Will 16" wheels fit over S brake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure how much you want to spend, but I have my 2008 17's with OEM tires(Made in Japan), with only 2000 miles on them, so the tires are extremely new. The wheels are chrome with NO scratches, curb rash, etc. They are in excellent condition. I bought the G37 Sport 19's. PM me if you are interested. I have a lot more pics if you like to see them.

Here are a few: https://g35driver.com/forums/members/joesmithf1-albums-2008-g35-18-s-chrome-wheels-extremely-new.html

Last edited by joesmithf1; 07-31-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joesmithf1
I am not sure how much you want to spend, but I have my 2008 17's with OEM tires(Made in Japan), with only 2000 miles on them, so the tires are extremely new. The wheels are chrome with NO scratches, curb rash, etc. They are in excellent condition. I bought the G37 Sport 19's. PM me if you are interested. I have a lot more pics if you like to see them.

Here are a few: https://g35driver.com/forums/members/joesmithf1-albums-2008-g35-18-s-chrome-wheels-extremely-new.html

Lookin for summer tires, thanks anyway though. Hopefully I'll get more people to offer things up here, searching the marketplace hasn't shown me anything worthwhile.

Found a set of 17" stang GT wheels with pretty much brand new tires (the stock Pirellis) for only $500 But alas, all-seasons.

Mike - those Nismos are sweet. And I LOVE the new Max 19s. I don't get why they offer 19s on max but only ugly 18s on G37, we've all argued this before on here ha. My search continues - some prospects in Dallas

Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Just a thought, all of the trouble you are going through to find 17s, selling your 18s, seems the cost/benefit here is minimal.

First, if you do go ahead with the 17s, seems to me the car might look silly with the gap between the fender and the tire, so you may have to spend the money to lower it.

Second, I if you are tracking the car (or looking for a winter set) why not get one set of tires for your alternate use and another set for every day. Check Tire Rack they have several types of tires for the car.

If you ever do try to sell the car and it does not have 18s on it you are going to have great difficulty selling with the "wrong" wheels or getting a good price for it.

Just a few thoughts.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
You have some valid points, however:

- Going down to 17s would just mean going up in tire profile. The gap between fender and tire will remain the same in almost all circumstances. Additionally, smaller wheels/higher profile tires actually make a vehicle look lower than if you did it the other way around.

- My guess is, not everyone has the ability to keep two sets at any given time - be it financial or just lack of room. Not to mention, having two (reasonable) sets will cost more than just having one (i.e. using sales from selling one set to offset the cost of the second set).

Old 08-02-2009, 05:12 PM
all valid points - but I have the G37 19s as my DD wheels

Last edited by popcornten; 08-04-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Must be some recession!!
You've got what I call a brand new luxury car and you can't afford to keep the wheels?

Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by neal.a.nelson
Must be some recession!!
You've got what I call a brand new luxury car and you can't afford to keep the wheels?
.... read the post RIGHT before you just said that.... wow man, the least you could do is read what you're responding to...especially the one you're responding to

the stock wheels/tires for the car are long gone for me. I just sold my extra set of 350Z 18s today so I'm ready to seriously buckle down and find some 17s - gotta test fit them first though

oh - and mike, I'm probably gonna go with like a 245-45/17 all the way around so the wheel diameter (i.e. gap) is going to look ridiculous haha, but oh well. Smaller sidewall equals quicker turn in

Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by popcornten
oh - and mike, I'm probably gonna go with like a 245-45/17 all the way around so the wheel diameter (i.e. gap) is going to look ridiculous haha, but oh well. Smaller sidewall equals quicker turn in
That i'd like to see. A lowered 4x4... or a glorified go-kart?

So, weren't you planning on doing the Akebono's eventually?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
That i'd like to see. A lowered 4x4... or a glorified go-kart?

So, weren't you planning on doing the Akebono's eventually?
it would look absolutely absurd haha

i "want" them, but they're not worth the money. our S brakes are pretty damn good as it is, can't see spending $1500. And I think they'll fit behind the g35 coupe 17x8s, I think i've seen Brembo cars with those wheels so we'll see. but probably no Akebonos for me - Just upgraded pads

Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Funny you should say that, i've heard more stories of the Akebono's (on coupes) fading on than our S brakes on the track. Nissan does have S-Tuned pads for them now, would be nice if they did the same for us. Then again, there's always Carbotech.

Gotta admit though, they look purdy. I admire them every chance i get... i keep having second thoughts on whether to install them or not, mainly due to the donut not fitting over 'em.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Funny you should say that, i've heard more stories of the Akebono's (on coupes) fading on than our S brakes on the track. Nissan does have S-Tuned pads for them now, would be nice if they did the same for us. Then again, there's always Carbotech.

Gotta admit though, they look purdy. I admire them every chance i get... i keep having second thoughts on whether to install them or not, mainly due to the donut not fitting over 'em.
I'm still trying to sort that out, but I went ahead anyway.
I have a track 18 that I can carry temporarily.
I'm hoping to find a G37S spare at the wreckers.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Ian, you're certainly on a roll... CO's, rims, Akebono's... what else do you have up your sleeves? By the way, why the CO? Are the 370's not working to your liking? Just curious.

I actually have a spare wheel that will fit over the akebono's, but as you know it's way bigger and pretty much eats up the trunk. I'm hoping to get G37s spares, preferably used ones... new spares are $400 a pop!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
COs?
Short answer; better performance.
I plan to do the occasional HPDE etc.

The 370Z's are great for a cosmetic drop but don't add anything in the way of better handling.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:26 PM
ugh yes the akebonos are gorgeous! oh well, sucks they fade more. They don't actually stop any shorter when cold, so they seem purely aesthetic

can you just buy a spacer to push the donut out? i would think that works if it's the spokes that don't clear

Old 08-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Who, my response got deleted somehow. Anyway, Ian, CO=CoilOvers, sorry about that.

Ajay, are you sure they don't stop any shorter when cold though? The extra mass on the rotors should be good for extra heat capacity, although it also takes longer to cool down... and from what i've read there are diminishing returns to be had as you go bigger on most daily driven vehicles that see occassional track duty.

No go on the spacer, as you'll see on my test fit there's barely room for the caliper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will 16" wheels fit over S brake?