Installed E Coastal Tech Backup Cam with PAC VCI-NIS2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
hey kendroz, sorry for the delay, i was away this weekend but ill look into your issue tonight.
Any news??

The power to the camera and the pac are connected to the same source (pin 104 Grey) and all the negatives go to ground.

Do I need another source for the PAC?

Thanks

KD

Old 08-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by kendroz
Any news??

The power to the camera and the pac are connected to the same source (pin 104 Grey) and all the negatives go to ground.

Do I need another source for the PAC?

Thanks

KD
dude im sorry i completely lost track of this. i forgot to check where i have my pack hooked up last weekend but i think the issue is that the PAC loses setting whenever you turn off the car so maybe it's better to hook it up to a constant power source (i think that's the yellow wire) as opposed to the ignition power, which is only on when the car is running. i'll look at the shop manual this morning and report back but this also depends on how much power the unit draws because you don't want to drain the battery with the car off.

i should perform a test too because ive actually never *really* checked if my brightness goes back to default when i re-start the car....

Old 08-19-2010, 09:25 AM
ok so it's either pin 7 (ACC power supply) or 19 (battery power) but i'm not sure which i have the PAC hooked up to. i have to remove the radio this weekend to tie down the USB cable and stuff behind it so ill look. my think is though that since the ACC power is dead when the car is off that the PAC loses all it's settings (well really just brightness) so i think think that pin 19 is the way to go but i don't know if you left your car sitting for like 2-3 days if it would drain the battery. it really shouldn't but i dunno. ill report back this weekend.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 PM
kendroz - im sorry i took so long to look at this. i checky my unit today and it does not forget brightness settings when power is taken off. it is connected to the ACC power (pin 7 i think it is). it seems odd you're having that issue.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 PM
kendroz - im sorry i took so long to look at this. i checky my unit today and it does not forget brightness settings when power is taken off. it is connected to the ACC power (pin 7 i think it is). it seems odd you're having that issue.
Thanks Remmy.
Pin 7 is in the m106 connector?
Mine is connected in Pin 105 (reverse) in connector M85.
Please let me know

Thanks a lot

Old 09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
you are correct about this, the blue wire is your 12V reverse signal and i got that on pin 105, but the red wire going to the VCI box needs power from a wire that is on whenever the car is on. for this i went to the main harness on the stereo (M81) and used pin 7 (ACC power). it should be a purple wire per the shop manual. it's a 20 pin connector for the stereo power and sound signals.

you don't have the white wires connected, correct?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 AM
you are correct about this, the blue wire is your 12V reverse signal and i got that on pin 105, but the red wire going to the VCI box needs power from a wire that is on whenever the car is on. for this i went to the main harness on the stereo (M81) and used pin 7 (ACC power). it should be a purple wire per the shop manual. it's a 20 pin connector for the stereo power and sound signals.

you don't have the white wires connected, correct?
Yes! white ones are not connected.
Both of my power cables are connected to reverse signal so I must separate the power to the pac.

Is the clock power constant?

Thanks a lot, it seems I found my error.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM
um, yes clock power is constant so you could use that but i'm not sure how much the unit will drain your battery if its always on, so i would actually use the ACC power pin that i mentioned above, i've never had an issue with it.

hopefully this is actually the problem.

i've been thinking about disassembling my PAC unit because i want to upgrade the relay inside. i think there is a significant quality loss through the relay because you're trying to drive a millivolt signal through it....maybe this weekend....

Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
just a side note on installations, i've moved to almost exclusively using posi-tap connectors for these installations because i plan on trading the car in at the 3-4 year mark and i want to be able to remove this stuff. they're a little pricey but i highly recommend them....

Posi-products

the link is on the left and says "posi-tap". they're removable and don't damage the wires much.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny, the description for the PAC unit states " Great for customers with that keep backing into lower vehicles or small children". Barring the bad grammar, what do they mean by 'keep backing into'?!? (LOL)

Old 09-25-2010, 08:33 AM
heh heh, yeah dude when i bought it off the website i thought that was hilarious!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Anyone know the color of the reverse wire behind the dash to connect to the 920bt headunit. I have the camera connected in the trunk to reverse wire/ground and I can see it on AV2 on my headunit but it requires a additional reverse wire on the deck as well to trigger the video. I really could use the help if anyone knows so I dont have to run another wire from the rear to the front.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:50 PM
bryant, its a blue wire on pin 105 of the harness i mentioned in my previous post. if you don't have it i highly recommend grabbing a copy of the shop manual off the site here.

you can also grab it off the shifter but i personally recommend taking it from behind the headunit.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Is there a web link for the shop manual?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:22 PM
here ya go, this should cover the 07-08 models.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2008/

the info you're looking for is in the AV section, page 59. that will show you the shape and location of the harness you are looking for. pin 105 is the reverse wire.

cheers!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed E Coastal Tech Backup Cam with PAC VCI-NIS2