Coss Drilled or Slotted Brake Rotors Worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 04:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Coss Drilled or Slotted Brake Rotors Worth it?

Hey guy's. Was Browsing Stillen web site, and saw that they have stock Replacement Brake Rotors for our 07 G's. Now would they be worth spending and extra $250-300 Each for a set of Back or Front rotors? Either Slotted or Cross Drilled Direct replacements for Stock,? I know the Stock G Brakes are fine as is, But just wanted some Feedback, if it would be a wrothwhile Add-on?

Old 07-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should get them.... and then let us know how they are! I have been thinking about those as well, but I think our stock brakes work great. Hate to make the swap and lose the performance.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 808MIKE
Hey guy's. Was Browsing Stillen web site, and saw that they have stock Replacement Brake Rotors for our 07 G's. Now would they be worth spending and extra $250-300 Each for a set of Back or Front rotors? Either Slotted or Cross Drilled Direct replacements for Stock,? I know the Stock G Brakes are fine as is, But just wanted some Feedback, if it would be a wrothwhile Add-on?
They look nice, but don't provide a huge difference in breaking. The OEM brakes are quite good. So if you have some extra money to burn, they do look nice.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they would look awesome behind some big rims....if you get the rotors, get better brake pads/stainless steel lines/higher dot braking fluid. then you will see much better braking from higher speeds that builds up the gases and heats the fluid. and at low speed, initial bite will improve.

I had all of the above on my 02 sentra Specv and it helped greatly when slowing down from 310WHP fun on the interstate.
also amazing difference in twisty roads that require quick and repetitive braking.

all in all worth the money if your actually going to use them for the correct purpose.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too thought about getting those from Stillen. However, I want to wait a little while longer to see if StopTech, Rotora, and or Brembo release anything. Also, there is someone who has them installed already. Not sure where I saw it, just know that I did. Looked great though!

Old 07-20-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by kmuniz78
I too thought about getting those from Stillen. However, I want to wait a little while longer to see if StopTech, Rotora, and or Brembo release anything. Also, there is someone who has them installed already. Not sure where I saw it, just know that I did. Looked great though!
Wouldn't be from StopTech ... prototype parts aren't due for a few weeks.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Hey guys, basically my rotors are close to being warped if not already. Anyways rather than replacing them with OEM again and have to change them again, i was thinking about going after market however for the Sports i only found Stillen sports rotors.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...odel=G35%204DR

Also i know they wont make a huge difference in performance and im fine with the stock braking power, however will these last longer and be LESS immune to warping?

Do u think these are good, if so should i get the crossdrilled or slotted?
I was thinking slotted would be fine as i wont have to worry about cracking, but would drilled help better with the warping issue as they dissipitate heat better.

All input appreciated, looking to change within this month.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i was going to make a thread asking the samething..

Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Loving the Brembo's!!!! Need to save a few more pennies for the complete kit!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ true but dont have that much $, so rotors and pds change is all i get anyone else with helpful insight?

Old 09-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by 808MIKE
Taken straight from Brembo themselves: "The main advantages of drilled and slotted discs are the same: increased brake "bite", and a continuous refreshing of the brake pad surface. Drilled discs have the additional advantage of being lighter and running cooler. However, there are certain pad materials that should not be used with a drilled disc."

Therefore, to answer your first question, "Now would they be worth spending and extra $250-300 Each for a set of Back or Front rotors?" Depends. If you are looking for additional performance, then yes. If you have no clue, the possibly not. Pretty easy to decide.

To answer your second question, "Either Slotted or Cross Drilled Direct replacements for Stock,?" Again. It depends on what you are looking for. I would say drilled. Someone else might say slotted. I say tomato, you say tOmAtO. Go drilled!

Lastly, my feedback would be yes! It would be a "wrothwhile Add-on!"

Old 09-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I've read about cross-drilled and slotted rotors........

On a street car, they're good for two things:

1. They look good
2. They create more brake dust

From the studies I've seen, regular rotors actually perform better (braking distance) than cross drilled or slotted. And I've never had a problem with my stock brakes overheating.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:39 PM
FWIW, most race cars do not use cross drilled rotors any more. Also, the ones that do, do so for weight savings, not for a decrease in brake fade or better cooling or better stopping distances.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
The stock rotors on the X suck.... they've warped on me and I had them turned at the dealer for free. They said that if the warp again, I can have them replaced free of charge... and the steering wheel is shaking upon braking, so I'll be calling them soon.

I also was peeking at those rotors on Stillen's site.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:46 PM
FWIW, warped rotors are usually driver error.

Most common mistake is washing your car when the rotors are hot. Cross-drilled won't change this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coss Drilled or Slotted Brake Rotors Worth it?