Question about Tire Lifetime on G35 sport TIRES!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Question about Tire Lifetime on G35 sport TIRES!!

like title says, i have a 07G35 journey with 18 inch sport tires and after 13k miles i have been told by 2 people that my rear tires are going bad. I dont drive really hard, but as we all know, the cars rear wheeled and since we cant rotate its there going to go faster, but come on now, freakin 13k miles. THis is a absolute outrage . I have the tire protection plan for my lease, does anyone know if this is going to be covered?? or should i plan to run over some nails this weekend? Any advice?
wg

Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 AM
15-20k for performance tires is about par for the course. Simply put, the rubber is a softer compound which grips better, hence wears faster. What tread depth do you have left on the rears? I don't think your tire protection plan covers normal wear and tear, just nails and repairs; and typically they are prorated plans with replacement costs based on the remaining life of the tire...

Old 01-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced the rears @ 20k. i'm at 30 now and my fronts need to be replaced soon also.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:39 AM
These bridgestone G35 tires have very LOW thread wear rating, like 150, which means short life like 20K miles at most with grandma driving style too. If you go retial tire store and buy the exact same tire I'm sure it will have higher thread number. The reason is to control cost, car company like Infiniti tells bridestone to make cheaper or less rubber version of the same tire and call them oem tires.

Typically quality aftermarket tires have thread wear rating of 260+ which means a good 35K miles no problem.

I forget the formula for thread wear number, or how to convert them into miles. I'm sure someone else here do.

Recently my friend got a set of new tires for his 07' bmw 335i, it's called General Xclaim, I never heard of it, $150 each and it looks really well made! I plan to get the same brand when my tires go.

Last edited by oughttoreturn; 01-24-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
An outrage?? Hmmm...if it makes you feel better, mine went at about 9.8k (including a track day), and previous cars have made about 16 - 18k on all seasons (Michelin Pilots).

You can put on tires with better mileage, but performance will likely suffer - I'm going to put on Pilots next, which should get better mileage (but aren't cheap...).

Old 01-24-2008, 10:49 AM
tjm
I replaced mine at 23,000. All four tires. I got some Firestone all weathers and they cost me 1300!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
An outrage?? Hmmm...if it makes you feel better, mine went at about 9.8k (including a track day), and previous cars have made about 16 - 18k on all seasons (Michelin Pilots).

You can put on tires with better mileage, but performance will likely suffer - I'm going to put on Pilots next, which should get better mileage (but aren't cheap...).
WOW -- 9.8K is new low .... that is awful
Man - all these new car costs are going to bite me soon

But what the heck -- it puts a smile on my face when I drop the clutch

Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
and we complained when the first generation G came with crappy tires. I guess it is because of people like the OP.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by urirx98
like title says, i have a 07G35 journey with 18 inch sport tires and after 13k miles i have been told by 2 people that my rear tires are going bad. I dont drive really hard, but as we all know, the cars rear wheeled and since we cant rotate its there going to go faster, but come on now, freakin 13k miles. THis is a absolute outrage . I have the tire protection plan for my lease, does anyone know if this is going to be covered?? or should i plan to run over some nails this weekend? Any advice?
wg
urirx98,

An outrage? I think not! That's what happens when you buy a car with Ultra High Performance Summer tires. I just replaced all four tires on my car at 22,000 miles. I admit that 13,000 miles is on the low side, but tire tread wear also depends on your driving habits.

As for whether your tires are truly going bad, you should verify it for yourself using the 'penny' or 'quarter' test to measure the tread depth for each tire. Or you could go to an Auto Parts store and pick up a tread depth gauge for about $3.00. That way, you will know for sure if your tires are truly as worn as you think.

Anyway, I would suggest that when you replace them, you put on the Goodyear Eagle F1's instead of the OEM Bridgestone RE050's. The Goodyears are almost as expensive as the OEM tires (about $850 for all four) but they should last considerably longer. Not to mention, with the Sport model, the Goodyears are your only other choice. So far, at least in my case, these tires provide nearly the same performance as the OEM's, and are better on wet roads.

Maybe the dealer will be willing to compensate you or perhaps replace the tires on a prorated basis.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Regards,

Old 01-24-2008, 06:26 PM
tire milage

I replaced mine at 20k mostly to survive the cold and lil bit of snow we get here near DC. I'd estimate they were about 2/3 gone and were perfect for dry warm conditions. The new Mich Sport AS (one size up all around) are nearly as good and are excellent in the cold wet and snow, far more comfortable and fill the wheel wells nicely.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by chuckg35
I replaced mine at 20k mostly to survive the cold and lil bit of snow we get here near DC. I'd estimate they were about 2/3 gone and were perfect for dry warm conditions. The new Mich Sport AS (one size up all around) are nearly as good and are excellent in the cold wet and snow, far more comfortable and fill the wheel wells nicely.
What size tires did you put on all the way around? The wheel width is different front to back on the Sport models so I curious as to what size you went with.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As everyone said, it's all about drive style. anywhere from 10K to 30K. I'm at 13K and as far as I can tell they still look new, I'll probably get 30K or more out of them.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!

Agreed - I got 30k out of my Pilots on my 04 coupe. I'm hoping that when I make the switch to the sedan, I'll get the same (after I switch to the Pilot Sports that is).

Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I might be buying a G35XS soon. I've been looking at potential replacement tires just to see what's available right now. These Goodyears Eagles F1 are all seasons but have good reviews at the Tire Rack and seem to have a higher thread life. But 13K miles from your stock tires really sucks.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=(Y)&minLoad=S

Old 01-25-2008, 04:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the Eagle RS-A's (Non-sport OEM) and I'm @ 29.9k miles.
I think I can put about 1k more at the most.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about Tire Lifetime on G35 sport TIRES!!