Will this sub setup work ok?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35X
Will this sub setup work?

I have a 2008 G35x with Bose and no nav and I want to put a sub and amp in. I have already run a 4 gauge power cable from the battery and ordered a JL CL-RLC. From my research it looks like most are tapping into the rear speaker signal before the Bose amp (Harness B41 pins 23 to 26) and splicing in twisted RCA's. Looks like amp remote can be spliced into at pin 20 on the B41 harness as well or maybe pin 22 would be better if I'm disconnecting the stock Bose sub anyways.

I plan on plugging the RCA's into the CL-RLC which will convert the balanced signal into one that will work with the Alpine MRX-M100 amp I am getting from a buddy.

Does this all make sense and sound like it would work? I am still waiting on the CL-RLC and haven't bought the sub (Alpine Type R 12") and amp yet.

I am also wondering if running a full range signal into the amp will do any damage if I have the LPF set properly.

Just going to toss a box in the trunk for now but does anybody know where to get the stealthy side fiberglass enclosures like 4080, Boxology, ect. that were popular years ago? I can't seem to find anybody selling them anymore.

Thanks!

Last edited by Eric Marciniak; 11-05-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:01 AM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
When I install an amp to a stock stereo I just order a amp kit from knuconcepts
run the power wire to the back and the bass **** wire at the same time..

grab the signal for the hlc from the rear speakers ..
plug the power
A solid ground
the remote cable from the hlc
rcas
and ****
super easy

hardest part is running the power wire and hiding the wires

Old 10-31-2018, 12:09 AM
G35X
Originally Posted by Edgarc6789
grab the signal for the hlc from the rear speakers ..
Are you getting the rear speaker signal before or after the amp? And I take it you are talking about a line-out converter? Trying to avoid getting my signal after its been through the Bose amp.

Last edited by Eric Marciniak; 10-31-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:01 PM
G35X
Ok so I spent a good chunk of this weekend trying to get this to work but I'm having no luck. The amp powers on and the remote tap on the woofer amp on wire works (pin 22 grey wire) but when going through the JL CL-RLC or directly into the amp I get extremely low inaudible output.

I can feel the sub moving the tiniest amount even when the gain is maxed out which is obviously not right haha. It matches the bass in the music but it's so low. It has the most output when I put the RCA's right into the amp but it's still almost nothing. The amp is an Alpine MRX M100 and I can't find anything about it accepting differential balanced inputs but I don't get any weird noise which I was expecting.

I'll check my taps on the rear speaker signal going into the Bose amp later. My rear speakers are still working fine and when I fade to the front I get no output at all from the sub. Can anyone tell me what I should be getting on the RCA's with a multi-meter? Any other ideas on why isit not working?

Old 11-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
The only time I installed a loc into a car with a stock amp in a 98 gs400 and I grabbed the signal before the amp and worked perfect
just find a good ground and separate the power wires from the rcas I never ever had any noice and I've even used cheap boss amps

Old 08-01-2019, 06:50 PM
G35X
Forgot about this tread but I fixed my problem months ago. Turns out my cheap wire taps were the issue. Bought some Posi-Taps and everything worked great after.