All season tires for an x (225/55/17)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All season tires for an x (225/55/17)

This is a question for you guys in the snow belt who have all season tires throughout the year.

We all know that how "good" the OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A perform in the dry/wet/snow. I think I will change my tires after this summer, as the original treadwear rating of this tire is only 260 anyway.

Any suggestions on good performance all season tires that work well in the snow? Please do not tell me to get winter tires as this is just not an option for me right now.

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
i had michelin pilot sport a/s on my 2000 maxima (225/50/17) and was happy with their snow/rain/dry performance in northern va.
but if you head over to tirerack.com, you can read lots of reviews of tires there.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have actually checked tirerack.com but they do not have all the tire brands (eg. Continental). That is why I wanted to see if any members can help.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I got 35k out of my tires (RS-A), I think I can get a few thousand more on them.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I was going to go with Goodyear ResponseEdge but I think I'm going to go with Kumho's instead...

Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wats with the tread wear rating how do we take that number into account, what does it stand for?

Old 03-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mhleung
This is a question for you guys in the snow belt who have all season tires throughout the year.

We all know that how "good" the OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A perform in the dry/wet/snow. I think I will change my tires after this summer, as the original treadwear rating of this tire is only 260 anyway.

Any suggestions on good performance all season tires that work well in the snow? Please do not tell me to get winter tires as this is just not an option for me right now.

Thanks everyone!
Mark, Check out Nokian tire http://www.nokiantires.com/en/DEFAULT.ASPX , I have used their winters and apparently they make an awesome Performance all season tire. They are made in Finland.
I purchased my Nokians for my Maxima a few years ago at Steelcase tire.

I never did try the stock Eagle RSA tires on my X, I drove the car home and had them removed that weekk. They are sitting in my basement in tire bags with 200 kms on them.

I have Pilot Sport All Seasons on my summer rims.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
treadwear ratings...

To receive a treadwear grade, a tire is tested under controlled conditions on a government prescribed test course which does not necessarily simulate the actual application for which a given tire is designed to perform. As a result of these test parameters, there is no reliable way to assign miles of wear to treadwear grade points.
The best way to use treadwear ratings is to compare one rating to another. For instance, a tire with a treadwear grade of 400 might be expected to last twice as long as a tire that has a grade of 200.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Mark, Check out Nokian tire http://www.nokiantires.com/en/DEFAULT.ASPX , I have used their winters and apparently they make an awesome Performance all season tire. They are made in Finland.
I purchased my Nokians for my Maxima a few years ago at Steelcase tire.

I never did try the stock Eagle RSA tires on my X, I drove the car home and had them removed that weekk. They are sitting in my basement in tire bags with 200 kms on them.

I have Pilot Sport All Seasons on my summer rims.
STAY away from Nokian AWR, i have had them twice in 16s and 18s... I say stay away... they r useless... in 18s they would run you at least 900 bucks if you know where to get them but 1500 normally. 225/40/18s.... in 16s.. they run normally 900 at a normal shop.. maybe less elsewhere.. but not much cheaper.. and the performance is rubbish.. very very noisy and winds will throw you about.. maybe not so much in this car but i am assuming it would affect it.....

I WAS an advocate for that tire.. worlds ONLY all aseason tire which is properly SNOW rated... no one else does it.. I figured NOKIAN and all that.. yeah welll let me tell you something those tires are crap.. could have even caused me several accidents.. although thats debatable.

I say go my route.. hunt down a set of cheap n good winter rims, I found myself some brand new take offs from a dealer 17" oems..exactly like mine for $375 shipped. u can barely get black winters for that much in 17"s...well here anyways.. and you get yourself some blizzaks for the winter... and run your all seasons in the off snow periods... thats what I am going to be doing..I am already preparing for next season.. by getting those rims now..

Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Wow !
And all I have heard is good things including my own experience with their winters.
You are correct though, nothing can beat dedicated winter tires but the OP does not want that.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:56 PM
yeah tuff for him.. lol get something else then.... maybe some normal all seasons.. def give Nokian all seasons a pass, not worth the money. Their winters may be another story.. but then again if blizzaks seem to work greak I do not see the justification for the extra money...

oh yeah wanted to tell people, that I got the AWRs at first because I had no place to really store them, but now I am gonna just bag them nice and put them on the balcony since i live in a condo.. no choice, make do.

Last edited by jdanielsg; 03-06-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow, thanks for all your input. We are getting another dump of snow today and this weekend in Toronto. My RS-As should be OK for now, but I am sure they are almost done...

So let me see...

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Goodyear ResponseEdge
Kumho (ASX? AST? something like that?)
Nokian AWR
Winter rims + tires (that is NOT an option, as I have no place to store them now.)

Old 03-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I have run Falken 512s and Michelin Pilot Exalto AS on "sporty" cars before with good results. I think the 512s were better on dry pavement, but the Exaltos were definitely better in the slush. Hard to really compare them because they were on very different cars.

If I had to buy tires today I would probably buy the Exaltos again. Those 512s were great for warm weather but they wore fast and loud. I have the Exaltos on a Saab convertible right now and I have been pleased. When it snows, I consider the Saab safer than the G because of those tires.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I was looking into the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, but I don't believe they make them for our size (225/55/17). Are you guys looking at an alternate size?

I have also been looking at the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, but that is also not in our size.

What are peoples' takes on the Yokohama AVID H4S?

My favorite has always been the BF Goodrich Traction T/A (H or V), and I just found on their site they make our size, so I guess I may have found my winner.

Last edited by DaCurryman; 03-12-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by hyukki
I was going to go with Goodyear ResponseEdge but I think I'm going to go with Kumho's instead...
I'm a big Kumho fan, too. When my Bimmer's Michelins needed changing at 50K, we put in the well priced Kumho's. Honestly, I like them much better than the Michelins. They won't wear as long but gripped MUCH better. We also have them on our Camry and they have been simply great.

Which Kumho's are you considering for the G35? My RSAs only have 1400 miles but I'm already thinking about what to swap in. Have heard the Yokos are good, too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: All season tires for an x (225/55/17)