Tire Balance and Rotation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidGx
Complete with impact lug nut installation and warped rotors. I don't shop at Walmart, I'm certainlynot taking my car there.
so what exactly is this business of warping rotors if u use in impact wrench?
physically that doesn't make any sense to me,
also its never happened to me?

i don't think its the tool used, i think is what pattern the lugs are tightened in. you have to go hand tight, then tork them in a star pattern. every shop uses an air wrench to do that.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snowcrossmxz
so what exactly is this business of warping rotors if u use in impact wrench?
physically that doesn't make any sense to me,
also its never happened to me?

i don't think its the tool used, i think is what pattern the lugs are tightened in. you have to go hand tight, then tork them in a star pattern. every shop uses an air wrench to do that.
the problem isnt about the impact gun its about the technician zapping the lug nuts down and continuing tightening it.

what we do at my work is we zap it down gently then torque it once on the ground.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 PM
I have a 2008 Journey g35 sedan that is an Automatic. Usually the car comes with 17in stock rims, but I got the Tire and Wheel Package which are 18s. I believe those are the same as the Wheels for the Sport Package, similar to one on a g35s? (I don't have awd just the regular one). So can they be rotated?

Old 08-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Oliver514
I have a 2008 Journey g35 sedan that is an Automatic. Usually the car comes with 17in stock rims, but I got the Tire and Wheel Package which are 18s. I believe those are the same as the Wheels for the Sport Package, similar to one on a g35s? (I don't have awd just the regular one). So can they be rotated?
nope...they are staggered just look at the tire and read the numbers if fronts dont match with rears then u cant

Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by 559MostWanted
the problem isnt about the impact gun its about the technician zapping the lug nuts down and continuing tightening it.

what we do at my work is we zap it down gently then torque it once on the ground.

so ur saying an air wrench will crush the disk?

if i use a tire iron i usually stand on the end of it once its on the ground,
if ya do the math, and estimate a tire iron is a little over a foot long, im putting over 200 foot pounds on the lugs.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if ya do the math, and estimate a tire iron is a little over a foot long, im putting over 200 foot pounds on the lugs.
Wow! IIRC, torque spec for the lug nuts is 80 pounds...

Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 AM
ya i know huh,

i still don't see how the air wrench is the problem, i think its the patten in how u tighten the lungs and the tire/disk doesn't sit properly...

Old 08-28-2008, 10:38 PM

nooo i meant the people who hold it on the impact gun on there for each lug nut forever usually over tightens them. i usually crisscross them down gently with the gun then finish it on the ground with the torque wrench

but yea torque specs for the g35 should be 80lbs or so only.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, if the lugs are finger tight and then zapped, no problem. However, if one tooth Billy at Wally World starts a thread and then BAM! to the wheel with an impact, its not good.

Its your car, do as you please. Me, I ask for my tire place only uses an impact to remove the lugs and only a torque wrench to install.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 AM
It's just best to avoid the impact wrench. I've had dealers overtighten my lug nuts so badly that when I took the nut off, it stripped the thread on the bolt.

The other issue is, even if they're "gently" impacted on, in many cases, they end up scratching the sides of the bolt holes.

Now, whenever I get stuff done by someone else which requires wheel removal, the minute I get home, I break loose each bolt and retighten to 80 lb/ft. Then recheck after about 50 miles or so.

The worse thing that can happen is, you get stuck on the side of the road trying to change a flat, in the rain (or snow depending on where you live) and you can't get the lug nut off b/c some dipsh-t overtightened them on the car.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:54 AM
if i use a tire iron i usually stand on the end of it once its on the ground, if ya do the math, and estimate a tire iron is a little over a foot long, im putting over 200 foot pounds on the lugs.
I hope you're only doing this to loosen the lug nuts. You should not be applying nearly that much force to tighten them.

Additonally, if it can be avoided, stay away from standing on the tire iron for removal as well as it places too much sideways force on the bolt. Standing on the tire iron is how I ended up stripping one of the bolts after some fvcknut overtightened the lugnuts on one of my cars.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I hope you're only doing this to loosen the lug nuts. You should not be applying nearly that much force to tighten them.

Additonally, if it can be avoided, stay away from standing on the tire iron for removal as well as it places too much sideways force on the bolt. Standing on the tire iron is how I ended up stripping one of the bolts after some fvcknut overtightened the lugnuts on one of my cars.

no i tighten them like that too, have done it that way for over 10 years on all my cars, no problems yet

Old 08-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidGx
Complete with impact lug nut installation and warped rotors. I don't shop at Walmart, I'm certainlynot taking my car there.

If you think that the guys at any tire shop are better educated or better paid, you're just fooling yourself.

The plus side of walmart is that it's cheap, and if they screw something up, you have a large company with deep pockets to go after.

FWIW, it's also the cheapest place to get a full synthetic oil change. $40.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no i tighten them like that too, have done it that way for over 10 years on all my cars, no problems yet
"yet" is the important word.

You can do something wrong for a long time without any problems. But, why not just take the same amount of time to do it "right?"

Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by silverG2007
If you think that the guys at any tire shop are better educated or better paid, you're just fooling yourself.

The plus side of walmart is that it's cheap, and if they screw something up, you have a large company with deep pockets to go after.

FWIW, it's also the cheapest place to get a full synthetic oil change. $40.
im sure you are not comparing ASE certified technician shops who do tires and repair work to the guys who work at walmart who work based on speed. all they do is rush thru oil changes all day while making 50 cents over min wage?

I worked about 5 years as a technician and yet to meet a competent walmart lube tech. they focus more on moving vehicles at based on time more than they care about doing them correctly.

Last edited by NationsMostWanted; 08-31-2008 at 12:03 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Balance and Rotation?