Wheel and Tires: What do you think?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2009 | 03:05 PM
Sorry to hijack Kul, but I have a question. I have 10.5 with +43 offset in the back and 8.5 with +29, and 3/4 of a drop in the front and 1/4 in the back, will I have camber issues? Thanks

Old 02-24-2009 | 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by EnviedG35
275 is going to look like **** on a 10.5" wheel. I have a 10" wide wheel and had 275's and they were really stretched. Im just got a set of 285's in to replace the 275's. Wheels look nice though.
No, 275 is a perfect look for a sedan with large rims and a good drop

Old 02-24-2009 | 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by boss81
Sorry to hijack Kul, but I have a question. I have 10.5 with +43 offset in the back and 8.5 with +29, and 3/4 of a drop in the front and 1/4 in the back, will I have camber issues? Thanks
Less drop=less negative camber.

Since there is little to no factory adjstment, negative camber increases as the car is lowered. If you are running IMPUL springs you probably have a tad more than a 1/4" in the back. Either way, you should not be too far out. The front may be a little further out. It has almost no adjustment. With your 3/4" drop you are probably in the 1 degree range. You will get some additional wear on the inside of your tires, but not nearly as much as someone with H&R springs. I think that was the main idea with the IMPUL springs. The drop is high enough that you can still get your car close to factory specs.

With that said, your 10.5" should give Kul a good idea what a 10.5" wheel will look like at close to factory specs. His would sit 3mm further out than yours. I gotta imagine your rears stick out a little. Maybe around 5mm? I saw some side pics of your car and it was hard to tell. Can you post any pics of the sides taken from the back and front of the car?

Old 02-24-2009 | 03:41 PM
You're right, the rears stick out some.
Here ya go.....

Old 02-24-2009 | 04:17 PM
Thanks. Overall, it looks pretty good. The wheels are awesome.

I would say that is about 5mm. It is always hard to say from looking at pictures. I just ordered a set of Volk GTS wheels, and I thought about going with the 10.5" +43, but I couldn't find anyone that had the same setup and was reluctant to do so. It looks like something in the +48 to +50 range would be flush with alignment at factory specs on 10.5" rear.

Oh, I should also say I went with a 9.5" +37 for the rear on my car. That should make my rear tuck in about an extra 7mm compared to Boss81 (above pics). I think I can live with that.... I went with the 8.5" +36 for the front.

Old 02-24-2009 | 04:26 PM
I agree that for some people aggressive offsets are just a hassle.
But for some (like me), flush and aggressive fitments are the only way to be satisfied lol
Plus anything below 2* of negative camber is fine in terms of camber wear.
You could daily drive a car with those offsets no problem, only thing is you'd need to get new rubber in a little more than a year. Of course you can always rotate the tire on the rims.

Old 02-24-2009 | 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Borna
I agree that for some people aggressive offsets are just a hassle.
But for some (like me), flush and aggressive fitments are the only way to be satisfied lol
Plus anything below 2* of negative camber is fine in terms of camber wear.
You could daily drive a car with those offsets no problem, only thing is you'd need to get new rubber in a little more than a year. Of course you can always rotate the tire on the rims.
I completely agree. For some people it is A-OK. I ran about 2 degrees neg. camber on my G35, and I replaced my tires usually in the 12-15k range. I don't drive a whole lot, so that was about once every 18 months. That in itself is not a big deal. It will also hurt overall braking performance, and strait line acceleration (probably not enough to notice on this car), and I would call the overall handling a wash. The gobs of negative camber may help at the extreme limit of handling, but for day-to-day driving the car will be less enjoyable.

All-in-all, I agree. If you can live with the neg. camber, and with the right wheels, an aggressive setup can look pretty awesome. As you pointed out, some people are too lazy to deal with it (I am in that category).

Old 02-24-2009 | 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by jran76
Thanks. Overall, it looks pretty good. The wheels are awesome.

I would say that is about 5mm. It is always hard to say from looking at pictures. I just ordered a set of Volk GTS wheels, and I thought about going with the 10.5" +43, but I couldn't find anyone that had the same setup and was reluctant to do so. It looks like something in the +48 to +50 range would be flush with alignment at factory specs on 10.5" rear.

Oh, I should also say I went with a 9.5" +37 for the rear on my car. That should make my rear tuck in about an extra 7mm compared to Boss81 (above pics). I think I can live with that.... I went with the 8.5" +36 for the front.
Anytime, thanks for the compliment on the wheels. I was looking at the GTS wheels when I was looking for mine. I love Volks, you can't go wrong with those wheels.

Old 02-24-2009 | 04:47 PM
Agreed on the 12-15k range.
Overall braking and handling I wouldn't agree with though.
As you said the acceleration would not be affected. (especially not compared to stock since you have a bigger contact patch)
2* still allows for a decent amount of contact (usually more than stock with wider rims)

The handling would be much better but much sportier. So that's a matter of personal preference. Some people want a smooth and relaxing ride while some like a sporty and responsive ride. (camber would be for the latter)

Braking shouldn't change either. Not noticeably at least.

You're thinking of people who are running more than -2* of camber.

Don't forget, the stock G doesn't have 0* of camber. it has anywhere between -0.5* to -0.8* of camber, maybe even more.

Old 02-24-2009 | 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by KulG35
Hey guys, I think I found set rims and tires I would like for the right price. Tell me what you guys think if there would be any issues with rubbing, looks, etc. Thanks!

Wheels:
Petrol Vengeance
Front 20x8.5 Offset: 40
Rear 20x10.5 Offset: 40

Tires:
Vredestein Sessanta
Front: 245/35/20
Rear: 275/30/20

I'd get this all for $1750 installed with TPMS. What do you all think? Size, price, rubbing, style, 10.5 too much (they don't make 10")... thanks! PS This is not forever, I'd like to get some dpe's... but not ready to drop $4K on rims just yet
Hey Travis. Why drop $1750 on these when you're planning to get some DPE's in the future? I'd say just wait and save your money for the rims you really want. Wheels and tires are a huge investment and from my experience, if you don't get what you really want then your not really going to be happy... ever if you think you're getting a deal. Also, after selling tires for many years, I'd definitely reconsider your tire decision... Just my $.02.

All that said, I think those wheels would look pretty sweet on your car. They're not very originaly, but I also don't think you'd get bored of them quickly either.

Also, a 275 or 285 on a 10.5" wheel is just about perfect. A 275 tire will have a section width of about 10.75", so it should be a good match. As someone else already mentioned, you will also probably need to get some small spacers (i.e. 10mm) to help push the front wheels out a little, so they will match the aggresive look that the rears will give you.

Last edited by 2GoRNot2G; 02-24-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2009 | 06:26 PM
|
Originally Posted by boss81
You're right, the rears stick out some.
Here ya go.....

Damn!!! If that's 10.5 43 offset I don't think I'm going to like 10.5 40... that looks like it's sticking out a bit too far.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:28 PM
|
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Hey Travis. Why drop $1750 on these when you're planning to get some DPE's in the future? I'd say just wait and save your money for the rims you really want. Wheels and tires are a huge investment and from my experience, if you don't get what you really want then your not really going to be happy... ever if you think you're getting a deal. Also, after selling tires for many years, I'd definitely reconsider your tire decision... Just my $.02.

All that said, I think those wheels would look pretty sweet on your car. They're not very originaly, but I also don't think you'd get bored of them quickly either.

Also, a 275 or 285 on a 10.5" wheel is just about perfect. A 275 tire will have a section width of about 10.75", so it should be a good match. As someone else already mentioned, you will also probably need to get some small spacers (i.e. 10mm) to help push the front wheels out a little, so they will match the aggresive look that the rears will give you.
I really like the looks of these... just not sure how flush they will be. I need tires BAD, that's why I want to do now... other wise I'll probably just wait another 20K before I buy rims.....

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:31 PM
^ That's right... Forgot you are in desperate need of new tires.... those things looked really bad the last time we had them off. Wonder if you could find a cheap set of rubber that someone else has pulled off their car that will get you through until you can afford the DPE's? I actually think you'd be fine with the 10.5" with 40 mm offset in the rear. I believe that BLUESLATE's Volks are 10.5" with a 37 mm offset in the rear and they look great. It looks like he had to run a little bit more negative camber to get them to tuck in, but I think his car looks great. 3 mm is only about 1/8", so your car would be very similar to either UGA's or BLUESLATE's... right inbetween in fact.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:56 PM
I think +43 is the most I would do, it looks a lot better now that I did the drop.

Old 02-24-2009 | 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by KulG35
Damn!!! If that's 10.5 43 offset I don't think I'm going to like 10.5 40... that looks like it's sticking out a bit too far.
Yours would be out at least 3mm further. Plus with his drop, he is probably a tad above the factory spec for camber (maybe close to 1 degree neg.). If you were truly at factory spec it would stick out even more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel and Tires: What do you think?