Stock suspension Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2008 | 11:13 PM
|
well i bought the G37 springs, My friend told me though they are only 1/2 an inch shorter, you really wouldn't know what the drop is till you try, it can go close to an inch he said. I'm looking for a VERY mild drop, I have HORRIBLE roads down here in New Orleans, and like most of yall know floods also so i need to be able to get through them w/o sucking in water. So I'm hoping for around an inch, i'll take before and after pics, but it might be a week or so, b/c i don't know when i can go home, and what condition my home may be in...

Old 09-02-2008 | 12:58 AM
It's true you won't know until you try but I don't see how a spring that is 1/2" shorter that is sport tuned on a lighter car than what it's designed for is going offer more than the 1/2" if that much. Maybe my logic is incorrect though.

Stay safe down there in that crazy weather. And please post up before and after pics when you install them.

Last edited by BGBarracus; 09-02-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by SVLRx
well i bought the G37 springs, My friend told me though they are only 1/2 an inch shorter, you really wouldn't know what the drop is till you try, it can go close to an inch he said. I'm looking for a VERY mild drop, I have HORRIBLE roads down here in New Orleans, and like most of yall know floods also so i need to be able to get through them w/o sucking in water. So I'm hoping for around an inch, i'll take before and after pics, but it might be a week or so, b/c i don't know when i can go home, and what condition my home may be in...
Would love to know how they work out drop-wise. Also wouldn't mind a VERY mild drop with some tighter handling but can't find it w/o $500 from japanparts.

Old 09-02-2008 | 10:38 AM
Rick @ Riverside said he can get the Impuls for us.
I haven't asked for a price yet but my guess would be a few bucks cheaper than JapanParts.

Old 09-02-2008 | 10:40 AM
I might be interested. I just have to get these H&R sways refunded... they were 5 bills, so that'll cover my next step. It'd be nice to get 5 or 6 peeps to order then maybe we can work the price a little, but it's doubtful there's that many peeps that want them.

Old 09-02-2008 | 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by sredish
It'd be nice to get 5 or 6 peeps to order then maybe we can work the price a little, but it's doubtful there's that many peeps that want them.
You work on that and if it happens, I'm in.
We may be able to sway Wayne (GEE35X) as well. Him and I are both in the dog house if the wives find out though.

Old 09-02-2008 | 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by sredish
It'd be nice to get 5 or 6 peeps to order then maybe we can work the price a little, but it's doubtful there's that many peeps that want them.
After following several of the to lower or not related threads on here recently, you can count one more looking very hard at the IMPUls. I think they have the right balance of drop (even out gap front to rear) without giving up excessive ground clearance.

Old 09-02-2008 | 03:42 PM
well hell, that's 3 right there. maybe we should open this up to an official deal. maybe i'll contact Rick first and see what his thoughts are, he may not be able to budge a dime, but this has the making of a GB if I've seen one.

Old 11-01-2008 | 09:34 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by SVLRx
bump - for an update?

Old 02-26-2009 | 09:08 PM
Hey guys. I realize this is an old thread, but I'm trying to do the same thing most of you guys are trying to do, so I figured you guys might be interested in this post.

Anyway, I just picked up a set of Tanabe NF210 lowering springs from Rick at Riverside the other day. These are their comfort line and only drop the car 1" / 1.3", so it's a moderate drop, but not too much.

Also, you guys might be interested to know that I spoke to Adam at Eibach today (they're office is only about 5 or 6 miles from my house), and asked him the difference between the two different part numbers that they have in their system for the V36 sedan and the V36 coupe springs. Basically he told me that the V36 sedan and coupe both have the same length front springs stock, but the rear springs on the coupe are about .2 - .3" shorter than the sedan. He also mentioned that the coupe springs have slightly higher spring rates than the sedan stock. The difference between their 6383.140 & 6388.140 springs is the length and spring rates. The sedan Eibach springs (6383.140) drop the car 1.4" up front and 1.3" in the back and the spring rates are about 15% heavier than stock. If you use the G37 coupe Eibach springs (6388.140) on the sedan then it will drop the car approximately 1.2" up front and 1.0" in the rear, but the spring rates will be even heavier than their sedan springs. He said they have actually sold a couple of coupes sets for use on the sedan, so it is possible to use them if you want slightly less of a drop and slightly heavier spring rates. He also mentioned for people that don't want the full drop, that they have used Energy Suspension's Coil Spring Isolators to raise the vehicle up slightly. These actually replace the factory spring isolators with slightly thicker ones depending on the ride height you are looking for. He said that these are perfectly safe to use and will not affect the ride at all.

Here's the link that I got from Eibach:

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/sboots.html

I plan to go with a 1/4" or 3/8" thick isolator on the rear if I think the Tanabe springs are a little too low in the rear... We'll see once I install them.

I am also buying a set of used Eibach springs for the G37 coupe, so I'll have plenty of different lowering options to try out in the future. I'll post my results for all of the different set-ups once I have had a chance to try them out.

Here's a few pics of the Tanabe springs. I will post some before and after pics after I do the install.

Old 02-26-2009 | 09:22 PM
My only real concern with these is the amount of drop in the rear.
I'd like to have even gap front and back, or slightly less gap in the front if possible.
These appear to drop the back more than the front and I'm not completely sold on using isolators yet.

I'd order today if I saw how yours turned out, but I know your a few weeks away from the install.

Old 02-26-2009 | 11:30 PM
Yeah, I agree completely... I'm affraid it will be too low in the rear, as well... If so, I will try the spring isolators that Eibach recommended and see how those work. I also plan to try the Eibach coupe springs once I get them from the guy I am buying them from.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to install the Tanabe's either this weekend or sometime next week. We'll see, but it will be next weekend at the latest... I'll make sure to let you know how it turns out asap, so you can make your decision.

Old 03-09-2009 | 03:23 AM
Can someone do a measurement on the stock G37 spring... STOCK G37 springs ok.. from tip to tip the front spring and the rear spring.. from tip to tip.. i am collecting data to see if it is even possible to put it on our g35's 07 thanks

Old 03-09-2009 | 02:47 PM
I don't have the measurements, but it's been done before, so they defintely will fit.

You may want to try posting on MyG37 for the measurements on the stock springs. You may have better luck getting an answer over there.

Old 03-09-2009 | 05:22 PM
thanks..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock suspension Question