Streaming Music via Bluetooth Option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So, the cassette adapter is WORSE than the FM transmitter? That seems odd. My aftermarket XM radio manual says that the best connection, outside of hard wiring the radio, is the cassette adapter. Better than using the FM.

Stupid question, but is your cassette player working OK? I doubt it gets much use, but still. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if I plug the cassette adapter directly into the Ipod or whatever is playing music, it sounds great. Probably the best sound, even better than AUX in other cars I've heard... but for some reason, when used with the Blackberry Gateway, it sounds like pure crap...

yeah, if not ill post this elsewhere where more people are likely to see it... I just realized the forum this thread is in, and doubt most people looking have to worry about my issue =P

Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This would have been ideal but no A2DP so no stereo BT audio. I don't suppose it's possible for you to hardwire an AUX port to your radio.

Last edited by dohturdima; 11-11-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:45 PM
I don't really know anything about doing that. I use my SAT so im not sure where i'd wire it into.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Mrpeeng
You can get something to convert AV to Ipod connection /w a ground and power cable.

and then use that piece in my first post to get the same outcome.
I apologize if this is a really dumb question, but where do you get the power supply from? What did you hook that up to, and where did you put the ground wire? I unfortunately wasnt paying that much attention when i bought my last cable and it didnt have the power or ground wires

Old 11-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All,

I just read about this on Engadget and thought it would help a lot of people out. New Potato Technologies came out with a streaming bluetooth adapter that is the size of a typical cigarette lighter plug. It is able to re-broadcast the streaming BT audio via FM or, even better, has a 3.5mm audio out on it.

This thing is tiny enough that it looks like it could fit in the armrest. So you'd plug this thing into the 12v power in the armrest and then have a short 3.5mm to RCA to send the audio out via crystal clear audio path.

It even has a USB port on it for charging! Pretty damn awesome.

http://www.newpotatotech.com/TUNELIN...link_auto.html

Last edited by jcrayamsterdam; 11-23-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added image
Old 11-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's the absolute best option that I've seen thus far. Makes you wonder why no one put the bluetooth INSIDE the cigarette lighter - seem like there's more than enough real estate.

Nice find.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by jcrayamsterdam
Hi All,

I just read about this on Engadget and thought it would help a lot of people out. New Potato Technologies came out with a streaming bluetooth adapter that is the size of a typical cigarette lighter plug. It is able to re-broadcast the streaming BT audio via FM or, even better, has a 3.5mm audio out on it.

This thing is tiny enough that it looks like it could fit in the armrest. So you'd plug this thing into the 12v power in the armrest and then have a short 3.5mm to RCA to send the audio out via crystal clear audio path.

It even has a USB port on it for charging! Pretty damn awesome.

http://www.newpotatotech.com/TUNELIN...link_auto.html

Anyone have experience with this? This definitely seems like the easiest way to have bluetooth audio added without replacing the head unit.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had experience with it. The best option for me is the Parrot MK91xx. I don't want to always be in Aux mode to listen to a Bluetooth stream (or phone call). That is the only Achilles heel that I've detected for this product.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Another solution.

I just installed a Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway in my '04 Quest last weekend and it works well enough that I'm going to do the same thing in my G.

Cost of the device is $40 vs. $100 for the Tunelink.

Don't worry about the Blackberry name, as long as you have A2DP, it will stream audio through the RCA jacks in your center console.

Here's a link:

http://www.cellularboys.com/RIM-MUSI...&category=3128

Just a quick note, this won't allow you to take calls over the stereo. It will just mute output so you can p/u. Don't know how this will function with the G's btooth unit, but I will update when I get it installed.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 PM
G35 Sedan RWD
Originally Posted by yidster
I just installed a Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway in my '04 Quest last weekend and it works well enough that I'm going to do the same thing in my G.

Cost of the device is $40 vs. $100 for the Tunelink.

Don't worry about the Blackberry name, as long as you have A2DP, it will stream audio through the RCA jacks in your center console.

Here's a link:

http://www.cellularboys.com/RIM-MUSI...&category=3128

Just a quick note, this won't allow you to take calls over the stereo. It will just mute output so you can p/u. Don't know how this will function with the G's btooth unit, but I will update when I get it installed.
Any update on what happens if a call comes in, iPhone is connected with Tunelink but also previously paired with navigation B/T?

Old 02-03-2011, 03:01 AM
I had an opportunity to setup the gateway and test it on Monday. The gateway is plugged into teh power port in the center console and the signal cable is plugged into the RCA jacks. I just set the car's input to Aux and I'm good to go.
Streaming music with the gateway works well. Unfortunately, there is only volume control through the G. Cueing tracks has to be done with your device.

I haven't taken a call with it though. I would image your phone has to be able to handle multiple bluetooth devices. (1 for A2DP streaming and 1 for headset) I'll try to test it this weekend. (The car isn't my daily driver)

Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by yidster
I had an opportunity to setup the gateway and test it on Monday. The gateway is plugged into teh power port in the center console and the signal cable is plugged into the RCA jacks. I just set the car's input to Aux and I'm good to go.
Streaming music with the gateway works well. Unfortunately, there is only volume control through the G. Cueing tracks has to be done with your device.

I haven't taken a call with it though. I would image your phone has to be able to handle multiple bluetooth devices. (1 for A2DP streaming and 1 for headset) I'll try to test it this weekend. (The car isn't my daily driver)
I actually have my Samsung Epic GPS (Google navigation - don't have NAV) stream through Blackberry Stereo Gateway while simultaneously streaming music. It interrupts music stream to give you the directions and would interrupt both if a call comes in (will automatically switch to my BT headset).

Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM
i've been trying to find the sprint anycom fipo device or something similar to it in a physical store but haven't had much luck.. i see some units on ebay but i wanted to test one out in person before buying it online. amazon has stopped carrying it for a while it seems.

are there any other adapters that plug into the ipod port and stream via bluetooth so that i can control my iphone through the steering wheel and control wheel?

Old 02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Mrpeeng
In case anyone wants the option of streaming music via bluetooth, below is an option i've been using.

Over the past few months I was looking for a way to stream music from my phone (Droid) to my 08G. I purchased a few items that used the AV connection but it never sounded great and always needed some kind of ground to rid the static. Recently I came across the device below. It uses the Ipod connection to both power and add steaming ability via bluetooth. I got it in the mail yesterday and it works flawlessly. It automatically starts up and you can have your phone setup to either auto connect or manually connect when needed.

The only downside is if you already have an ipod connected, you'll lose that connection. I've thought about converting the AV inputs into an ipod connection but it wouldn't charge the device.

What a great find! Thanks for the heads up on this product. I have an ipod AV cable conversion on my 07 G35S sedan and this should do the trick. May also work home stereo ipod dock connections as well. BTW, can no longer find this on Amazon, Buy.com or Newegg, but did find it on eBay.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Streaming Music via Bluetooth Option