not seen the final hack for Xb0x360. If it is xbox360 I would be very happy.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 PM
dude sounds awesome! I can't wait!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by CoppellStereo
dude sounds awesome! I can't wait!
I cant wait until i take delivery of my G so i can get my incar xbox system installed.

Honestly, i loved having it in my maxima!! it was way too sweet!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:30 PM
So are you suggesting that the a/v inputs work while the car is in motion?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by gspot35
So are you suggesting that the a/v inputs work while the car is in motion?

Let me put it this way, there was a BIG reason why i OPTED not to get navigation!! A very big big reason!!! *wink* *wink*

Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 PM
You weren't watching videos in your 300C were you?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by gspot35
You weren't watching videos in your 300C were you?
At the time no!!!!

BTW!!! GREAT NEWS!!

Progress:
1. Just reinstalled XBOX MEDIA CENTER version 11/04/07 and omg its amazing!!! SEVERAL THINGS:
- AUTO RESUME!!! when you turn off the car, and the xbox shuts down, and you power up it resumes automatically!!
http://xboxmediacenter.com/forum/sho...ght=car&page=7

- NEW LIBRARY DATABASE - This allows you to control it JSUT LIKE AN IPOD!! genre/artist, top 100, powerful search engine, and party mode!! its infact better than the ipod!! onscreen keyboard available as well.. THis doesnt just work with music, but also videos...

- AUTOMATIC SCREEN SAVER!! - while music, it automatically kicks in screensaver with very appetizing visuals (or photos if you desire)

- Playlists -both smart and regular, plus you can web interface into the xbox!!

RIGHT NOW, i am taking delivery of my car on thursday evening. I already called to make an appointment to get a remote starter alarm and tint. I cant wait to start this project!

One thing, stupid recall on the intelli key means i cant get the remote starter installed until after i get the new key!! DAMN IT>

Old 11-13-2007, 11:47 PM
ANOTHER SWEET TOUCH!!!

The xbox recognizes my 4gig flash drive!! so i can add more songs to the xbox withouth removing the xbox!!!

And finally - TV IN THE CAR...

I currently run Knoppmyth (or Mythbuntu) as my linux based tv video recorder ..

Its the most advanced tv pvr system in the world!! including web access and everything. Best of all, its free!!! What will happen, is during the week, it wil record all my favorite tv shows: southpark, house, hereos, etc, and record it and then AUTO COMPRESS to divx. At the end of the week i can do one of the following:

1. Bring the xbox in, and copy via network cable.
2. Dump a few episodes on to the USB drive and copy it to XBOX HD
3. Get a wireless bridge and download while in the car wirelessly (alhtough this is EXTREMELY SLOW).

The other alternaive is to enable a network attached storage (separate harddrive) so i can conveniently carry it into the house!

Old 01-13-2008, 05:21 PM
ckp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this thread seems promising keep up the good work!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:29 PM
HI... just to update, i went wtih a different solution.

This is only temporary, until i get my 0gauge wire installed.

THere is INSANE noise coming from the 12volt outlet in the console, i can hear the harddrive clicking away. See my new thread..!!