Replacing stock headunit with a bose/nav headunit? 07G35X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Replacing stock headunit with a bose/nav headunit? 07G35X

Hi Guys,

I've had my bone-stock 07 G35X for 4 months now and I'm wishing I'd bought one with the Bose system, especially since there's no aftermarket double-din kit for our V36's yet. So, someone is selling an 07 bose + nav system salvaged from his wreck for about 650, and it includes the center console section and screen, but not the amp. I figure the amp's not a big deal, but I checked with my local dealer's parts guy on what else I might need to install this, and he told me that he gets asked this 4-5X a day and that it would cost thousands, and require replacing the wiring harness behind the entire width of the dash (all the way across) and possibly some dash trim, and that it would be VERY difficult and VERY expensive.

I'm also wondering if I'd have to rewire all of the speakers to go to an amp in the trunk (Bose style) vs. running to the stock headunit location.

Can anyone with more knowledge of this chime in? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere... my search didn't turn up much. Hit me over the head if I'm talking crazy here.

Thanks guys!!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
unfortunately this is quite nearly correct. nissan did not make the harnesses plug & play friendly. you will have to replace the harness to use that stereo (or just re-wire it, which is still labor intensive) and run new wires for the amp (you could use the existing door wiring but you would still need to run new wires from the stereo to the amp and back up to the stereo to mate up to the existing speaker wires) so to do it right would require a fair amount of labor. for the nav you need to install the yaw sensor in the steering wheel as well as the gps antenna (which i thought goes in the dash but i can't recall right now) so sadly it's not that easy. and if you want the backup camera to work there's still the brain for the camera, etc.

if you really want a stereo upgrade some of the acura guys with late model TLs have installed secondary stereos below the stock unit for better sound but it keeps the stock LCD. this might be worth considering in your case. maybe your guy could fab you up a nice looking mount where the ashtray is. you could use that to install a flip up LCD or something if you were interested.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would be a lot better off going with aftermarket gear and getting a good shop to handle it. Not near as complicated and would sound much better with even decent speakers. Just run everything off a multichannel processor like a Rockford 3Sixty, JL cleansweep or similar. Then I would say find a nice 5ch Amp, a set of components for the front, coaxials for the rear, and a small 10 in the trunk and you wouldn't think twice about the bose system. You could even go all stealth and do maybe a infinite baffle sub like stock, and hide the amp somewhere. That wouldn't be too cheap either, but it would sound much better.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks guys- I was tempted but I appreciate you saving me from a costly mistake.