Do I need an adapter for this Boyo camera?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Do I need an adapter for this Boyo camera?

I just bought this Boyo back-up camera...

Amazon Amazon

Will I need an rca adapter or does everything I need come with the camera? It's for my 07 G35 sedan.

Thanks and if I need an adapter ...do you have a link? Thanks!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Item on BOYO (vision tech) website does not show it with RCA video. Not sure how you will hook this up. It looks like you are correct in thinking you will need an adapter for this.
http://www.visiontechamerica.com/pro...ra/vtl351.html
http://www.visiontechamerica.com/pro...tl351specs.pdf

EDIT:
Perhaps this is what you need: http://www.discountautoelectronics.c...ter-cable.html

Be sure to give us your review after you hook it up. How good is the image and how difficult to hook it up.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 12-15-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I wonder if I'll also need this...

http://www.discountautoelectronics.c...ion-cable.html

A guy put this in and wrote a review but he didn't say what else he needed to do the install. I'll let yall know once it's in. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by jmed999
I wonder if I'll also need this...

http://www.discountautoelectronics.c...ion-cable.html

A guy put this in and wrote a review but he didn't say what else he needed to do the install. I'll let yall know once it's in. Thanks!
I think you will need it if you want to reach all the way to the armrest.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
The discountautoelectronics link has the extension cord and rca adapter as being included in the VTL351.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have this exact camera (works great, BTW) and although I had it installed, my installer used only what was in the box (meaning, you don't need an RCA adapter).

Old 12-15-2009, 04:59 PM
I have this setup also. The Boyo comes with everything you need (loooong video rca and another cable (red and black) that supplies power to the camera.

I went the extra step and instead of plugging it into the armrest inputs, I bought a video interface module that integrates into the factory screen (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1267).

What this does is it allows you to plug in a camera (boyo) and have it switch it on when you go in reverse and change the input on your lcd screen to the camera, just like a factory camera would. This video interface is pretty simple to install has it uses a harness that goes inline on your factory wiring, behind the screen. No cutting of wires....though you will need to tap some wires for power and the reverse wires also if you want it to switch over when you're in reverse.

Again...this is "above" standard installation. The easiest installation is to buy the camera and plug it into the armrest inputs. You would have to push the AUX button on your console to switch it over. You will also need to find a power source.....i'd recommend tapping the reverse lights power from the trunk or tap in behind the radio's reverse wire (better). This ensures the camera doesn't stay on all the time, only when in reverse, or however you intend.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM
thanks for the information! I think I might try that with the interface module. Do I still need to do this video bypass mod I keep hearing about (but don't know what it involves)? Or will the interface module force video to the screen as soon as the car is powered on (and activation is rigged with reverse).

Originally Posted by superfly320
I went the extra step and instead of plugging it into the armrest inputs, I bought a video interface module that integrates into the factory screen (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1267).

What this does is it allows you to plug in a camera (boyo) and have it switch it on when you go in reverse and change the input on your lcd screen to the camera, just like a factory camera would. This video interface is pretty simple to install has it uses a harness that goes inline on your factory wiring, behind the screen. No cutting of wires....though you will need to tap some wires for power and the reverse wires also if you want it to switch over when you're in reverse.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:31 PM
It's up to you to do the bypass. Since everything is going to be pulled apart (radio/lcd), it makes it alot easier. I did everything at the same time. It's not necessary to make the reverse camera work...unless you use the AUX and are driving...I assume.

The video interface works independantly, so whatever you have plugged into it will show on the screen, regardless, depending on how you wire it. The interface can accommodate 2 video inputs. I've seen others do the backup camera on one and use the Garmin N-sumthin (N32?) unit that will allow you to have a navi display on your lcd. You can control the navigation using the supplied remote. You would just use a rocker switch (supplied with video interface module) to switch from the "standard" display and the "non-standard" display.

It all kinda makes better sense when you have everything in front of you. Also, the shop manual makes it a whole lot easier when finding the wires to tap. I believe they are still floating around on the boards somewhere.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 PM
thanks superfly!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:15 PM
I have that video module, rear view camera, and gps installed and didn't need to do the bypass mod