BBS RS-GT Wheels on 08' G35X Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
The trouble when you drop the car is the excessive camber. Your tires start to wear excessively unless you put a camber kit in it.
Will camber be a problem with just H&R? what about Eibach or Tein? Tein makes a spring for the G that drops about an 1".

Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexF
Will camber be a problem with just H&R? what about Eibach or Tein? Tein makes a spring for the G that drops about an 1".
Alex you can do a search but from what I have read so far, most of these kits will give you some camber caused wear.
The one kit that gives a very minor drop is the Impul Kit, a couple guys have purchased the kit but have not reported about the install yet.
Here is the thread on Impul: Click for Impul Spring thread
Wayne

Old 12-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Wei
Any idea what kind of spacers to purchase and where?
kics make spacers,
there are probably others out there, you can go to the marketplace/vendor forums and pm the people who sells wheels, they should have some...

and regarding camber wear, unless the drop is like 3", you can still try to align it as much as possible, unless the camber is greater than -3, i wouldn't worry about it, toe kills tires, camber only slightly, if the wheels aren't staggered and you regularly rotate, camber wear is almost non existant

Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 PM
The more I think about it, the more sense it makes for me to stick with 18's...dropping with H&R's or Eibachs would be too low since snow storms can still creep up here in the northeast and I'd like to have some ground clearance and decent sidewall protection for the rim. Ideally would like to lower it about an inch the most, or keep it stock. Waiting to hear feedback on IMPUL springs.

I'm liking the BBS RGR(pic below), pretty much the same wheel as the earlier mentioned BBS RS-GT but 1 piece. Tire Rack has them listed at 40 offset, 18.1 lbs...LIGHT! but at $655 each, still pretty expensive. And no 8.5 width, only 8...can still probably put on 245/45's. The other drawback for me is that all these aftermarket rims require centering rings, unless I spend at least 4K and go custom with hubcentric wheels. I'm sure most people are fine with aftermarket wheels, but I've read many horror stories. Oh well, I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If that's the style rim you want, and you're concerned w/ cost, why not get the ASA AR1 which is a BBS clone. They're only $160 each in the 18" size.

ASA actually licenses the design from BBS and BBS helped ASA set up their production facility so they produce good quality rims. The ASA is cast, not forged, but in an 18" size, with stock 45 series rubber, you won't have to worry about the rim getting bent.

If I was concerned w/ driving on snowy, grimey roads, I wouldn't run expensive forged rims like BBS.

Here's a picture of an Audi with silver ASA R1 rims. They also come in chrome and black w/ a polished lip.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
If that's the style rim you want, and you're concerned w/ cost, why not get the ASA AR1 which is a BBS clone. They're only $160 each in the 18" size.

ASA actually licenses the design from BBS and BBS helped ASA set up their production facility so they produce good quality rims. The ASA is cast, not forged, but in an 18" size, with stock 45 series rubber, you won't have to worry about the rim getting bent.

If I was concerned w/ driving on snowy, grimey roads, I wouldn't run expensive forged rims like BBS.

Here's a picture of an Audi with silver ASA R1 rims. They also come in chrome and black w/ a polished lip.

Good point, thanks...they look great but I might be taking a performance hit. They're a full 5 lbs heavier than the BBS's. Does anyone know the weight of the stock G 18" sport rim?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Alex I'm right beside you with the lowering. It looks nice but is impractical if you are using the X on heavily snowed or rough roads. I bottom out sometimes now at stock height. The Impul springs are interesting since they only lower the car around 1/2".
I went with 18s because the ride is a bit better and you have a bit more selection in tires along with a bit less money for the rubber as compared to 19 or 20"ers

Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good point, thanks...they look great but I might be taking a performance hit. They're a full 5 lbs heavier than the BBS's. Does anyone know the weight of the stock G 18" sport rim?
I don't know the stock weight, but they're by no means light. They felt pretty heavy when I was swapping them out to replace them w/ the M45 19s I bought. The M45 19s were heavier than the 18" G35S rims.

The truth of the matter is, generally, OEM wheels tend to be made beefier than aftermkt rims because they need to pass more stringent OEM durability standards. These ASAs should be about the same weight as the stock OEM rims.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmmm, $640 or $4000? Do you REALLY think 5lbs per wheel will make THAT much of a difference? I guarantee you, you couldnt distinguish the difference. BBS makes good wheels, but just like Porsche and Audi, you are paying for a name.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Hmmmm, $640 or $4000? Do you REALLY think 5lbs per wheel will make THAT much of a difference? I guarantee you, you couldnt distinguish the difference. BBS makes good wheels, but just like Porsche and Audi, you are paying for a name.
You're probably right about not feeling the weight difference, but wheel strength might be worth paying the premium for me. I've heard nothing but praise for BBS wheels. Speaking from personal experience, I damaged rims numerous times when hitting potholes around here, and there are plenty around NJ/NYC. I doubt the ASAs are as strong as BBS, and like the saying goes, you get what you pay for. We'll see, as of now I'm still undecided.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
and like the saying goes, you get what you pay for
That I definitely can agree on....

Old 12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
I saw these on another forum and they should be a good fit... I'm not sure if you are interested in going the used route, but 1750 shipped for some LMs is a steal

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317476

Old 12-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Don't know how I just saw this thread...damn working keeping me from being up to date on the posts!

That is my car with the Rays and H&R. Definitely no problems rubbing...definitely problems with camber...and and definitely needs spacers. Right now I'm running -2* camber, so they are tucked even more than normal. I'm just waiting to decide if I'm going to keep the negative camber or fix it before I put spacers on them. Fronts need spacers more than that rears for sure, but both are tucked too much.

I found a great deal on the rims(almost brand new with brand new TR1s for $1200 all together) so I pulled the trigger. I wanted M rims but couldn't pass up on this deal. I've grown to really like them though, and as soon as I get them flush I'll like the look even more I think.

I'm contemplating a bit of a cheaper option...using the Rays forged 19's that came on the 07' G35 coupe. Even though the coupe has a staggered option, I can use the rears all around with the following specs: 8.5 wide, +33mm offset, weight 21 lbs, with a 245/40 tire. I'm assuming these wheels are hubcentric using the standard Nissan/Infiniti hub bore of 66.10 mm?

What do you guys think? any issues with lowering with H&R springs?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by ap1_alan
I saw these on another forum and they should be a good fit... I'm not sure if you are interested in going the used route, but 1750 shipped for some LMs is a steal

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317476
Thanks, but I want to stick with 18's.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Thumbs up

bbs rs-gt ftw

Attached Thumbnails BBS RS-GT Wheels on 08' G35X Sport-196.jpg   BBS RS-GT Wheels on 08' G35X Sport-200.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BBS RS-GT Wheels on 08' G35X Sport