Aux input is making a consistent tapping noise (driver side)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux input is making a consistent tapping noise (driver side)

Hi guys, I just purchased a 2007 G35s sedan last night to replace my E30 as a commuter and I am in love with it. However when I select the AUX mode on my nav it is met with a tapping sound running through the driver side speakers. When I choose am/fm mode or any other mode the noise doesn't appear and audio is perfect. The tapping sound is consistent almost ever half a second and correlates to volume if I turn the volume up tapping noise increases and vise versa. When I change the balance of audio to the passenger side the tapping noise goes away. I dissembled panels from the glove box all the way to removing the navigation disconnecting the connectors along the way with the car ON to see if it made the difference the sound still persists.

I was hoping to get the Bluetooth ad2p rca adapters so I can bypass using the aux mode but from my understanding it uses the same channel.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? I am new to the g35 platform and was hoping someone can lend some advice.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by ben550; 10-20-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I have a first gen and don't know anything about 2nd gen's user interface but..... I get the same kind of constant frequency (~2Hz) tapping sound through my bluetooth FM transmitter only if I have the fuel info up on the screen. It's like whatever the car is doing to continually update the screen is coupling into the bluetooth or the FM transmission. If I turn off the fuel info, it goes away. Maybe you have something coupling in on your aux wires. If you have some function running that you can turn off, maybe you'll stop the interference or at least know where it comes from. Reroute your aux cable if you have access or try a higher quality external cable if you're using a cheap one.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:32 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Does it do this with NOTHING plugged into the aux? It definitely sounds like some kind of interference but shouldn't happen with nothing plugged in?

If it only does it with a device plugged into the aux are you ALSO plugged into the vehicle to charge this device, if so you can remedy this sometimes by putting a magnetic choke clamp onto the wire, other times it just requires a better ground from the 12v socket since the factory one is pretty poor.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Does it do this with NOTHING plugged into the aux? It definitely sounds like some kind of interference but shouldn't happen with nothing plugged in?

If it only does it with a device plugged into the aux are you ALSO plugged into the vehicle to charge this device, if so you can remedy this sometimes by putting a magnetic choke clamp onto the wire, other times it just requires a better ground from the 12v socket since the factory one is pretty poor.
Thanks for responding. Nothing is plugged in when the sound appears, and when I do plug in the RCA cables sound is still there. I'm still learning about this which ground are you referring too?

Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by jbarnett250
I have a first gen and don't know anything about 2nd gen's user interface but..... I get the same kind of constant frequency (~2Hz) tapping sound through my bluetooth FM transmitter only if I have the fuel info up on the screen. It's like whatever the car is doing to continually update the screen is coupling into the bluetooth or the FM transmission. If I turn off the fuel info, it goes away. Maybe you have something coupling in on your aux wires. If you have some function running that you can turn off, maybe you'll stop the interference or at least know where it comes from. Reroute your aux cable if you have access or try a higher quality external cable if you're using a cheap one.
Haven't tried that yet, I'll definitely play with the functions tonight. What do you mean when you say reroute the aux cable? Bypass the RCA inputs in the glove box?

Old 10-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ben550
Haven't tried that yet, I'll definitely play with the functions tonight. What do you mean when you say reroute the aux cable? Bypass the RCA inputs in the glove box?
I didn't know if the 2nd gen had the aux input as oem or if it was aftermarket. If aftermarket, the cable routing from the glove box to the head unit might run right by some source of interference that can couple into the wires even though I can't think of any that would cause the noise you describe. I wouldn't expect that if oem. But you can just move the wires around to the degree that you can and see if it has an impact on the noise. The cable quality matters here too.

If the noise happens without a source plugged in, the external cable (from your ipod/phone/etc. to the aux jack) quality is not the issue.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:50 PM
So I traced it back and isolated the source of the noise. The factory Bose amp. When I unplug the connector of the Bose amp the sound stops. Ive unplugged almost everything in the car having to do with audio and that was the only connection that stopped the tapping sound. Can it be that I have a bad amp?

Old 10-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Old 10-24-2017, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by ben550
Hi guys, I just purchased a 2007 G35s sedan last night to replace my E30 as a commuter and I am in love with it. However when I select the AUX mode on my nav it is met with a tapping sound running through the driver side speakers. When I choose am/fm mode or any other mode the noise doesn't appear and audio is perfect. The tapping sound is consistent almost ever half a second and correlates to volume if I turn the volume up tapping noise increases and vise versa. When I change the balance of audio to the passenger side the tapping noise goes away. I dissembled panels from the glove box all the way to removing the navigation disconnecting the connectors along the way with the car ON to see if it made the difference the sound still persists.

I was hoping to get the Bluetooth ad2p rca adapters so I can bypass using the aux mode but from my understanding it uses the same channel.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? I am new to the g35 platform and was hoping someone can lend some advice.

Thanks!!!
Enter the diagnostic mode as outlined in the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu...7_G35_Sedan/av

Telcoman

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.